Can you bring food out from the ship?

CH_ca

Take some sandwich bags with you....You can either pack cold cuts that they usually have out in the morning or you can order room service the night before.

Take a small soft cooler and you can pack them in there with some bottled water or cans of pop. Don't bring the food back on the ship!

We do this all the time and we may hear from people on here that we are tight or cheap...Or it's against the rules..What ever!

Can someone tell me how to make sandwiches on the ship and bring them along to your road trip?

Assuming you're on the PoA: Go to Aloha Cafe at breakfast. They open very early, before Skyline and Liberty open for breakfast. There's a station with breads, some meats and cheeses. Make your sandwiches and put on a plate. You'll have to do without lettuce, tomato, etc., but I did find mayo and there is mustard at the tables in the cafe. Cover with another plate and take back to your stateroom (I took breakfast back to the stateroom EVERY morning this way). You might want to grab some fruits too. Transfer the sandwiches to zip lock bags you brought from home (or purchased before boarding). I didn't bring a soft cooler and actually had no problem bringing uneaten food back on the ship (probably because it was in my bag with all my other junk). But even if I'd had to throw it away upon reboarding, no big deal!

We brought the sandwich bags and ziploc gallon bags and the collapsible soft cooler bag. We filled the gallon bags with ice from the Alaho Cafe. Since I am a vegetarian I made my sandwiches with cheese, tomato and hard boiled egg. I would get an egg first thing and put it in a glass with ice. By the time I was done eating, it was cool enough to make a sandwich with.

My making sandwiches had nothing to do with trying to save a few dollars, although that was an added benefit. The main reason we made our lunches was so we would not have to take our limited touring time and use it up at a restaurant. We do not go on vacation to eat at nice restaurants. We go on vacation to see all the beautiful scenery and attactions that are special to our vacation destination. Food is really low on our priority list. With a limited amount of time on each island we were trying to maximize our touring. We were quite successful.

I was careful to read all the literature in our stateroom right upon arrival. I was specifically looking for information about taking food off the ship. I saw nothing posted anywhere.

ALthough we never brought the food back on the ship, as we had eaten it all, we did bring back beverages. In Kona, the security opened my sister's Pepsi bottle and smelled it. They also opened our cooler bag at one port to check what our beverages were (water and pepsi). So, they do seem to watch somewhat for what you are bringing back.

$3 to $5 savings?

Funinla,

On the islands can you expect to pay more than $3 to $5 dollars for a quick meal. A simple sandwich was typically $10 at any of the places where we stopped and grabbed a bite to eat. At one place we stopped on Maui (near Hana) it was burgers and fries for four (4) people, and the bill with tip was $70. For the budget concious, having a sandwich to tide you over until you can return for a larger meal can save you several hundred dollars over the period of a week.

Ch_ca,

Riofriotex has it right, there is typically coldcuts, cheeses and rolls/bread available in the Aloha cafe. But you will need to bring sandwich bags.

Enjoy your vacation!

ddaz

GBY

My making sandwiches had nothing to do with trying to save a few dollars, although that was an added benefit. The main reason we made our lunches was so we would not have to take our limited touring time and use it up at a restaurant. We do not go on vacation to eat at nice restaurants. We go on vacation to see all the beautiful scenery and attactions that are special to our vacation destination. Food is really low on our priority list. With a limited amount of time on each island we were trying to maximize our touring. We were quite successful.

This. Exactly. Which is also why I really don't care much about the quality of food on the ship, as long as it's edible.

ALthough we never brought the food back on the ship, as we had eaten it all, we did bring back beverages. In Kona, the security opened my sister's Pepsi bottle and smelled it. They also opened our cooler bag at one port to check what our beverages were (water and pepsi). So, they do seem to watch somewhat for what you are bringing back.

I imagine they are checking primarily for alcohol.:) I think I was never checked because I didn't have a cooler. My water bottle and any uneaten food were in a bag with a guide book, maps, postcards I bought, the beach towel, and water shoes.

I appreciate the warning though about not taking food off outside the USA, funinla.

Food is a huge part of a destination's culture and a big part of why we go on vacation. Eating their food is part of the experience of visiting a place and if you are only eating what you would at home, then you're missing out. Regarding being "budget conscious", I also would not travel until I could afford to experience some of the food.

That being said, there is only so much loco moco and spam & eggs you can eat in a week. ;) Packing a lunch because of a tight schedule is understandable but I personally feel like I'd be missing out on a HUGE part of Hawaii if I packed a sandwich every day.

Food is a huge part of a destination's culture and a big part of why we go on vacation. Eating their food is part of the experience of visiting a place and if you are only eating what you would at home, then you're missing out. Regarding being "budget conscious", I also would not travel until I could afford to experience some of the food.

