really pathetic question but...

I would set up the meeting time at 7AM. This way you can tell him what you did the night before as well as what your planning to do that day in port etc... The internet cafe will also be less crowded in the morning. Trying to call, email at night will be iffy because you will be busy doing things and might forget or be late, plus what better way to start the day then to tell someone "you love them and miss them". Have a great cruise.

LOL Exactly! The OP asked for us to help her with the timing of shows, not comment on her relationship. She chose who she is going to marry, and regardless of his flaws or perfect-ness, none of us have to live with him, she does!

I hope the OP has a fabulous cruise, and a long lasting marriage with her guy.

THANK YOU!!!

He is NOT controlling at all. I'm sorry if that's how it's interpreted. It's more of an "i love you and talk to you everyday and going to miss doing that" issue...so we're trying to keep that up. I haven't ever been somewhere where I can't talk to him. I don't see how wanting to talk to him and him wanting to talk to me is an issue? :confused:

Thanks for the wishes on my marriage :D It's not till next year so kind of hard to get excited yet...but everyone says it'll be here before we know it...I hope so...our honeymoon is another cruise with RCI! :D

I would set up the meeting time at 7AM. This way you can tell him what you did the night before as well as what your planning to do that day in port etc... The internet cafe will also be less crowded in the morning. Trying to call, email at night will be iffy because you will be busy doing things and might forget or be late, plus what better way to start the day then to tell someone "you love them and miss them". Have a great cruise.

I too would say try for a morning "connection" since it may be easier to schedule than a later night one. On one cruise, we kept in touch with home (G'rents were keeping the kids) by texting. It was way cheap (like $.50 to send and $.05 to receive) and we felt we connected that way. Also thought it would be easier for the kids NOT to hear our voices so they would not miss us and get weepy. Whatever you do, try to keep it open and loose and not set to a specific time so no one feels bad if the connection can't be made.

I took my twin boys on the Disney Wonder a few years back, we surprised family members and joined them onboard ! DH did not want to go, it was the first time we were apart from each other! We did miss ;) each other..we tried to speak every day if possible. But setting a time can be stressful...you never know were you are going to be...or if you will have a connection etc. Leave him a message, life is short, enjoy your trip!

Love reading all the advice everyone has!!!

uhm yah...not exactly a control issue. More like "I'm going to miss you and would like to talk to you" issue. Thanks for the advice

Thats the right attitude, its our 30th Anniversary next year and we are like that, everyone is different though. I agree with some others, it would be difficult putting a time on it. Good luck with everything.:)

Internet connections can be dicey on a ship...you may set a time but that doesn't mean you will be able to connect at that time.

Why not send emails instead...at least you will be keeping in touch and those can be sent throughout the day without the stress of trying to make certain you get a connection.

Woe have none of you ever been young and in love??

I have been with conrolling men even vilent men ...live and learn.But not all men are the same. My Husband sends me texts just to say he is thinking about me when I am in work and I don't think that is crazy. Also when he gets a job that takes him away for a week he calls EVERY night just to check in . That does not mean he is controlling it means he wants to make sure I am ok and that he misses me. There are still mean out there taht just simply care!!

My dd and I just went without my husband. We agreed to one text message per day just to check in and let him know we were ok and tell him a little about our day.

It's not controlling, it's caring. You do what's best for you. I would not have wanted to have to get to a computer at a time, but that's me, not you.

Most important, have a blast while cruising and don't tell him too much. Take lots of pics and you'll have so much to share when you get back.

I totally appreciate missing you/missing him... but there's part of me that says "absence makes the heart grow fonder"

I was thinking the exact same thing while reading the OP!

Why not write your thoughts down on paper in letters (both of you) during the cruise, then exchange after you return home? You will treasure them, years down the road. There is no substitute for memories you can hold in your hands.

Your cellphone will work at sea. You can always call each other. :-)

You it would be nice if I would her I'll check with her carrier. My cell phone (Centennial Wireless) does not work while at sea and someone else mentioned here that when they used their cell phone while at sea their bill was in the high hundreds because of roaming charges.

To the OP:

Stick with facebook or the Internet. Just let your finance know that because of time differences, shows and slow internet connections at sea you might not always be able to keep to a set time. After all he loves you so he will understand.

If you love each other and you care, you make the time to chat every day, even for just a few moments.

As for the poster who told me to give it another 10 years, I believe at 10 years we will still feel the same way. Those who take time for each other and make the relationship important are the ones who have the most lasting relationships. The day I am too busy to talk to my husband, or he is too busy to talk to me, is the day I will start fearing for my marriage.

