MDR menu and 11 mo. old

onesphinx2004

I just took a look at the MDR menu for our upcoming cruise. Found very little there appropriate for an 11 mo. old. We had hoped to take him to dinner with us...now I don't know. Any insights or suggestions.

Bring your own food. Or ask for steamed vegetables and other steamed or baked food and mash it with your fork. Or ask that it be pureed. I'd think an 11 month old would be ready to eat all sorts of "adult" food, if it were chopped up in manageable pieces for him?

And there are kids menus available-- with things like macaroni and cheese, pasta, other kid-friendly foods. But there was "very little" on the main menu? No fruits? Vegetables? mashed potatoes? pieces of chicken or fish? puddings? bread? cheese and crackers??

DD was 11.5 months when we took her with us last Jan. There were TONS of things she ate on the menu. Roasted chicken, rice, pasta, steamed veggies, poached fruits, steamed fish/ shrimp etc. There is always the kids menu if youre ok feeding your 11 month old hot dogs, mac and cheese, chicken fingers, french fries etc. Our table staff were awesome about bringing crackers and a mellon/ fruit cup for DD when the rest of us had our apps. DD is and always has been a pretty adventuresome eater. She loves curries and spices and all kinds of "non kid" foods.

order any soft foods, at 11mo they are more interested in eating whatever is on your plate. As long as its soft and cut up smaller they can eat it. My 12mo old did fine in the dining room each night on our last cruise. There was always something he could eat. We also brought a few containers of baby food just in case.

Soups are always a great choice too - I would use a fork to pull out the meat and veggies, which are cut and cooked in a way that's perfect for little ones. As the others have said, there are always many choices that will be perfect for your child.

Best,

Mia

We cruised with our then 11 month old in January and brought our own baby food - the Gerber plastic containers were light and easy to pack, along with a box of baby cereal, etc. She was used to eating her food at room temperature so we didn't have to worry about heating it. She joined us in the MDR every night, and ate some combination of the food we brought and things we ordered from the adult menu for her (steamed rice, veggies, salmon, etc). The kids menu was mostly junk food, and even my 5 year old never ordered from it - she'd indulge in the odd slice of pizza at the buffet for lunch, but for dinner she always ordered off the grown up menu. If anything looked a little too adventurous for the kids, we'd just ask for no sauce, etc. and they were happy to modify.

Archived