That being said, there is only so much loco moco and spam & eggs you can eat in a week. ;) Packing a lunch because of a tight schedule is understandable but I personally feel like I'd be missing out on a HUGE part of Hawaii if I packed a sandwich every day.

All true. Different priorities - different strokes for different folks. I did try to eat "local" (including Spam and Portuguese sausage at breakfast, and loco moco too) when we did eat at restaurants (primarily on Oahu though); and my mom had a whole list of places gleaned from guide books where we stopped to get shaved ice, smoothies, chocolate huapia pie, etc. I think vbmom87 and I were responding more to the implication that we did this (packed a lunch) to save money, when that was not the case - we did it to save time. If you build the time into your plans to stop at restaurants, that is great, but it may take some time away from doing or seeing something else.

BTW it's been two weeks now and my body misses the NCL muesli at breakfast and having fresh pineapple EVERY day! :)

... if you are only eating what you would at home, then you're missing out.
I disagree. I've traveled quite a bit and on 20-30 cruises, and food isn't a huge part of the experience to me nor do I feel like I'm missing out. Food just isn't that important to me. People like different things. I like to maximize my time experiencing the geography, architecture, museums, etc. Net: do what you enjoy, not everyone will enjoy the same thing. If you enjoy it (and it's legal :-) ), that's all that matters.

BTW it's been two weeks now and my body misses the NCL muesli at breakfast and having fresh pineapple EVERY day! :)

LOL! That's how I felt about corned beef hash after coming back from my RCL Med cruise!! I ate it every morning!

I disagree. I've traveled quite a bit and on 20-30 cruises, and food isn't a huge part of the experience to me nor do I feel like I'm missing out. Food just isn't that important to me. People like different things. I like to maximize my time experiencing the geography, architecture, museums, etc. Net: do what you enjoy, not everyone will enjoy the same thing. If you enjoy it (and it's legal :-) ), that's all that matters.

You're right. It's different strokes for different folks. I think your reference to "museums" particularly drove that home to me because I don't like going to museums. I guess I feel like people are missing out because I've been exposed to so many different types of food during my travels that I love but I'm sure people would say the same thing about things they learn/discover at museums that I would normally skip. People should absolutely do what they enjoy!

Can someone tell me how to make sandwiches on the ship and bring them along to your road trip?

We absolutely have to know which ship and cruise line you are on. If it's NCLA's Pride of America, then yes you can. Be sure to bring plenty of ice to keep the food fresh and safe to eat. If you're on any other ship, absolutely not and no exceptions.

PoA is the only ship where passengers are allowed to bring food off the ship. All other have at least one non-Hawaii stop and do not remain exclusively in Hawaii's waters. They are subject to the strict and very necessary agricultural laws of the state.

beachchick

We absolutely have to know which ship and cruise line you are on. If it's NCLA's Pride of America, then yes you can. Be sure to bring plenty of ice to keep the food fresh and safe to eat. If you're on any other ship, absolutely not and no exceptions.

PoA is the only ship where passengers are allowed to bring food off the ship. All other have at least one non-Hawaii stop and do not remain exclusively in Hawaii's waters. They are subject to the strict and very necessary agricultural laws of the state.

beachchick

Will the ships where this is not allowed inform the passengers of this?

When I was planning my trip to Alaska I kept reading on CC threads that we would not be allowed to take food off the ship. Therefore I listened and we did not bring anything off the ship. However, our dailies never said a thing about this. I never saw anything posted as we disembarked at each port. The only time I heard any mention of not taking food off was at our final disembarking port which happened to be Seward. If memory serves me right (no guarentees) I think the PA announcement just mentioned fresh fruits and vegetables.

I am a firm believer of following rules and regulations; always have been, always will. However, it is up to the cruise ships to inform the passengers of any regulations they need to be aware of. If they don't, there is no way the average passenger will know.

When we went to Alaska there were a lot of people that packed food to take with them...most were renting cars. I know we did every day that we rented a car.

We never brought food back on the ship because we knew they would scan everything.

IMHO enough about this....This is a subject that can get heated so.....

There is one other point to be made . Do NOT take food from the ship at the end of the cruise if you are returning to the mainland .Hawaii has very strict rules ( and agricultural inspection at the airports ) about not taking certain plant and animal materials into and out of Hawaii .

There can be substantial fines for violations .

Will the ships where this is not allowed inform the passengers of this?

When I was planning my trip to Alaska I kept reading on CC threads that we would not be allowed to take food off the ship. Therefore I listened and we did not bring anything off the ship. However, our dailies never said a thing about this. I never saw anything posted as we disembarked at each port. The only time I heard any mention of not taking food off was at our final disembarking port which happened to be Seward. If memory serves me right (no guarentees) I think the PA announcement just mentioned fresh fruits and vegetables.

