RCCL is losing its groove

Not only is RCL leaving the West Coast, forcing those of us who trusted RCL with advance bookings under the Next Cruise Program to sail now fast before these rascals scoot, but they are trying to take the value of the Next Cruise bookings away.

I called RCL Saturday to book a cruise. Elizabeth in Miami took the call. Booking ID 3238256. Then she couldn't quote a price because Crown & Anchor was closed so she couldn't get prices. No price, no booking. But good old Elizabeth ran it as a booking and then cancelled it. This meant that we were set to lose the benefits of the onboard booking.

I just spent mucho time on the phone with Crown and Anchor in Wichita. The schools in Kansas seem to produce more capable employees than does Miami. It took some doing; Michael had to go to his Supervisor to get permission to do the right thing; but eventually Elizabeth's faux pas was reversed.

But is such incompetence really a mask for RCCL policy to profit the Company at the expense of curisers, with cruiser disadvantaged only to be reversed in those few case when a customer realizes the misappropriation of the advance booking deposit and acts assertively? Who knows? Our experience suggests that either RCCL does not value competence or the Company thinks it can exploit its customers for corporate advantage.

It's not a pretty sight. The RCCL computer systems seem to be antiquated and unresponsive; the Miami staff seem to lack schooling or worse; the company shifted from the affluent Pacific market to the failing European market just as Europe fell apart. Who's in charge and can RCCL be trusted by cruisers?

Since Crown & Anchor frequent cruisers are entitled to disounts, the Miami folks can't quote prices unless the Crown & Anchor desk is open.

As for the suggestion to write Adam Goldstein, I think he's more investor oriented than customer oriented. My sense is that he leaves the running of the back office to others, and it is in the senior ranks of the back office staff that changes are needed to elevate performance.

Does Miami offer the best pool of talented back office folks to meet the demands of a customer-centered business like RCL or would it be better to relocate all administrative and IT operations to more work-oriented sections of the country?

Since Crown & Anchor frequent cruisers are entitled to disounts, the Miami folks can't quote prices unless the Crown & Anchor desk is open.

As for the suggestion to write Adam Goldstein, I think he's more investor oriented than customer oriented. My sense is that he leaves the running of the back office to others, and it is in the senior ranks of the back office staff that changes are needed to elevate performance.

Does Miami offer the best pool of talented back office folks to meet the demands of a customer-centered business like RCL or would it be better to relocate all administrative and IT operations to more work-oriented sections of the country?

C&A discounts don't have to be applied during booking, and in my experience you book the cabin and then you or the TA calls C&A to have the balcony discount applied. I don't think that's changed or a part of some nefarious plot.

One would have thought the CSR in Miami could have told you that, but maybe not. All I've ever done was say to my TA, after booking, "Don't forget to get the C&A discount".

Mark,

You're more trusting than I am. I like to agree on terms before entering into a contract.

Are you serious that Royal Caribbean expects people to contract for a cruise without knowing the price in advance? How does that qualify as a meeting of the minds?

This is a business after all.

That's crap. You can easily find out the price online before you call.

You could have looked for yourself if there were any coupons on the Crown and Anchor page. Unless you booked your next cruise before 1/1/09, you aren't eligible for any discounts anyway.

We have many pre-2009 next cruise docs which will now expire unused since flying to cruise defeats the relaxation that is the whole point of cruising.

Thanks for your advice and insights, though.

So you are ticked off that you can no longer get a cruise out of LA? (we are in San Diego, and I feel your pain) IMPO not worth flying to Miami, for a 7 day trip. ;) Needless to say, I will never become D or D+ - at least not on RCCL.

Really, RCCL is removing alot of choices from Florida as well. I was looking at the eastern caribbean for fall 2011 and they don't have much to choose from at all. If you don't want to sail on the Freedom you are for the most part out of luck. I really don't like the large ships and am going to have to look elsewhere. I am a diamond and it looks like my choices are on other lines.

I like your handle.

Yes, that does bother me. And I'm also mad at myself as an investor. The stock was at $37 the day RCL announced it was abandoning the Pacific for the Mediterranean, and I didn't sell. Would that I had. I almost did but I hesitated and hesitation is the bane of investors.

We are D+, which is Diamond Plus in the vernacular of this board, but that no longer carries much weight and the Concierge Club's are packed these days.

I think RCL and Adam Goldstein should have a Cruisers Advisory Council to help the top execs think clearly but maybe this board serves that purpose for them.

When I make a booking I do it at normal business hours..and am put on hold while CSR contacts the C&A desk to get the discount applied before I hang up the phone..I know exactly the price and that I have gotten all discounts available to me at the time of booking..future discounts like Sr. discounts etc.I take the responsibility of checking on that daily....prefer not to rely on something or someone else to do that for me.....but that's just me... and so far it's worked...;):)

That's the lesson that I, too, have learned from this. You have to do business with RCL when everyone is there since no one has authority to do anything, even to remove the fuel surcharge, without checking with someone else.

