Summit CC Balconies

cookie1961

Hi dannysmom,

We are sailing on Summit next May and have cabin 7203, which is very close to your cabin. I am so glad you enjoyed this balcony. It will be our first balcony so I am so excited!!! Did the soot just appear once you left King's Wharf or was it something that appeared while you were at sea? Also was it a one time occurance?

Given you had an Aft balcony and Summit and Dawn were docked aft to aft, how far apart were you? Did you feel you had enough privacy when docked with Dawn?

What things did you do while visiting Bermuda? I LOVE to hear all the wonderfully great and diverse things cruisers do while visiting an island :)

Thanks,

As for the sofa, we were allowed to move it out, though I dont know if there is a particular policy about it or anything. By the end of the week it did smell like ocean air, but it wasnt damp/ diry or anything by any means at all. We also had 2 long lounge chairs and 2 regular upright lounge chiars, plus the table out there, in addition to keeping the sofa, our stroller and a 54in kiddie pool out there. Room attendant brought us a 5 gal bucket to fill it from our shower.

:eek: OMG! Is it the Celebrity Summit or a trailer park in the ghetto? How totally declasse'. I thought cruising was the one place left where travel had not been bumpkinized? :eek:

Hi, Cookie1961,

The soot appeared after we left King's Wharf. We were going home much faster and the winds were probably coming from another direction.

We were far enough apart from the Dawn that we still had privacy. We could tell if people were sitting on their verandas, but we couldn't see into their cabins. Well, I guess you could if you used the binoculars that are provided in the rooms. The Dawn's aft balconies are not as deep as the Summit's.

We went to St. George on the first ferry on Wednesday and Tobacco Bay was beautiful and not crowded. We left about 11:30 to see the dunking of the wench and the beach was getting pretty full at that point. We took a bus to the caves and really enjoyed that. We went to Horseshoe Bay on the second day and that was lovely...until the lifeguards closed the beach because of the Portugese man-o'-wars. The small cove on the right side remained open, though. The last day we did the ultimate adventure at Dolphin Quest. I am not sure I would recommend it. It was pretty expensive and seemed to be more about getting your picture taken with the dolphins than anything else.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kelly

:eek: OMG! Is it the Celebrity Summit or a trailer park in the ghetto? How totally declasse'. I thought cruising was the one place left where travel had not been bumpkinized? :eek:

I find that a little harsh. I'm not too keen about moving the sofa outside due to the possible damage from stray salt water spray and humidity, but as long as you have the large extra space, might as well make use of it. It's easier to keep the stroller out there than to have to keep bumping into it in the cabin. If you have young kids, they might get bored when stuck in the room. A kiddie pool to splash around in gives them another option for fun and entertainment, and sounds like a creative idea to me. 54" is 4.5 feet (1.4 m), about half the width of the balcony, hardly garish, IMO. We're not talking about hanging a tire swing from the overhead beams or putting a Slip 'N' Slide the length of the balcony, though I concede it's a matter of degree.

Hi Kelly (dannysmom),

Thanks so much for all that information :) I am glad to hear you felt you had enough privacy on the balcony. I have been a little anxious about that.

Our plan is to do St. George's on Wednesday as well!! Actually, our morning will look pretty much like your's. I was also thinking of doing the caves in the Pm but I am somewhat claustophobic. I won't even begin to tell you what happened to me in Paris at the Sacre Coeur in Montmarte. I almost had a full blown panic attack with the narrow stairs. I felt like I couldn't breathe and my poor DH had to really talk back into reality. What a horrible feeling!!!! Anyway, I took a look at some photos of the Caves and although when you are actually visiting the caves, it seems wide and airy enough for me, the walk to get to the caves made my heart race. So I am not sure what I will do about that LOL

I plan on being in Hamilton the second day and probably do some beach visits. On the last day, we'll be visiting the sites at Dockyard.

Again Kelly, thanks so much for all your information. It's been most helpful :)

Wow, that was awfully judgmental. I will value your opinion, and thanks for sharing it, but I think you could have done so with a little more tact. We live in Boston, were not from some ghetto trailer park or some super rural "bumpkin" town. :rolleyes: I would have much preferred to keep the sofa in the room, but we found it much easier to fit the pack n play in the room (otherwise nearly impossible) for DD to sleep in. Im sorry, but I think moving the sofa out was a better idea than setting DD up out there to sleep. I assure you the sofa never felt damp, and we had no soot on our balcony. I cant imagine it would be that much "harder" on the furniture than when someone leaves the slider door open right next to the sofa all day long. Read the family cruising board and youll see how sticking a diapered baby in the pools isnt really cared for much, so I find that bringing pool that took up maaaybe 1/8th of our balcony, isnt only highly recommended on that board, but very helpful. the pool was only maybe 6 inches deep. You could only see it if you were on another ship parked aft to aft with ours. It wasnt some huge, obnoxiously colored eyesore, I promise.

Hi everyone,

My DH and I will be sailing on Summit. Right now we have cabin 9160 booked. It's an Aft CC balcony cabin.