I am a firm believer of following rules and regulations; always have been, always will. However, it is up to the cruise ships to inform the passengers of any regulations they need to be aware of. If they don't, there is no way the average passenger will know.

Yep, but there will be passengers who claim never to have heard or seen anything (I don't mean you), even though there will be notices in the ship's dailies, signs at the piers, and even announcements.

I think it's up to the cruise lines to inform passengers, but it's also up to the local authorities to enforce it. You've no doubt seen the amenesty bins at the airports in Hawaii, as well as the food sniffing dogs and Dept of Agriculture agents. They're pretty serious about it--as they should be.

In Alaska, it may be that they only regulate fruits and vegetables, so that would be the only thing they announce, check, etc.?

When we went to Alaska there were a lot of people that packed food to take with them...most were renting cars. I know we did every day that we rented a car.

We never brought food back on the ship because we knew they would scan everything.

IMHO enough about this....This is a subject that can get heated so.....

This is interesting to hear because Alaska has some pretty strict agricultural laws about import/export. There were no agents at the piers or signs or anything? That's surprising.

beachchick

How would they know if you bring food off the ship? I don't think they scan bags going OFF the ship...

They don't scan bags going off the ship but at ports that are really strict about this, the port officials have dogs sniff your bags and if they find food, you will have to throw it away and you will also be fined. Sometimes they will have dogs sniff your bags when you board the ship too because you're not allowed to bring unwrapped food items onboard either. Often unwrapped French/Italian cheeses and Italian salamis lost their lives in the trash cans of European ports! :(

I just wanted to point out that they don't do this because they want you to buy your lunch in their town. They are trying to prevent agricultural issues. For example, fruit from another country could harbor insects that are not natural to the port of call and the spread of that insect could be disastrous to that region's crops.

Since you never leave the USA, the usual rules about bringing off food in the ports don't apply. They are mainly concerned with fresh fruits that could introduce harmful insects or diseases into the environment.

We'll probably make some sandwiches for our rental car trips. Like others have said, who wants to spend precious time in a restaurant when you could be out seeing the sights. Also, while sightseeing, it is very possible there won't be any fast food restaurants located where we are, when we are hungry.

But, we'll probabl take in a local bite here and there. Are the meals really that expensive, or are they just that way in the "tourist" spots? I'm sure things in general cost more in Hawaii due to importing, but what about locally produced food? Surely the locals don't pay twice as much for food as we do on the mainland!

I'll be on the lookout for some good local places to try, but it needs to be fast food and not table service!

Since you never leave the USA, the usual rules about bringing off food in the ports don't apply. They are mainly concerned with fresh fruits that could introduce harmful insects or diseases into the environment.

We'll probably make some sandwiches for our rental car trips. Like others have said, who wants to spend precious time in a restaurant when you could be out seeing the sights. Also, while sightseeing, it is very possible there won't be any fast food restaurants located where we are, when we are hungry.

But, we'll probabl take in a local bite here and there. Are the meals really that expensive, or are they just that way in the "tourist" spots? I'm sure things in general cost more in Hawaii due to importing, but what about locally produced food? Surely the locals don't pay twice as much for food as we do on the mainland!

I'll be on the lookout for some good local places to try, but it needs to be fast food and not table service!

Just to remake the point: This is very true, but only on Pride of America (which I believe you are?). It is against the law for passengers on all other ships.

Local food is expensive, but no more so than any US tourist-heavy location. There are many, many places to find a great and inexpensive meal. It's simply an expensive place to live, but then again so is New York, New Orleans, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and so on.

beachchick

I have always used a small oblong Rubbermaid/tupperware type container which fits into a small backpack I use for cruises. Just bought a larger one in an Italian $$ store. I leave them in my suitcases between trips. Saves time, money and I always know my lunch is fresh.

We will be on the POA and I am glad to see it is ok to make sandwiches and take them off the ship. I am also a rule-keeper and would not do so if it were against the rules. However, we are planning on a couple of beach days and like the idea of being able to find a spot to relax without worrying if there are places to eat near by.

I would not do this every day as I also enjoy local cuisine when I travel (yes, I eat in Mexican ports!). However, convenience is important, too.

There are two (at least) different things about our upcoming POA cruise:

1) Taking off food is not illegal (as it was on every prior cruise.)

2) We are renting a car and not sure exactly where we will go at what time, and where the food is.

We would definitely prefer a local bite to eat at a casual place, and cost does not sound like a big factor for some of the places the locals eat at, so we will surely eat out some for lunch. It's just nice to not HAVE to do so, or to return to the ship for lunch.

Archived