Do you recognise where this is? Ouvea?

I am in the middle of putting together a photobook and I have a photo that i am pretty sure we took in Ouvea.

I was looking at sites and blogs on the internet last night and came across a picture of the same cross. At least, I am 99% sure it was the same one.

The information next to it online said it was an historical marker to show Columbus' landfall in 1492 in Long Bay.

I can't find that online site again this morning and I can't seem to find any info at all about the historical marker.

Does anyone know if

1) This photo is actually of a cross in Ouvea? (I could have got my islands wrong, we were in Lifou and Vila before this, then Isle of pines the day after.)

2) is the info about it being an historical marker correct?

IMG_1941auto.jpg

I just knew I should have done this work on an album earlier, I am getting myself confused as to where and what at times.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

cheryl

Thanks, Jo.

That is good to know, so I have now put the photo on the Ouvea page.

We also saw a different cross marker somewhere (I have the photo of it, a bit more 'formal') so I won't write the info next to this cross as I am not sure which one is the Columbus marker!

Hmmm _ I am thinking that perhaps the people of Ouvea have a wonderful sense of humour??

In 1492, Columbus was busy in the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean discovering the Americas. As part of that endeavour, he landed in "Long Bay" in San Salvador. I don't think he ever got to the Pacific Ocean.

But then again - I might be wrong :p I was never much good at "trivia" :p

Barry

I know, 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue and all that.:p

I was a bit surprised too when I saw the info.

Thought they may have meant James Cook, but not with those dates!

The cross also does not look like anything extra special.

I did search online for Columbus and long Bay and also historical marker ouvea and can find no info on it. It definitely didn't say Columbus was in that neck of the woods at all.

Thanks, Jo.

That is good to know, so I have now put the photo on the Ouvea page.

We also saw a different cross marker somewhere (I have the photo of it, a bit more 'formal') so I won't write the info next to this cross as I am not sure which one is the Columbus marker!

We saw similar crosses in Lifou - with straight edges, I think.

Archived