I've also learned that the Crown & Anchor desk is in Wichita and you can call it directly and never have to disturb the siesta slumbers of the Miami staff. Why are the Wichita folks so much more responsive and capable than the Miami staff? Does anyone know?

So you are ticked off that you can no longer get a cruise out of LA? (we are in San Diego, and I feel your pain) IMPO not worth flying to Miami, for a 7 day trip. ;) Needless to say, I will never become D or D+ - at least not on RCCL.

..We haven't minded flying to FLL (INDY) for the 8 nighter..we are on the last one (LOS) Mar 19 2011 out of MIA..but after that unless an 8 nighter on a Freedom class ships come back... we won't be....:(

For us, we are doing a 14 night TA, as that is worth the flight this time.. ;) I am sure we might do a cruise out of Orlando at some point again, but we have a young family - so we would tack it on a disney trip.. which would mean a Disney Cruise :D in most cases. But again for us, we are driven by value not only price/or collecting points.

That's the lesson that I, too, have learned from this. You have to do business with RCL when everyone is there since no one has authority to do anything, even to remove the fuel surcharge, without checking with someone else.

I've also learned that the Crown & Anchor desk is in Wichita and you can call it directly and never have to disturb the siesta slumbers of the Miami staff. Why are the Wichita folks so much more responsive and capable than the Miami staff? Does anyone know?

I think the only thing that we can be glad about is that CS is still in the US..although that could change at any minute as has with so many companys..I usually always ask where they are and WOW can that be a geography lesson.....;)

Foxy, you're right. Flying would be worth it for the right opportunity. We haven't found that yet. It would also be nice if they would offer a business class upgrade for a reasonable price and if they would let you know the flight schedule before you book.

We once had to be at the airport at 4 am for an NCL cruise. Then we got to Houston at 11 am and they kept us waiting till 2 when the buses to the ship arrived. We got to the ship at 3:30, unfed and very hungry, went to the buffet line where there was a 45 minute wait to get in... people were very angry. Just as we were nearing the front of the line, they closed the food for the boat drill. NCL is only cruise line on which we have ever gone hungry, so it can be worse than RCL... at least RCL feeds the passengers.

Ashland, I wouldn't mind overseas CSRs if they weren't so scripted. It seems like no company wants to delegate authority to CSRs to make adjustments that are reasonable for customers. They put the interests of the compnay ahead of the customers they serve.

But the first rule of business is that business begins with a customer. Anyone who has ever started a business remembers their first customer. If you have customers you can take care of the profit, but too many businesses think that it's smart to have a countinghouse mentality and then they falter and dwindle.

I fear that may now be happening at RCL Adam Goldstein is brilliant, Princeton, Harvard Law School and international business school, but beyond brilliant leadership is needed to cut through the bureaucracy and to ignite a capable employee base to be inspired to build a great company. When I hear that he is shielded from passengers and employees when he cruises, I realize that the poor fellow may simply be out of touch.

I love that show and he would be wonderful as a protagonist there. When I was managing a large unit, I used to spend one day a month working one of the entry level jobs and I learned gobs by doing that.

Of course, people knew who I was but usually after about an hour or so, people would start opening up and unloading. The employees who are in contact with the customers generally have a wealth of wisdom to offer to management on an operating level and if the operations are right then the investment results tend to follow.

I love that show and he would be wonderful as a protagonist there. When I was managing a large unit, I used to spend one day a month working one of the entry level jobs and I learned gobs by doing that.

Of course, people knew who I was but usually after about an hour or so, people would start opening up and unloading. The employees who are in contact with the customers generally have a wealth of wisdom to offer to management on an operating level and if the operations are right then the investment results tend to follow.

Ha! Ha! Decided this was worth starting a new Thread about..We might enjoy this one!!! Hope he does..;)

Just out of curiousity, what would you consider more "work oriented" sections of the country?

It does warrant a new thread.

Parkay, by reputation the Midwest has a tradition of hardwork and dedication to duty, though hardworking, intelligent people are to be found everywhere.

The trick is to select, train and motivate the best. That's more easily done in states like Iowa in which education is highly valued and less easily done in leisure climes in which being "laid back" is what is considered cool.

Some say that New York City has the world's greatest concentration of overachievers.

What are your thoughts about these matters, Parkay?

It does warrant a new thread.

Parkay, by reputation the Midwest has a tradition of hardwork and dedication to duty, though hardworking, intelligent people are to be found everywhere.

The trick is to select, train and motivate the best. That's more easily done in states like Iowa in which education is highly valued and less easily done in leisure climes in which being "laid back" is what is considered cool.

Some say that New York City has the world's greatest concentration of overachievers.

What are your thoughts about these matters, Parkay?

I don't have any thoughts. I was just curious as to what you meant. Thanks for clarifying.

Archived