Uniworld baggage tags

mickym

Well, the docs are here so we are getting closer but it is taking FOREVER!!

The cruise ticket contract states that all luggage must be "distinctly labeled with the Passenger's full name, the name of the Vessel, the stateroom number of Passenger and the sailing date of the Vessel." The luggage tags supplied by Uniworld only have a space for our name, address and phone #. Where are we supposed to display the other information?

Thanks for the help.

Hello again Moe,

Yes, I guess excited would be a better term. I am having a hard time not packing but am restraining myself for now. So far this year we took an ocean cruise, threw my father a big party for his 90th birthday, had our oldest grandson graduate high school, our youngest son got married two weeks ago, our second youngest son and wife had a new baby a week ago and now I finally have time to think about this cruise. Now time is going very slow with rain here every day and I am off work in the summer so it's time to get the show on the road or on the river.

I ended up making a luggage tag resembling the ones used by ocean cruise lines. I printed the information requested and laminated them with packing tape and taped them together on the handle of the suitcases. Does it sound like I am looking for cruise things to do here? Anyway, they seem pretty visible and strong so should do the trick I guess.

Hi mickym

I am not as restrained as you because I have my suitcase and carry on opened in a spare room. When I think of something I move it into that room... in and around the suitcases (more fun than a paper list). I have a calendar and I cross off every day....to July 5th :D

Well ya, I have that going on too. My suitcase is open, with the newly made and included tags, on the spare room bed. The things I don't need for here but do for there are all in that room. The clothes I don't need before then are washed, ironed and hanging at the ready. But now I've run out of things to do so just keep hoping on here. We fly into NY on July 4th so less then three weeks now. I have read all the material three times, have everything I need in a folder so I guess that's it till that last week which I'm sure will get very crazy.

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one who did this! I have been buying "little" items for my trip (small bottles of Wrinkle Release) and putting them on the extra bed! Yesterday, I bought new luggage and every time I walk by the bedroom, I glance and grin!

That's so funny!! I guess the fact that we frequent this site pretty much says we are majorly into this. I never think washing and ironing is fun but now when I iron a shirt and hang it up it's all kind of exciting. We all know that by the time they all rip our luggage apart no one will ever know anything was ironed but I need trip preparations right now so right now, hanging in the extra bedroom my clothes look so nice and trip ready. Now I am going on you tube and trying to teach my husband and myself to polka and waltz. I want to polka in Germany and waltz in Vienna. It's not looking to promising at the moment but the activity might help me fit into my newly ironed clothes a little better.

You definitely want to label all your bags with name, address and phone number. Keep your travel doc's with you especially the location of the ship. I usually make a copy and put it in my wife's carry on as well. If you arrive and your bags don't, you will need to fill out information at the airline lost baggage desk - ship name, location and any phone number that they send to you in the doc's. On our rhine cruise last year we arrived in Brussels and our bags stayed in London so we filled out all the info and then took the transfers provided to the ship in Antwerp. Felt funny being bagless. When we returned from dinner that night, opened the door and there they were - no longer bagless. When we took our first river cruise someone gave us advise which I'll share - "lay out all the stuff you want to bring and then pack half of it". OK if you must know, I didn't take that advise, now I know better. We spent 5 days in Paris and took the Paris - Normandy cruise this past April. Funny how river cruising gets into your blood and you can't wait to go again.

Everyone, have a wonderful time! I'm jealous!

Dave

Thanks Dave for all the good advise and now I have something else to do, make some copies. Not so sure about the only taking half thing. I'm sure it's good advise but probably not one I will follow. We have had lost bags several times but always on the way home so not a big problem. We don't seem to have the best luck with air travel so I have kind of gotten to expecting some complications. So far nothing serious enough to keep me on the ground.

Take a picture of your luggage and save it on your digital camera.That way if your suitcases are lost you will be able to give an exact description. I've done this for years and never needed to use it till last April when we were delayed by the volcano.We had to get our luggage pulled off a plane when the following connection was cancelled out of JFK and the picture came in handy when we showed it to the gait attendent. Otherwise our luggage would have gone to JFK while we were stuck in Cincinnati!!:eek:

Another idea is to get the tags that you can put a copy of your itinerary in.The tags are bright yellow and say in many languages that an itinerary is inside. Your luggage could than catch up with you.

What good ideas. The one problem is our luggage looks just like 90% of the luggage on any trip I've been on. If I buy new I hope I can find something a little more original. I do have a ribbon on each handle which helps. Where do you get a tag with a place for your itinerary?

If you do get luggage tags to put your itinerary in, do NOT put your home address on the luggage tags. We use our office address or if someone sees that you will be gone for a certain amount of time they could rob your home.

I've told everyone I know to NOT post on Facebook thatthey were going on vacation. We have heard of people's home being robbed while they were vacationing.

sheila

I purchased a bright pink strap to go around my luggage and I see it when it comes off the conveyor belt. (around $10). I think it also deters baggage handlers from getting in my luggage.

On a piece of paper I also write:

This Camera is the property of:

My name

My address

Cell number

That is the first photo on my camera. I have never lost my camera, but just in case......

What good ideas. The one problem is our luggage looks just like 90% of the luggage on any trip I've been on. If I buy new I hope I can find something a little more original. I do have a ribbon on each handle which helps. Where do you get a tag with a place for your itinerary?

http://europeforvisitors.com/europe/articles/packing-accessories-luggage-tags.htm

If you do get luggage tags to put your itinerary in, do NOT put your home address on the luggage tags. We use our office address or if someone sees that you will be gone for a certain amount of time they could rob your home.

I've told everyone I know to NOT post on Facebook thatthey were going on vacation. We have heard of people's home being robbed while they were vacationing.

sheila

I don't worry about that where I live. We don't even lock our doors most of the time. Only when we travel.My dogs would eat anyone who tried to break in. We also have a neighbor watch the house but more to make sure the animals are OK rather then worry about thieves. My Facebook is restricted to friends only.

I purchased a bright pink strap to go around my luggage and I see it when it comes off the conveyor belt. (around $10). I think it also deters baggage handlers from getting in my luggage.

On a piece of paper I also write:

This Camera is the property of:

My name

My address

Cell number

That is the first photo on my camera. I have never lost my camera, but just in case......

Love the camera idea. I'm going to do that too.Thanks!

We also have some very bright straps that make our luggage easier to spot.I think they were sent to us by Globus.

I usually put a single sheet of paper on top of my clothes inside my suitcase... with name, travel destination, tour company etc. That way, if the luggage gets lost - and the tag gets ripped off - they will know who it belongs to if (when) they open it looking for identification. I also put my home contact info --> if it was lost on the way over, and someone phoned the house - they could direct them to our destination (and whoever phoned would know that the house was not empty!!!) Even if no one answered, people would assume someone was at home... Who would leave contact numbers for an empty house??

Archived