Can anyone tell us if there are bigger and better situated balcony cabins in this category?

For some reason, I can't get the Search component on this site to work :(

Thanks so much,

Teri

Teri;

Here are some pictures of your balcony.....:):):)

4724705462_3c2aa6a13a.jpg

4724052663_ca756c1c3b.jpg

Bob

Maybe so, but don't you think it would have been more appropriate to ask for alternate arrangements to accomodate your baby, or to have brought a smaller crib? I wonder what the next person occupying the cabin perceived? :confused:

Bumpkin has more to do with actions than locations. I used to live in Boston, too, and trust me, bumpkins do live there.

Wow, that was awfully judgmental. I will value your opinion, and thanks for sharing it, but I think you could have done so with a little more tact. We live in Boston, were not from some ghetto trailer park or some super rural "bumpkin" town. :rolleyes: I would have much preferred to keep the sofa in the room, but we found it much easier to fit the pack n play in the room (otherwise nearly impossible) for DD to sleep in. Im sorry, but I think moving the sofa out was a better idea than setting DD up out there to sleep. I assure you the sofa never felt damp, and we had no soot on our balcony. I cant imagine it would be that much "harder" on the furniture than when someone leaves the slider door open right next to the sofa all day long. Read the family cruising board and youll see how sticking a diapered baby in the pools isnt really cared for much, so I find that bringing pool that took up maaaybe 1/8th of our balcony, isnt only highly recommended on that board, but very helpful. the pool was only maybe 6 inches deep. You could only see it if you were on another ship parked aft to aft with ours. It wasnt some huge, obnoxiously colored eyesore, I promise.

Hi Retty et al,

We didn't bring a crib - we used the one provided by Celebrity. With the loveseat in its original location, and the small oval table, placing the pack-n-play in that area effectively blocked access when going from the bed to the balcony and it was extremely tight.

Please don't throw mrs.mobster under the proverbial bus for it anyways - I'm the one who made the executive decision to relocate the couch. (Side Note: Said couch is heavier than its looks as its also a sleeper)

I certainly can appreciate the concern regarding the wear-n-tear on the furniture caused by the heat and humidity. However, this decision was made in the moment as it seemed silly to be very tightly crowded in the cabin, while there was an excessive amount of real estate going unused on the balcony. Our room steward never said anything to us about it, and we assumed that if X really didn't want us to do it, Guest Relations would have notified us. Certainly, if any damage had been done to it over the course of the week, we would have gladly paid for it.

Regarding the "trailer park" aspect. Yes, we had a bunch of items on the balcony, but everything was organized neatly and not strewn about as I'm sure you're imagining outside of a trailer with car carcasses strewn about on blocks, rusting in the summer sun. We kept the 2 chairs and small table near the railing to enjoy the views; our DD's pool was behind and to the left of the chairs as to be mostly covered by the overhang to protect her from the sun's rays; the stroller was parked nicely in the back corner to the left of the slider, and as you've seen, the couch was on the right side against the partition.

As mrs.mobster stated, our arrangement was only visible by other ships that were docked aft-to-aft with us. The cabins on either side were blocked by the partition and the cabins above and below don't have visibility.

The next occupant of the cabin would not have noticed anything as the couch would have been right back where it came from.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnyyyyways.... the long and short of it is (1) we did something on our last vacation that didn't affect anyone outside of our cabin - aside from a somewhat aired out sleeper couch and (2) what's the point of posturing on CC to inform us that we acted (in the poster's opinion) in a declasse manner which is indicative of a ghetto or trailer-park bumpkinesque element? its a rather thinly veiled excuse to lob demeaning insults in our direction and reinforce the class distinctions that you apparently feel separate you from the rest of us in the proletariat.

I have a sneaking feeling that your response was triggered by 2 core issues: (1) we moved the furniture outside and (2) we travel with a small child. Lots of folks who cruise seem to have zero tolerance for small children who cruise and would love to ban them - I'm thinking you may fall into this group?

Maybe so, but don't you think it would have been more appropriate to ask for alternate arrangements to accomodate your baby, or to have brought a smaller crib? I wonder what the next person occupying the cabin perceived? :confused:

Bumpkin has more to do with actions than locations. I used to live in Boston, too, and trust me, bumpkins do live there.

Hi Bob (Woobstr112G),

Thanks so much for posting those pictures. Are they of cabin 9160? We have changed our cabin to 7203 now but I think both balconies are pretty much the same size.

Thanks again :)

I wonder how the decision is made whether to dock bow to bow or aft to aft. We have an aft balcony reserved on the Summit to Bermuda next year and I would definitley before a water view than a view of another ship's balconies.

We were just on the May 30 Summit to Bermuda and all 3 days in Kings Wharf we had the Norwegian Dawn docked face to face with us (bow to bow). Aft balconies had a beautiful water view the whole time that was mostly private (other than people like me shooting envious looks from the ferry as we passed by :D).

Archived