Just returned from Sapphire/Alaska

dsal

dsal, what did you do in Victoria?

We had an inside cabin on the Sapphire last year (Whittier to Vancouver) and are doing an inside cabin again this year. The shower is small, but the cabin itself wasn't a problem for us.

Purpleprincess4, I Just got off the Golden, and I am sure temperature wise it is the same as the Sapphire. I wore Pashmina's at dinner with long skirts, and tops and was comfortable (I am usually always cold). I wore jeans during the day with long sleeve shirts. I wore this with heavy fleece jackets in the morning on the Promenade Deck (with earmuffs, scarf and gloves and sunglasses to block the wind). The sun comes up early like 4:15 am and it is glorious to be out at the front of the ship, but dress warm. Ships temperature was very comfortable though. I didn't bring shorts, or capris. Also, to whoever mentioned Febreeze, pack (not in carry-on) a Renuzit Solid or two and use them fully opened, This makes the room nice.

We did the inside passage: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway then a few hours in Victoria, BC.

This is my first cruise, so I can't compare Sapphire to other ships. But I can say that it was wonderful. The ship was always clean, and our steward was fantastic--always smiling and helpful, and tended to our room at least twice a day.

As far as inside vs. balcony rooms: I don't know. My hubby and I discussed this during the trip, and the consensus was that we'd do the inside room again. Even though I have the tendency to be a bit claustrophobic, I found that I didn't feel claustrophobic at all! I made a little rule that no clothes were to be left draped anywhere. As soon as it was off our body, it was either hung back up or put into our suitcase, which served as our laundry hamper. Shoes were to be kept in another (open) suitcase in the closet area. Tried to keep the desk area neat with no random papers (those were to be shoved into the drawers), but I must admit we got a bit lax with that as the week progressed.

We would use the room only for sleeping and showering and etc. ;) There was plenty of space on the ship for awesome sight-seeing from deck chairs, etc. We were never without a place to sit. Also, there was plenty of quiet space where it seemed private--like the lounge area near the library, etc.

If money were no object, then yes, I'd get the balcony room. But I think I'd rather calculate out the difference between an inside room and a balcony room--get the inside room, and then use the money we saved on excursions.

That being said: I'm not sure if the larger staterooms have larger shower areas or not. Our shower area was extremely small. Neither my hubby nor I are very "hefty" so it worked ok for us--but I can imagine it would be a major issue for larger-sized passengers. In other words: if you weigh over 190 pounds, I'd try to get a larger bathroom, if available. (I'm not trying to offend anyone, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm not saying that 190 is fat. I chose that number because hubby is 185 and I know he was a bit cramped in the shower.)

Sort of odd, but in a way it was good for me to have tight quarters in my cabin. When I got home and took a nice shower in my decent-sized shower stall, it felt so good. Had my shower stall been as nice on the cruise, I wouldn't have appreciated the one at home as much. I'm going through cruise withdrawal now: having to cook my own meals, make my own bed, etc., that it's good I have something at home that's better than on the ship! (Hope that makes sense.)

hth,

dsal

You are so cute......had me smiling my way through! Yes! Sometimes using the bathrooms on a cruiseship can make you very grateful for what you have at home!

Thank you for sharing your wonderful insights, I truly enjoyed reading them!

Our first cruise to Alaska was on the Sapphire Princess and we loved it as well. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your trip so much and just reading your posts have gotten my adrenaline flowing even more, because we are leaving next week (June 26th) on the Diamond Princess for our third Alaskan cruise.

It was a pleasure to read everything you wrote and your obvious excitement readily came through. I'll bet you'll be going back again & again.

Thanks so much for sharing. :D

Hubby and I enjoy specialty coffees, but usually balk at spending $3-$5 in an upscale coffee shop--so this felt sinfully indulgent for each of us to get a specialty coffee each day.

dsal

Did you buy just one coffee card to use for both of you? I ask this because another poster stated that they were not allow to share one card.

Did you buy just one coffee card to use for both of you? I ask this because another poster stated that they were not allow to share one card.

Since there are only 15 spots to punch on each card, I would think you could use one card for 2 people. That would give each of you one specialty coffee each day plus one extra. After a 14 night Hawaii cruise, I still have 4 punches left on my card. It is in my passport to use on my next Princess cruise (no expiration date).

Thanks for your review; glad you had such a fantastic first cruise. Now it's time to start planning the next one . . . !

Also, had to laugh about the shower at home v. on the ship --so true. I always feel like my apartment bathroom is practically a spa when I get back home!

the shower stalls are the same size in interior/ov and balcony rooms. you need a mini suite to get a tub.

i find that as the time goes by once home i remember the shower stalls on board as smaller than they really are. once i get on a ship again the showers are bigger than i remember.

Since there are only 15 spots to punch on each card, I would think you could use one card for 2 people. That would give each of you one specialty coffee each day plus one extra. After a 14 night Hawaii cruise, I still have 4 punches left on my card. It is in my passport to use on my next Princess cruise (no expiration date).

