Hotel in Munich

Jesterscourt

For the Passau to Budapest itinerary, most people fly into Munich. Is there a particularly convenient yet charming place to stay that would appeal to pre-cruise passengers who elect to stay in Munich a few days before the cruise? It surprises me that Uniworld for example, doesn't offer a pre-cruise package in Munich (only Prague is offerred).

Jesterscourt,

Munich has lots of hotels and the most convenient area (although maybe not the nicest one) is near the central station. Lots of hotels in Bayerstrasse, Schwanthalerstrasse, Goethestrasse, Schillerstrasse or Arnulfstrasse. As a local it´s pretty hard to make any recommendations as I´m usually not sleeping in hotels in my hometown :D. I had a couple of friends at Hotel Jedermann (small family operated hotel) and didn´t get any complaints :D.

Just make sure that your hotel is close to a tram stop (or subway, suburban train...). Munich is easy to access by public transportation.

Be aware that the airport is a 45 min train ride (suburban train) away from the downtown area (actually it´s not even located within the citiy limits of Munich).

steamboats

My wife and I have stayed at the Kings Hotel First Class several times and have been very happy with it. Close to the train station and easy to get around from. Check Tripadvisor.com for more information. Have fun. Munich is a great city to visit.

We have stayed twice at Sofitel Bayerpost and twice at Le Meridien, both at the central station. Hotels are both well appointed with very good staff and excellent access to public transport. While the area is not particularly charming, we find it convenient and comfortable and we can easily walk to Marienplatz in about 10 minutes. The Excelsior is also in this area and is a more traditional hotel.

For charm, The Torbrau or Platz might be a better choice but the quality of the first two for the price we have paid makes them our first choices.

Thanks for the excellent information concerning being near the Central Station especially since we may have to take the train back to the airport to catch Uniworld's bus to Passau or even take the train ourselves to Passau. Steamboats, I hear you. I grew up in NY and if somebody asked me for a hotel recommendation, my answer would take up a whole page!

Archived