If you love each other and you care, you make the time to chat every day, even for just a few moments.

As for the poster who told me to give it another 10 years, I believe at 10 years we will still feel the same way. Those who take time for each other and make the relationship important are the ones who have the most lasting relationships. The day I am too busy to talk to my husband, or he is too busy to talk to me, is the day I will start fearing for my marriage.

First of all, I was just kidding. But I do believe that everyone is different and chatting everyday is not a requirement of a good marriage or relationship. Some spouses do travel or work extensively and it's simply not convenient to do so every day. Doesn't make their marriage any less likely to survive as it is a combination of factors that lead to successful marriages. ;)

Wow, all she wanted to know were the show times for early seating and so many of you seem to want to comment on her relatiosnhip. It's really no ones business. She came here to ask a qustion!

As for her question............

I was just on the Explorer and had early seating and most night the show was at 9 PM but of course that changes sometimes. I remember the first night it was something like 7:45 for all and there is a time change for some itineraries to keep in mind. Hope that helps.

[quote name='cruiseforus']Wow, all she wanted to know were the show times for early seating and so many of you seem to want to comment on her relatiosnhip. It's really no ones business. She came here to ask a qustion!

As for her question............
[/quote]

Sometimes the wording of a thread title will encourage further commentary.

[quote name='cruiseforus']Wow, all she wanted to know were the show times for early seating and so many of you seem to want to comment on her relatiosnhip. It's really no ones business. She came here to ask a qustion!

[/quote]

That's what we do here on CC. :( OF COURSE it's none of our business!

OP, I hope you've had your questions answered and I wish you a wonderful cruise, marriage and long and happy life together.

Thank you soooo much to everyone who answered and understand that just because we want to talk and will miss each other does not make him "controlling". We are just going to send messages to each other on facebook...we have blackberries (mine is going to be off...love him dearly but can't afford a massive cell phone bill due to international roaming charges :eek::eek::eek:) and anytime I send a message on facebook it will be sent to his phone for him to respond because of the app...kind of like texting his way but not quite ;)

I came on here to ask a question, not to be criticized. Nowhere in any of my posts did I imply that he was controlling. We had thought maybe setting a time would work and it didn't and neither of us are flipping out about it...just going to go with the flow. Just because we want to keep communicating does not mean he is checking in on me. This is our first time actually apart for any length of time (two weeks...my family and myself are going to my family's condo five days before, and then five days after) and we are both not looking forward to it. However, I love love LOVE cruises and do intend to enjoy my cruise to its fullest extent :D. Thanks to those who gave me advice and didn't offer ignorant criticism. I just get offended when people assume things that are so far from the truth that it's ridiculous :) My fiance is an amazing person and I cannot imagine living my life without him.

[quote name='sissaysu']Thank you soooo much to everyone who answered and understand that just because we want to talk and will miss each other does not make him "controlling". We are just going to send messages to each other on facebook...we have blackberries (mine is going to be off...love him dearly but can't afford a massive cell phone bill due to international roaming charges :eek::eek::eek:) and anytime I send a message on facebook it will be sent to his phone for him to respond because of the app...kind of like texting his way but not quite ;)

I came on here to ask a question, not to be criticized. Nowhere in any of my posts did I imply that he was controlling. We had thought maybe setting a time would work and it didn't and neither of us are flipping out about it...just going to go with the flow. Just because we want to keep communicating does not mean he is checking in on me. This is our first time actually apart for any length of time (two weeks...my family and myself are going to my family's condo five days before, and then five days after) and we are both not looking forward to it. However, I love love LOVE cruises and do intend to enjoy my cruise to its fullest extent :D. Thanks to those who gave me advice and didn't offer ignorant criticism. I just get offended when people assume things that are so far from the truth that it's ridiculous :) My fiance is an amazing person and I cannot imagine living my life without him.[/quote]

Have a wonderful trip and relax. Time spent apart is difficult, but it sounds like you are planning on enjoying your cruise even more. I would bet your guy will be waiting to pick you up with flowers or something special!

