Taking the train from Toulon to Aix-en-Provence

tasha4860

Has anyone done this? Is it relatively simple? I understand that the train station is a 20-minute walk from the Toulon port. Any one have a website for the train so I can check the schedule (it'll be a Saturday) to make sure we can get there & back without missing our ship departure?

Has anyone done this? Is it relatively simple? I understand that the train station is a 20-minute walk from the Toulon port. Any one have a website for the train so I can check the schedule (it'll be a Saturday) to make sure we can get there & back without missing our ship departure?

Tasha,

Not sure if you are traveling with RCCL or not but if so.....you actually dock in La Seyne sur Mer. We found out the hard way. The train station is a 20 minute cab ride from there. I would definitely recommend a taxi. There was one waiting at the end of the pier. It is possible to do Aix en Provence by train....we just did on 6/12. Let me know what kind of questions you have....I can answer almost anything about it :)

Here is the map and info that you can get from the guest relations desk. You can see the location of voyager at the bottom right of the map and up at the top where it says Toulon City is approximately where the train station is. Trust me when I say that it is not walkable....at least not in time to catch a train....and the trains from Toulon to Marseille and Marseille to Aix only run around every 2 hours. You will have to change trains in Marseille.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2077810550106566457QLaaRY

It really does depend on where your ship docks, and we too, found that out the hard way. We docked in La Seyne sur Mer and had to find out that the car rental place was across the bay in Toulon, which wasn't where we thought it was. Make sure you dock in Toulon before making any plans. We wasted 2 hours on this little details! We rented a car and drove to Aix.

Edited by AnnieB925

AnnieB925,

Did you find the car rental in Toulon an easy walk or can they deliver to the port? Was it Sixt car rental?

And did you enjoy the drive to Aix? We have read the road/highway are good to travel on.

Thank You,

Diane and Roy

• 3 weeks later...

We will be docking at La Seyne sur Mer on August 3rd. We were thinking of renting a car but why does the trip from La Seyne sur Mer to Toulon (6 miles) take 45 minutes? Is the traffic really bad? Hubby is now leaning towards booking a ship excursion due to the traffic.

What about taking the train to Cassis, there is a train that leaves La Seyne Six Four for Cassis. Is this closer than going into Toulon to catch a train? Has anyone done this? Do we take a taxi?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

• 2 years later...
Tasha,

Not sure if you are traveling with RCCL or not but if so.....you actually dock in La Seyne sur Mer. We found out the hard way. The train station is a 20 minute cab ride from there. I would definitely recommend a taxi. There was one waiting at the end of the pier. It is possible to do Aix en Provence by train....we just did on 6/12. Let me know what kind of questions you have....I can answer almost anything about it :)

Can you help me? We are arriving on Celebrity November 28th and want to go to Aix En Provence. Any idea how much a cab ride is & how long? Thank you

• 2 years later...

Hi Tasha,

Have you taken the train? Can you please give me some information? We will going on a cruise & Toulon is one of the ports. Many are suggesting that we can do the tour on our own, so I would like to know if the train is accessible and more practical than doing the shore excursion. Appreciate your response - my email address is lenacabal@gmail.com.

• 1 year later...

Back in 2010, I looked at trying to get from Toulon to Aix En Provence on our own via train, and found it wasn't do-able as the train runs infrequently (I think it was once every 2 hours?), and requires a transfer at Marseilles. We wound up booking a shore excursion of Aix with the cruiseline (Celebrity), which included free time to wander the alley ways of Aix. It was a terrific experience.