Anan Creek Bear Viewing

lovebug01

Welcome, I see this is your first post. There is a lot of information on the boards about Anan and the easiest way to find out, is to go back to the main Alaska page and click on the top where it says "Search this Forum" and it will give you a small area to fill in. Put Anan in there and press enter and you will see all of the threads about it.

Yes, I have been to Anan. It is the TOP bear tour choice in Ketchikan. :)

When are you looking at going? IF this season, it it's going to be a matter of who happens to have any unsold space, without any priority for who the operator is. IF available.

listing http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

We have not gone yet but we will be using Family Air to go to Anan in a few weeks.

Hi there, what date are you there? We are flying to Anan with family air on 17th august, off the Sea Princess.

Hi there, what date are you there? We are flying to Anan with family air on 17th august, off the Sea Princess.

We'll be there on July 10th off Island Princess! We added on the Misty Fjords flight as well. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm sure it's going to be amazing though. Dave from Family Air has been great so far!

Thanks to everyones input. I have booked it with Island Wings for July 19th from 8 am to 1 pm. I talked to Dan who is one of the guides who was really helpful and gave me some good information. I look forward to going on this trip. Lots of people from different sites all gave good recommendations with this company. Thanks everyone who wrote back!

This is really late for Anan and outside of peak. There is also a chance of this being canceled, so have back up plans. I have personally had a canceled tour in this timeframe.

This is our 2nd trip to Alaska and would love to see bears at Anan. Our cruise is not until Sept 9. Too late for bears? any other places to view that time of year?

I think you can go to Traitor's Cove from beginning of August to the end of Sept but I'm sure BQ or another Alaska expert will confirm for sure.

This is our 2nd trip to Alaska and would love to see bears at Anan. Our cruise is not until Sept 9. Too late for bears? any other places to view that time of year?

This is later, you have the possibility for Traitor's Cove and Neets Bay. Inquire directly of vendors what they recommend.

I have booked it with Island Wings for July 19th from 8 am to 1 pm. Lots of people from different sites all gave good recommendations with this company.

We did a bear viewing tour to Anan Creek on our last Alaska cruise. It was late August. It was amazing!! Saw lots of black bears and one brown bear. We also went with Island Wings and they were great and very easy to work with.

There were lots of bears and plenty of salmon. We spent a couple of hours and never had a time there weren't bears in sight.

On the way back to Ketchikan, Michelle took us on the "scenic tour," which was an added treat.

Here are a few shots:

Heading for the bears!

This one just posed for me--it's probably my favorite shot of the entire cruise.

This guy came up and camped out on a stump right next to the viewing platform I could have reached out and touched him (but, didn't of course!)

We did see one brown bear during the excursion--showed up downstream from us.

Pretty common sight that day! :D

Have a great time!

Midimarv - Great pics! I am really excited now. Hope we get the same luck with seeing the bears.

Can I ask what type of camera you used? What settings did you have? I am just learning all the camera stuff and want to make sure I don't mess up the pictures IF I get the opportunity....

Thanks!

Midimarv - Great pics! I am really excited now. Hope we get the same luck with seeing the bears.

Can I ask what type of camera you used? What settings did you have? I am just learning all the camera stuff and want to make sure I don't mess up the pictures IF I get the opportunity....

Thanks!

Thank you! Alaska is a dream if you like to use our camera. :) Got some great shots on our wildlife viewing trip with Captain Davy in Sitka, too. :)

I have a Canon Rebel XTi digital SLR. I had a short telephoto (50-300) lens on it. I'd had that camera for only a few months at that point and, like you, I didn't want to mess anything up so I just put it on auto and switched back and forth between portrait (for the bear on the stump right next to us--scary!), distance for some of the shots the bears across the creek, and action for the the same and the brown bear down creek from us.

I hope you see at least as many bears as we did! Good luck!

I am happy to see you saw so many bears on July 8th. We will be there on July 6th and I was worried it would be too early. we are pushing our trip back (from June) so that we can see bears in force but can't go later than this for other reasons.

Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone else been in early July? Did you have good luck?

I am happy to see you saw so many bears on July 8th. We will be there on July 6th and I was worried it would be too early. we are pushing our trip back (from June) so that we can see bears in force but can't go later than this for other reasons.

Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone else been in early July? Did you have good luck?

You are going to Anan??? Yes, this would be your best opportunity, IF you aren't going interior Alaska.

We are going to be there Aug 9. I wanted to go to Anan and contacted Island Wings. They say they only do Anan for the month of July. We still went with Island Wings however had to accept Traitor's Cove. Does anyone know how the two sites compare?

We are going to be there Aug 9. I wanted to go to Anan and contacted Island Wings. They say they only do Anan for the month of July. We still went with Island Wings however had to accept Traitor's Cove. Does anyone know how the two sites compare?

Traitor's Cove, has good sighting stats, in August. You should see bears.

In my opinion, Anan, is definately the top area of the three, usual fly in areas, out of Ketchikan.

Save your money, it was a big disappointment. It was just a fast boat ride on very shining water, only saw Bald Eagles and Sea Lions, which you can see anywhere in Alaska. If you want to see Bears try a flight to Anan Bear Observatory.

It's a toss up though I think the viewing opportunities are a little better at Anan. I've had days at Traitors Cove where we'd only have a dozen sightings. Other times the activity lasted for hours. It's also weather dependent to a degree. The hotter it is, then the less bear activity you'll have..

Has anyone gone to Anan with Breakaway Adventures. It is a 45 minute boat ride there and about half the price. I would be interested in hearing about them.

You are going to Wrangell? Most cruisers don't. This looks like a great touring option. What cruise are you taking?

Yes, I am sure we are getting out of the boat as they have two touring options in Anan. One that is guided where a guide takes you on the trail to the observatory both ways and one where you go on your own and meet back at the appointed time.

We are on the Radiance of the Seas from 9-6 in Ketchikan.

Has anyone gone to Anan with Breakaway Adventures. It is a 45 minute boat ride there and about half the price. I would be interested in hearing about them.

1) Breakaway Adventures is an excellent company to deal with. Absolutely top notch.

2) They operate from WRANGELL, you are coming into KETCHIKAN. So they won't work. The reason they are so much cheaper than the other options you found is because they only have that 45 minutes on the boat (no expensive flight involved). If you were to use them, you would need a plane ride from Ketchikan to Wrangell !!

3) unguided is fine with any company. It is only a 1/2 mile walk to the observatory and there will be others from your group walking there and back at the same time.

Archived