Help with post cruise stay in Rome

DiamondPlusDan

Hi There,

I am in need of major assistance in planning my post cruise stay in Rome after my cruise. We are planning on staying three nights and want to make sure we are staying in a good location. Besides that, we are in need of advice as to the "must see" locations as well as safe places (we are American) to shop, walk, and eat.

Our hotel is about 1.8 miles away from Vatican City and 2.1 miles away from Rome city center. It is called the Rome Crowne Plaza. Is this location safe? They offer complimentary shuttles to the city and to FCO. I've heard this will save us a good bit of money.

As for things to do, we don't really have the stamina to do a bunch of things in one day; however, we are planning on spending one entire day in Vatican City by pre-purchasing tickets. Does this make the line shorter?

How about the Rome Pass? A good deal or a tourist gimmick?

Any advice/info to make our trip is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :D

Your hotel is quite a ways out, on the fringes, kind of like staying in Brooklyn when you're visiting Manhattan. It's still technically New York, but ...

At any rate, you've made a trade off. You're saving yourself about 50 Euro on the cab/car service out to FCO, but you're giving up a lot of time in transit back and forth during your three days. I'm not sure where they are measuring to, but even the most direct route to the Pantheon (kind of "ground zero" for historical Rome) is almost three and a half miles. Keep in mind that you'll be traveling in city traffic - it's not uncommon for three and a half miles to take 20 minutes or more.

Do check how late the shuttle buses continue to run, it may prevent you from having dinner in Rome, unless you spring for a cab back afterwards.

As to your other questions, pre-purchasing your tickets to the Vatican Museum avoids the line - you go directly to the door, by-passing the line, and show your voucher to the guard.

The Roma Pass can be a good value, if you are a museum person. Spend some time on the web site and calculate the cost of visiting the sites you are interested in, plus the cost of mass transit tickets, and see if it is the same or less than the Roma Pass. If not, then the pass may be a good deal for you.

As to safety in Rome, the places a tourist is headed to are well patrolled and filmed, they are not high crime areas. Keep in mind that Rome is the capital of Italy and that government offices (including the Italian Senate and their version of the House) are right in the same area as several of the key tourist sites. You'll see as many different kinds of police (including military) as you've seen anywhere.

You said you want to make sure you're staying in a good location. In my opinion, you're not. I'd recommend staying somewhere closer to some of the sites. You mention that you don't have the stamina to do lots of things each day, so why waste your energy and very limited time in Rome getting to and from the sites?

You might also see how close your hotel is to bus routes and which routes those are. You may have to make a couple connections to get to where you want to the sites.

I'm not sure when you're going, but if it's in the summer, it will be very hot and crowded.

I wonder how much your hotel costs since it includes transportation to FCO. My assumption (which may not be correct) is that cost is built in to your hotel cost and/or it's something the hotel needs to do to get people to stay in an out of the way location.

Get a guidebook to determine what things interest you the most and have fun!

Sometimes you have to give up a hotel for convenience. We booked an apartment - for 2 nites - in piazza navona area. Walking distance to everything. Cost is actually less than a hotel. The apartment has living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. Less than hotels we were looking into. You are on your own but the convenience is worth it. Check on http://www.vrbo.com. You might find something there better than a hotel outside of the area you are looking to stay in.

I agree with the other posters that your location, while safe, is not convenient. Are you tied to it? If not, I would strongly suggest you look for a hotel in the vicinity of the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area, which is not only very central to the sites but also lovely, safe, and walkable at night with lots of restaurants nearby.

In terms of stamina and sightseeing, you've got the right idea by grouping things together and not trying to do too much in a single day. Even the Vatican in a day is tough. Last time I was in Rome I spent about 3 hours in the museum, took the Scavi tour, spent another hour in St Peters, and climbed the dome at the end of the day. I was exhaustede -- and I'm a pretty sturdy sightseer!

Another day I might suggest that you spend at the Colosseum/Forum/Palatine Hill (all accessible with one ticket) plus the wonderful Capitoline museum which is very close by. These sights do involve a lot of walking and being outdoors, so perhaps you can break them up with lunch and/or the museum in between the outdoor sites. A good guidebook is essential, or if you are interested in a walking tour of these sites, there are several that give small group tours.

