Food/Snacks to try in the Baltics

Are there any special pastries or foods we should try when walking around in ports Copenhagen, Stockholm, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Helsinki, Oslo? I know we need to look for hot dogs and chocolate milk in Copenhagen but can't find the post about the specifics. I think it isn't a usual American hot dog but something a little different. I would love any suggestions about what to look for or what you had that was fabulous and not to be missed. Oh and how was the coffee in these ports? :)

Are there any special pastries or foods we should try when walking around in ports Copenhagen, Stockholm, St Petersburg, Tallinn, Helsinki, Oslo? I know we need to look for hot dogs and chocolate milk in Copenhagen but can't find the post about the specifics. I think it isn't a usual American hot dog but something a little different. I would love any suggestions about what to look for or what you had that was fabulous and not to be missed. Oh and how was the coffee in these ports? :)

I love the various bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops of Europe. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads!

Use the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better! The good places will have lines. That's a sure tip-off that they are "good".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Since I am norwegian, I feel that I need to suggest you to try the following:

Brunost ("brown cheese")

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brunost

Sour cream porridge. (Porridge where sour cream is the main ingredience)

Raspeballer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspeball

You can taste most of this in the cafe/restaurant called Kaffistova in Oslo:

http://www.bondeheimen.com/kaffistova_eng.htm

Thanks, this is just the type of info I am looking for, especially the meat doughnut. It seems every culture has something like this, piroshki or pork buns or pasties or empanadas. My family likes to compare them. A sour cream porridge sounds like something my son and husband will love. Cinnamon buns too!

Archived