[quote name='sissaysu']Thank you soooo much to everyone who answered and understand that just because we want to talk and will miss each other does not make him "controlling". We are just going to send messages to each other on facebook...we have blackberries (mine is going to be off...love him dearly but can't afford a massive cell phone bill due to international roaming charges :eek::eek::eek:) and anytime I send a message on facebook it will be sent to his phone for him to respond because of the app...kind of like texting his way but not quite ;)

I came on here to ask a question, not to be criticized. Nowhere in any of my posts did I imply that he was controlling. We had thought maybe setting a time would work and it didn't and neither of us are flipping out about it...just going to go with the flow. Just because we want to keep communicating does not mean he is checking in on me. This is our first time actually apart for any length of time (two weeks...my family and myself are going to my family's condo five days before, and then five days after) and we are both not looking forward to it. However, I love love LOVE cruises and do intend to enjoy my cruise to its fullest extent :D. Thanks to those who gave me advice and didn't offer ignorant criticism. I just get offended when people assume things that are so far from the truth that it's ridiculous :) My fiance is an amazing person and I cannot imagine living my life without him.[/QUOTE]

I think you are going with the best option.

I also think that as much as the 'criticism' was bothersome, the people who offered their opinions were genuinely looking to help you. I wouldn't be surprised if some of them had personal experiences with controlling significant others and simply wanted you to avoid what they went through.

Of course, it's still irritating when you didn't ask for opinions. Just wanted to provide a different perspective as to why people offered theirs.

Happy sailing! You and your fiance sound like mature, reasonable adults, and I wish you all the best!

[quote name='sissaysu']THANK YOU!!!
He is NOT controlling at all. I'm sorry if that's how it's interpreted. It's more of an "i love you and talk to you everyday and going to miss doing that" issue...so we're trying to keep that up. I haven't ever been somewhere where I can't talk to him. I don't see how wanting to talk to him and him wanting to talk to me is an issue? :confused:

Thanks for the wishes on my marriage :D It's not till next year so kind of hard to get excited yet...but everyone says it'll be here before we know it...I hope so...our honeymoon is another cruise with RCI! :D[/QUOTE]

Best wishes to your upcoming marriage!

Timing online chats is very difficult, sometimes hit or miss. When I go on weekend cruises with my mom and/or sis, I will basically call him before the ship pulls out of port, then promise to email every day to check up and say I miss you/I love you. He'll do the same, and when I'm back in the US, a phone call goes to say, "be warned, i'm coming home!" :D

Anyone else think it's ironic that the people who want to criticize OP's fiance for supposed controlling behavior have no problem bossing her around themselves? :rolleyes:

OP - have fun! And I agree with the early morning ideas. The ship is so quiet in the morning, and it could be a great way to start your day, checking in and saying 'hi!'

To the OP

I want you to warn your fiancee that it will seem like an eternity between your texts !

I know this because my beloved daughter has just gone on holiday with 2 friends to Barcelona. She set off on the plane at 9.30 am and it was not until 6 pm the next day that she finally got a message through that she was fine. I was not being a controlling mother - I just wanted to know she was alright. The 3 sets of parents were all phoning and facebooking each other to find out who had heard anything. Vacations are not good places to keep in touch. It is her 4th trip away from us. It is the same every time. A daily text home sounds so easy - but it is not always possible.

The people back home can't help but think how long the days are - and for the traveller it is not always easy to get in touch just when you meant to, but you do not want to spoil your trip by worrying that you have missed your promised Facebook message.

I think we find it so easy to keep in touch these days that we sort of expect it all the time. 25 years ago you got one postcard from a 2 week vacation and were thankful.

• 4 weeks later...
I can't comment on the phone call times, etc. as I will be a first-time cruiser in September, but wanted to comment on another aspect of this thread...

[quote name='BroncosFan2010']If you love each other and you care, you make the time to chat every day, even for just a few moments.
As for the poster who told me to give it another 10 years, I believe at 10 years we will still feel the same way. Those who take time for each other and make the relationship important are the ones who have the most lasting relationships. The day I am too busy to talk to my husband, or he is too busy to talk to me, is the day I will start fearing for my marriage.[/quote]

My husband and I are coming up on 19 years together- 16 married- we are the same way... We would still attempt to touch base at some point each day no matter where we are.

At this point, my almost 13 year old son is the same as well- he will still tell me "I love you" in front of his friends... He left yesterday to go on a 10 day trip with a friend- longest he's ever been away from us!- and while he is secure enough to jump at the chance to go, he was texting "I love and miss you guys" while he was on the road last night. My husband grew up in the same type of household and his parents would still hold hands while driving down the road 23 years later (sadly, his mom died at 43 when I was dating my husband). My husband still says "I love you" when he gets off the phone with his dad and my husband is 38 years old.

Wanting to touch base with a fiancee' is not controlling... However, if said man got angry and gave her a hard time if by chance lines were tied up or she was out having fun and phone call could not be made at stated time, well, that would be another issue....

Archived