While the Crowne Plaza is a nice hotel, it is not in the city centre. One of the very best things about staying in the city centre is being able to walk out the door and be in the middle of everything. The piazzas full of people, the restaurants, the shopping, neat little things around every corner........

There are many many really nice small hotels in better locales such as the Pantheon/Piazza Navonna area. Perhaps one of the most recommended is the Albergo del Senato. We stayed there both pre and post cruise last trip and it is truly in a super spot ! I could almost reach out and touch the Pantheon next door :eek: No kidding. We walked all over ...... Piazza Navonna, Camp di Fiori, Coliseum/Forum, Trevi, wedding cake, etc. Even the Vatican is within walking distance, altho further than the already mentioned sites. We so enjoyed wandering the small streets and finding all kinds of obelisks, fountains, neat antique stores, pizza joints, cool souvenier stores, bakeries - oh yes bakeries and gelato places too.....

In my opinion, it truly makes a difference being closer......

PS: we have used vrbo before (not for Rome) but if staying 3 days it could really be a good thing for you. There are other sites too - rentalsinrome or cyberrentals

WOW!! Thank you all so much. I am going to look into that hotel that you, texancruzer, suggested. Also, thank you, Susan-M, for the book recommendations.

Euro cruiser, D4, cruisemon42, & Alfrank, thank you for your excellent knowledge of the area.

We were able to get a rate of 175 euros a night at the Crowne Plaza, so I thought that was pretty reasonable. Maybe the rate is low because it is in the rural areas of Rome?

I really do like the idea of just walking out the front door of the hotel and being in the center of things - so I will look into something that might offer that without spending an outrageous amount of money.

If the Albergo del Senato is too pricey, there are some other options in the area to consider. (Although I agree that the del Senato is great; it's my favorite hotel in Rome).

Albergo Cesari (located between the Pantheon and Trevi fountain, great rooftop where breakfast is served in the morning and drinks at night).

Santa Chiara (less character, but great location right behind the Pantheon).

I'm sure others can chip in with suggestions nearer Piazza Navona. I just haven't stayed in that area myself.

WOW!! Thank you all so much. I am going to look into that hotel that you, texancruzer, suggested. Also, thank you, Susan-M, for the book recommendations.

Euro cruiser, D4, cruisemon42, & Alfrank, thank you for your excellent knowledge of the area.

We were able to get a rate of 175 euros a night at the Crowne Plaza, so I thought that was pretty reasonable. Maybe the rate is low because it is in the rural areas of Rome?

I really do like the idea of just walking out the front door of the hotel and being in the center of things - so I will look into something that might offer that without spending an outrageous amount of money.

Probably one of the easiest ways to find hotels - in the area you want - at the price you want - is to go to www.venere.com This website allows you to put in many different criteria and then up pops all the hotels within those parameters.....

Good luck.

Hi There,

I am in need of major assistance in planning my post cruise stay in Rome after my cruise. We are planning on staying three nights and want to make sure we are staying in a good location. Besides that, we are in need of advice as to the "must see" locations as well as safe places (we are American) to shop, walk, and eat.

Our hotel is about 1.8 miles away from Vatican City and 2.1 miles away from Rome city center. It is called the Rome Crowne Plaza. Is this location safe? They offer complimentary shuttles to the city and to FCO. I've heard this will save us a good bit of money.

As for things to do, we don't really have the stamina to do a bunch of things in one day; however, we are planning on spending one entire day in Vatican City by pre-purchasing tickets. Does this make the line shorter?

How about the Rome Pass? A good deal or a tourist gimmick?

Any advice/info to make our trip is greatly appreciated.

Thank you :D

Hi we stayed at hotel cicerone in rome once before as will be using them for post cruise in Aug..... highly recommended:)

Hi we stayed at hotel cicerone in rome once before as will be using them for post cruise in Aug..... highly recommended:)

Hi, bellarosa. We're still carrying you on the Roll Call list for the September 8th Noordam sailing but haven't seen you on the Roll Call thread in a long time. If you're no longer on this sailing, would you please let us know? Thanks.

Archived