Egypt w/o the pyramids

jax

I'm considering a QV cruise in November with one of the stops being Port Said. I'm really not interested in a 13/14 bus tour to the see the pyramids. Endurance is not my forte and wondered if there might be things of interest to see closer to the port.

I'm considering a QV cruise in November with one of the stops being Port Said. I'm really not interested in a 13/14 bus tour to the see the pyramids. Endurance is not my forte and wondered if there might be things of interest to see closer to the port.

Egypt without the pyramids? What can I say. It is indeed a long trip, but these are some of the Wonders of the World!

There are certainly things to do around Port Said. You can even take a lunch cruise on the Suez Canal. But -- does that compare to the pyramids?

You have to do what YOU want to do.

Having been to Cairo twice, I was booked on a cruise that stopped in Port Said again. For the life of me, I could not find anything much of interest to me to do there, other than to take a ferry across the Suez canal and back. There is a National Museum, but I've read it's nothing to compare with the Egyptian museum in Cairo.

I ended up cancelling that cruise for other reasons. IMO, there's much more to do in and around Alexandria than Port Said.

Here's a link with a bit of description of attractions in Port Said:

http://www.ehow.com/way_5486390_things-see-port-said.html

We are thinking of skipping the pyramids too and saving them for another trip. We have one day in Alexandria and considering flying to Luxor for the day. The flight is 1.5 hours each way. I wonder if that is an option from Port Said.

I'm with MercedMike on this one! We planned our whole cruise around our port in Egypt. The first thing I booked was a private overnight in Cairo. An overnight will cut down on the fatigue of trying to do it all in 1 day. After a 3 hour comfortable van ride across the desert from Alexandria, I can't describe my first view of the pyramids! You've seen them in pictures but nothing compares to being there! We spent the day going to all the sights, a wonderful lunch of falafel, grilled chicken and rice, and then the evening on a Nile dinner cruise. Our wonderful room had a balcony overlooking the pyramids! The next morning we spent several hours at the Cairo Museum, had a nice lunch and then the van ride back to the ship! We enjoyed all the other ports, but nothing compared to our Cairo visit. Do what you want, but IMHO, you will really miss out on a great adventure!

I'm with MercedMike on this one! We planned our whole cruise around our port in Egypt. The first thing I booked was a private overnight in Cairo. An overnight will cut down on the fatigue of trying to do it all in 1 day. After a 3 hour comfortable van ride across the desert from Alexandria, I can't describe my first view of the pyramids! You've seen them in pictures but nothing compares to being there! We spent the day going to all the sights, a wonderful lunch of falafel, grilled chicken and rice, and then the evening on a Nile dinner cruise. Our wonderful room had a balcony overlooking the pyramids! The next morning we spent several hours at the Cairo Museum, had a nice lunch and then the van ride back to the ship! We enjoyed all the other ports, but nothing compared to our Cairo visit. Do what you want, but IMHO, you will really miss out on a great adventure!

Not everyone has two days there.

Someone I know took a cruise on Oceania because of the this port and hated it. I was surprised.

I have been dreaming of going to Luxor forever.

Hi there,

May I ask what tour company you used for this tour?

Hi there,

May I ask what tour company you used for this tour?

We used Memphis Tours. We found Ahmed Fayez to be very accomodating in customizing a tour for just the two of us. It is less expensive to get 10-12 as a group, but then you are tied down to everyone else's schedule if you change your mind about places to go and how long to be there! We were very happy that we booked this tour and would not hesitate to use them again!

• 1 month later...

We're also booked on a OV cruise stopping at Port Said and having been to the pryamids and the Nile before also don't fancy a long expensive coach journey to Cairo again. No obvious things to do around Port Said looking at the internet, beyond the suburb on the other side on the canal and the museum - any other ideas?

We took the overnite tour with Nile Blue Tours, and it was a delight and even better than I ever imagined. I know they do custom tours, probably as the rest of the companies mentioned. The OP might contact one or all of these tour operators and see what they suggest closer to the port.

Everyone I have ever spoke with about visiting Egypt are mainly going to see the pyramids, so what else is offered closer? I have no idea as the pyramids and the surrounding area around Cairo (including the museum) are the drawing card for this area. Good Luck though!

Port Said is primarily a commerical shipping port with not much to see.

Nile Blue Tours (info@nilebluetours.com ) will arrange a day for just 2,4, or any number of people. You do not have to go on a large bus. Nile Blue will pick you up, take you to Cairo for the Egyptian Museum, and back to the ship without visiting Giza (where the pyramids are). You'll pay more for a truly custom tour but it can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

we went with Nile Blue last August, and stayed at the Mena House, new wing with a balcony view of the Pyramids, for only about $30-40 more then the hotel they quoted with my custom tour. For 2 of us it was still less then 1/2 the ships tour for the 2 of us.

I'm using Nile Blue too for my next visit to Egypt.

Can you tell me at what hotel did you spend your overnight?

We were at Le Meridan. In my opinion it really doesn't matter because you get to your room around 10 and have to be on the bus at 8 so you spend virtually no time at the hotel.

I have been to Egypt twice, including a Nile cruise, which I highly recommend. If you are only in Egypt for a day, the pyramids are a must. In my opinion there is nothing worth seeing around Port Said except perhaps the Suez Canal.

To do Egypt right, you need about a 10-14 day trip, but if this is your only visit to Egypt, do the pyramids. You will get to see more on the bus ride to Cairo. I don't think you will regret taking the trip.

Archived