Thanks but my question is if sharing one card is allowed.

In my original post I stated that someone said that sharing a card is NOT allowed, it is one card per person. If I remember correctly, the person said that they got one specialty coffee from one place and their spouse had to go to another deck or something to get a second specialty coffee. I don't recall which ship it was on but apparently the barrista said one card per person. If so, that would suck.

Thanks for the great info. I do have a question......did you notice any men wearing just a long sleeve dress shirt and tie on formal night? I know.....we usually take DH's formal suit....however this trip I'm the luggage lady;) and would really like to limit the weight I have to move.

In my original post I stated that someone said that sharing a card is NOT allowed, it is one card per person. If I remember correctly, the person said that they got one specialty coffee from one place and their spouse had to go to another deck or something to get a second specialty coffee. I don't recall which ship it was on but apparently the barrista said one card per person. If so, that would suck.

Last August on the Sapphire, we were allowed to use one coffee card for the two of us. I remember one morning we were heading to the naturalist lecture and we stopped and ordered 2 caffe mochas - no problem. It might depend on the ship, though.

We shared one on our last cruise...no problem. Most people were ordering 2 drinks at a time with theirs. On the cruise previous to that, one of our tablemates used his to order specialty coffees for the entire table one night. Perhaps that person was talking about the complimentary brewed coffee that comes with a coffee card. I think that policy is unwritten and varies.

Thanks for sharing info especially on what to pack. I am a first time cruiser to Alaska going August 6th, 2011 on the Golden Princess. I am starting to get excited even though it is over a year away!!

You have every reason to be excited. This is truly a wonderful ship and Alaska is glorious.

The anticipation of a cruise is definitely part of the fun.

Thanks for the great info. I do have a question......did you notice any men wearing just a long sleeve dress shirt and tie on formal night? I know.....we usually take DH's formal suit....however this trip I'm the luggage lady;) and would really like to limit the weight I have to move.

"Luggage Lady" been there, done that! YES! A lot of men were wearing a nice shirt and tie on formal night.

dsal, what did you do in Victoria?

We had an inside cabin on the Sapphire last year (Whittier to Vancouver) and are doing an inside cabin again this year. The shower is small, but the cabin itself wasn't a problem for us.

I was kind of wiped out from my other excursions, so we just stayed on the boat in Victoria. I knew I wouldn't have the energy to pack everything up, do an excursion in Victoria, and be able to be out of my cabin the next morning by 8 a.m. ;) But I hear that the Butchart Gardens are wonderful! Had we been in Victoria earlier in the day, I probably would have done that tour.

hth,

dsal

Thank you for the wonderful reviews and the answer about clothes. We leave for Seattle tomorrow and get on board on Sunday we can not wait. I hope our trip is as wonderful as yours sounded.

I hope you have a great cruise, too! Enjoy! :)

dsal

I was kind of wiped out from my other excursions, so we just stayed on the boat in Victoria. I knew I wouldn't have the energy to pack everything up, do an excursion in Victoria, and be able to be out of my cabin the next morning by 8 a.m. ;) But I hear that the Butchart Gardens are wonderful! Had we been in Victoria earlier in the day, I probably would have done that tour.

hth,

dsal

See, there's the reason that you have to book another!

Thanks so much!! It's so fun to hear from someone that has been on their first cruise to Alaska. It lets the rest of us relive it! It is a magical place - I am always blown away by the scenery. I always thought it would be nice to stay in Alaska thru the summer, Hawaii in the winter - but I'll stay home during spring & fall!! (Sounds like a plan - now just have to get DH on the same track!!):D

"Luggage Lady" been there, done that! YES! A lot of men were wearing a nice shirt and tie on formal night.

Thanks for letting me know:). We've never done formal without a jacket ......but this time ever little bit counts. I've even traded in my carry-on for a backpack to handle the suitcase.

Thanks so much!! It's so fun to hear from someone that has been on their first cruise to Alaska. It lets the rest of us relive it! It is a magical place - I am always blown away by the scenery. I always thought it would be nice to stay in Alaska thru the summer, Hawaii in the winter - but I'll stay home during spring & fall!! (Sounds like a plan - now just have to get DH on the same track!!):D

So true. "Firsts" are the best. But, going to "anywhere" a second or more time always offers something you never noticed the first time.

I like your "life plan", wouldn't that be perfect.....Awwwww! For that PERFECT world!

Thanks for letting me know:). We've never done formal without a jacket ......but this time ever little bit counts. I've even traded in my carry-on for a backpack to handle the suitcase.

Such a clever girl! Have a wonderful time. Don't think about us until you return and then come back and tell us all about it!

I've been doing formal for quite a while now without a jacket with wearing just a long sleeve shirt and it's been working real well. Of course you'll have some folks that don't approve but as long as Princess doesn't mind it makes packing so much easier and you still get the better food of the dining room.

Archived