Natural History replacing Tundra?

JohnR49er

We upgraded from the Natural History to the Tundra Wilderness Tour when we booked our cruisetour. They are both still showing up on the Cruise Personalizer. I wonder what is going to happen with that? :confused:

Sue

I noticed the change on the Princess website and immediately called them to see what was going on. Per the Princess rep I spoke with, if you are already booked on the TW tour then you will get it....all future bookings will get the shorter tour. Our itinerary still shows the longer tour. But having done the shorter tour a few years ago, I would have changed/cancelled as the longer tour was a big reason for us selecting the tour we did.

If anyone is considering Princess for Alaska this summer, double check with them about this so you will not be disappointed.

I wanted to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, as well, but was told by a Princess Rep that I couldn't. According to Princess, they were only able to have a certain number of TWT tickets from the Gov't this year. I went off on my own, did some research and was able to book my own through the National Park Service. I have also been told by two Princess reps that if I opt not to take the Natural History Tour, which is already part of my package with them, that I will get a refund. I am waiting to get my confirmation from the National Park Service before canceling the NHT with Princess.

On another note, I've read many posts of how people bypass the extra charge of the TWT by simply purchasing a shuttle bus ticket. This ticket allows you to go in as far as the TWT, sometimes even further, I believe. Disadvantages; no lunch is provided, no tour guide on the bus. (I've been told the shuttle bus driver's are just as informative as the tour guides and that many people take their own bagged lunces.)

All in all, I am glad I booked the TWT, even if it does cost more. This will be my first time in Alaska, so the extra money is worth it to me. Next time, when I have a better grasp on travel and the area, etc., I'll consider a shuttle bus.

For anyone interested in comparing the different tours/shuttles or purchasing tickets visit the NPS website for Denali or this site: http://www.reservedenali.com/

Beth

I wanted to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, as well, but was told by a Princess Rep that I couldn't. According to Princess, they were only able to have a certain number of TWT tickets from the Gov't this year. I went off on my own, did some research and was able to book my own through the National Park Service. I have also been told by two Princess reps that if I opt not to take the Natural History Tour, which is already part of my package with them, that I will get a refund. I am waiting to get my confirmation from the National Park Service before canceling the NHT with Princess.

On another note, I've read many posts of how people bypass the extra charge of the TWT by simply purchasing a shuttle bus ticket. This ticket allows you to go in as far as the TWT, sometimes even further, I believe. Disadvantages; no lunch is provided, no tour guide on the bus. (I've been told the shuttle bus driver's are just as informative as the tour guides and that many people take their own bagged lunces.)

All in all, I am glad I booked the TWT, even if it does cost more. This will be my first time in Alaska, so the extra money is worth it to me. Next time, when I have a better grasp on travel and the area, etc., I'll consider a shuttle bus.

For anyone interested in comparing the different tours/shuttles or purchasing tickets visit the NPS website for Denali or this site: http://www.reservedenali.com/

Beth

For clairfication- ALL buses go on the SAME ROAD, distances are different. THERE is NO RISK if you consider the Shuttle bus other than you will have to plan your food and drink. :) In the past, there were no refunds for tours not taken- report back when you get your refund- should be about $35?? I have taken the shuttle bus into Denali Park for YEARS. The drivers are just excellent and well informed- and the added distance is way superior and more than enough reason to consider the shuttles. Anyone who has been to Denali Park would NEVER recommend the Natural History tour- a complete waste of time, the pity are the people who don't even know the difference, and there are plenty. So do all you can to get as far as possible into the park- never compromise, this is your top attraction Interior Alaska. :) come and enjoy and see what I mean. :)

Beth,

Did you work through your TA or just called princess directly? We are also thinking of upgrading to the Tundra Tour

Toddt,

I got the answers to my questions from Princess directly. I have the names and dates of the reps I spoke with. I independently booked the TWT through www.reservedenali.com As soon as I get my confirmation in regards to my TWT tickets, I will need to call my TA to get the refund. I cannot call Princess directly to make any changes, just to ask questions. I will report back to this board when I do that (as well as the May 14th Coral thread) to keep everyone updated.

We're on the same cruise, though I went back to see that you are on tour 14N. (we're on 9N). If you book the TWT independently, be sure to schedule it with plenty of cushion around train schedules! Originally, our Nat'l Hist Tour was for the 24th of May. It really depended on what time the TWT started in the AM if we would have time to make our train connection in the PM to the next city. (You don't know what time the tour starts until you pick your tickets up the day prior). After researching some more, we get to Denali at 11:15am on the 23rd of May. The TWT tour in the PM starts between 1:15pm & 3:15pm. We had nothing else scheduled this day so that is the day we picked. No trains to catch, just have to sleep after the tour :-)

Budget Queen,

Thank you for the clarification. I've looked at all the info and read the books so many times, I tend to leave out the very basic info sometimes. I really look to your posts on this board as being factual and very helpful. Thanks so much!

:-)

Seitseman,

I wouldn't consider the lunch feature at all when debating between the shuttle and the Tundra tour. Both myself and my girlfriend have long reputations of eating like birds, but this "lunch" was a snack. More to the point, most of it was really not what I wanted to eat (and I didn't) ... reindeer sausage, small amount of packaged cheese, some crackers or chips (don't remember), small water and an apple from what I recall. (On the positive side, the lunch is served in a carboard box with sillouettes of animals and it says Tundra Wilderness Tour!) We were well advised to bring our own food along. Packing the lunch is incredibly easy. The hotels in the area all have counter service places that serve breakfast and lunch and the lunches are designed to be wrapped for you to take on the bus. There is also subway across the street from Princess. So, all it requires is a little bit of extra time to stop off before boarding the bus.

The only tangible difference between the tours is the distance issue and that the shuttle doesn't give you a souveneire at the end - which was nice, but not a decisionmaker. They used to give cups that were apparently nice, but were often discarded by tourists who had already overstuffed their luggage with items they intentionally purchased ... the park didn't like the fact that the wilderness programs were contributing to a large amount of Denali cups in landfills. So, last year they gave spiral bound book of information and very nice pictures of the park and wildlife.

Whether the driver/guide on the tour gives more information than the driver on the shuttle is something I don't know. This fear is certainly what drove us to go with the TWT. Many here unconditionally state that the shuttle commentary is all you could want, so maybe it is. (BQ says it and she certainly likes to get the most out of her trips) I didn't mind the money for that guarantee, but in retrospect part of that is probably because Mt. McKinnley was out so our tour was extended past the Tolkat to Stony Hill, where we got in some great bear watching.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

As promised, I am reporting back regarding the TWT and getting a refund from Princess for the "unused" NHT. I got my park service confirmation yesterday for our TWT. I called my TA and she called Princess while I was still on the phone with her. Princess DID refund the Natural History Tour that my roommate and I have decided not to participate in because of our TWT.

I understand, money wise, the shuttle is a much better deal. But, since this is my first cruise and first tour of Alaska, I don't mind the TWT price. If there is a next time when I visit Denali, then I will DEFINITELY keep the shuttles in mind at that point. (I guess never having been in the "real wilderness" makes me wonder... If I were to get off the shuttle and wait for the next one to come along, and a bear appears, where do I take shelter until the next shuttle arrives?? Call me inexperienced... :-) )

Food was not a deciding factor for the tour, however, I do thank jrask for detailing the "lunch" that you receive. After hearing of the "snack", I do plan on taking some snacks/extra sandwich/extra water on the bus.

Archived