Something I don't understand about passports vs birth certs and E Caribbean itinerary

krewzin

I've read numerous posts about obtaining a passport for a cruise....even if it's a 'loop cruise' that starts and then ends in the same U.S. port. And I understand that..... although not a necessity...it's smart to get passports in lieu of using birth certs and driver's licenses.

If you were to miss your departure while in port....or if there was a medical emergency possibly requiring a hospital stay and then a subsequent flight out of port....it certainly makes good sense.

However we are booked on the Solstice, E Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, Fla. Our stops are in: San Juan, St Maarten, and St Thomas. With San Juan being an unincorpraterd territory of the United States, and St Thomas/Maarten being the U.S. Virgin Islands.....would one even need a passport if, for some reason flying back to the states became necessary?

Would not a certified copy of birth, and/or a picture ID/drivers license suffice in this situation?

Thanks!

I've read numerous posts about obtaining a passport for a cruise....even if it's a 'loop cruise' that starts and then ends in the same U.S. port. And I understand that..... although not a necessity...it's smart to get passports in lieu of using birth certs and driver's licenses.

If you were to miss your departure while in port....or if there was a medical emergency possibly requiring a hospital stay and then a subsequent flight out of port....it certainly makes good sense.

However we are booked on the Solstice, E Caribbean cruise out of Ft Lauderdale, Fla. Our stops are in: San Juan, St Maarten, and St Thomas. With San Juan being an unincorpraterd territory of the United States, and St Thomas/Maarten being the U.S. Virgin Islands.....would one even need a passport if, for some reason flying back to the states became necessary?

Would not a certified copy of birth, and/or a picture ID/drivers license suffice in this situation?

Thanks!

No you don't need a passport to fly back to the US mainland from another US territory St Maarten is not a US territory(its Dutch and French)...and even to take the Ferry there to ST Thomas you would need a passport or an enhanced driver's license at least.

From all the others all you need is a government issued picture ID.

i'm pretty sure for that itinerary you will for sure need a passport, especially now that it is june and it is now a requirement to have a passport aboard a cruise ship in the caribbean. for a while it was only needed to fly in and out of the country, but they certainly did not give my boyfriend an easy time back in 2008 when we cruised that itinerary aboard the solstice. he only had his driver's license and his birth certificate and not only did it make me nervous that he didn't have a passport (it's just so much easier), but the person checking us in was taking FOREVER and had to keep asking other employees if it was okay.

any ship that sails to a non-US territory i believe it is now mandatory to have a passport.

i'm pretty sure for that itinerary you will for sure need a passport, especially now that it is june and it is now a requirement to have a passport aboard a cruise ship in the caribbean. for a while it was only needed to fly in and out of the country, but they certainly did not give my boyfriend an easy time back in 2008 when we cruised that itinerary aboard the solstice. he only had his driver's license and his birth certificate and not only did it make me nervous that he didn't have a passport (it's just so much easier), but the person checking us in was taking FOREVER and had to keep asking other employees if it was okay.

any ship that sails to a non-US territory i believe it is now mandatory to have a passport.

Not true. A closed loop cruise (typical Caribbean cruise) that starts/stops at the same US port is still exempt under the WHTI law. The following is from the Department of Homeland Security website:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

While still not mandatory, it's still a good idea to get a passport.

Art

We decided in 2000 before our first cruise to just get passports. We did this because we read (probably on Cruise Critic) that if you don't have the right documentation, you don't get on. Also, picture Driver's Licenses were optional in NJ & mine wasn't. We worried about my DW because her name was different on her birth certificate than on her DL. So we had to have a marriage certificate. We were afraid something would be the wrong thing. We thought that is was better that the Passport Service discovered that something was wrong instead of the cruise line turning us away. Remember, this was before 9/11. It just make things easier. You show your Passport, Credit Card & your Xpress Pass & you're on the ship.

It also helps, now, getting a Driver's License in NJ. You need more documentation to get one than you did before, but a Passport helps a whole lot.

Sadly yet another misinformed traveller offering incorrect advice !

Passport is NOT REQUIRED for a "closed loop" cruise i.e. starting and ending in the same US port, but if you had to fly from a foreign port of call to catch up with the ship or head back to the USA... the passport would BE REQUIRED.

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

You-guys are starting this aaaaaaaaall over again???

Immature, as usual. Perhaps some intelligence might improve your ability to make a decent post, if not, perhaps you should stick to just reading whats on CC.

OP; as others have mentioned not required, but you can be denied debarkation in St. M as they may have different customs/immigration policies, it would be worth it to do some research first if that is the case, would be a shame for you to miss such a beautiful island.

To my knowledge, no island in the Caribbean requires a passport. You need a driver's license or other approved government ID to visit St. M. They will never, ever let you on a cruise without any documentation you need for every port of call, period. If you lack a needed document for a 20 minute stop somewhere, you ain't going. So if the cruise line says birth certificate & DL are all you need, then everything is OK.

Not true. A closed loop cruise (typical Caribbean cruise) that starts/stops at the same US port is still exempt under the WHTI law. The following is from the Department of Homeland Security website:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

While still not mandatory, it's still a good idea to get a passport.

Art

Note that the "copy" of the birth certificate MUST be officially issued by the state or other jurisdiction [generally with a raised seal]. Further note if you have had a name change [marriage or otherwise] they can require officially issued documents [marriage certificate, etc.] tying all the names together. Not always asked for, but if you are asked and don't have them, you are not getting on the ship.

I do travel with my passport, but agree that it is not required for a closed loop.

Thom

Beating_A_Dead_Horse_by_livius.gif

You-guys are starting this aaaaaaaaall over again???

Immature, as usual. Perhaps some intelligence might improve your ability to make a decent post, if not, perhaps you should stick to just reading whats on CC.

I don't believe there has ever been a more INSULTING and IMPUDENT response to a post.....

And it was TOTALLY uncalled for!

Actually, I thought the "Beating a dead horse" was kinda cute.:p

OP; as others have mentioned not required, but you can be denied debarkation in St. M as they may have different customs/immigration policies, it would be worth it to do some research first if that is the case, would be a shame for you to miss such a beautiful island.

And then after such RUDE insolence, you have the GALL to post something this WRONG!!

Nobody will be "denied debarkation" from the ship onto the island! :rolleyes:

The worst that could happen is exactly what the OP originally said,

"although not a necessity...it's smart to get passports in lieu of using birth certs and driver's licenses.

If you were to miss your departure while in port....or if there was a medical emergency possibly requiring a hospital stay and then a subsequent flight out of port....it certainly makes good sense."

Why don't you find some intelligence and get some help for your "Anger Issues"??

To my knowledge, no island in the Caribbean requires a passport. You need a driver's license or other approved government ID to visit St. M. They will never, ever let you on a cruise without any documentation you need for every port of call, period. If you lack a needed document for a 20 minute stop somewhere, you ain't going. So if the cruise line says birth certificate & DL are all you need, then everything is OK.

The French Island's have always required a passport.

The French Island's have always required a passport.
While that may be generally true, St. Martin [the other side of Sint Maarten] is definitely French and has absolutely no border control between it and the Dutch side. In the good ole days prior to 2001 and WHTI no passport was required of US citizens to go to Sint Maarten. While a requirement for a passport may have been on the books there was no enforcement of it.

Thom

Archived