Poa 5/29

ed_k_tx

Great photos ed_k_tx! (Your small mining town woudn't happen to be a bit west of Fort Worth, would it?) I especially love the sea arch. We did not make it down the Chain of Craters Road that far and I'm really sorry we didn't. Three of the five in my car wanted to turn around at the hairpin turn.

annecolorgreen, I have a nearly identical photo of ed_k_tx's first picture. I'm pretty sure that is the Kilauea caldera as viewed from the Jagger Museum.

Sounds wonderful (and amazing--lol)! What is the first picture? A steam vent or something else?

~~anne

annecolorgreen, I have a nearly identical photo of ed_k_tx's first picture. I'm pretty sure that is the Kilauea caldera as viewed from the Jagger Museum.

Common misconception, the picture is actually Halema'uma'u Crater which is within Kilauea Caldera. A crater by definition is less than a mile wide. Kilauea Caldera is greater than four miles wide. If you stand at the Jagger Museum and look NE you can see the caldera edge, looks like a cliff. Part of Crater Rim drive is on the edge of the caldera.

The "steam" is actually the latest, "2008" eruption of Kilauea. When it stops it will probably be a crater inside a crater inside of the caldera. It's the reason Crater Rim Drive has been closed for about 2 years.

Common misconception, the picture is actually Halema'uma'u Crater which is within Kilauea Caldera.

Thanks born2cruize! My picture actually has the sign for Halema'uma'u Crater (at the Jagger Museum) in the foreground - just enlarged it to read the info on the sign and of course you are absolutely right (but I wasn't ALL wrong!).;)

Thank you for the review. I was just telling DH about the Road to Hana and he said it was not his idea of a vacation to drive a road like that. I will tell him about your guide.:)

As you know from my review, we also really enjoyed taking a tour for the Road to Hana. Even my 22 year old daughter loved learning all our driver had to share with us. Several times that day she said she was so glad I booked the tour. We likely would have driven it ourselves if I could have found a car rental company that would let us do the full loop. Since I never found one convenient to the ship's pier, we booked the tour. I am glad we didn't a car rental, because the tour option was so much better for us.

Thanks all for the kind words. Here is the next installment.

Kauai

We arrived in Nawiliwili right on schedule. We rented a car from Avis and picked up the shuttle at the pier around 9. After getting the car we drove back to the Anchor Cove Mall and bought a parking pass for the night. $20 at the scooter store. Then off to Waimea Canyon. We drove up to the town of Waimea and used Waimea Canyon Dr. to ascend. Nice views along this road. Stopped at the Canyon Lookout and what a view. Pictures don’t do it justice. From here we continued on up to the Pu’u o Kila lookout. This is the end of the road. Your view is of the Kalalau Valley to the sea. There are hiking trails if you are so inclined. On the way back down we stopped at the Koke’e Museum and Lodge for lunch. There is also a gift shop so we bought a couple of t-shirts and DW got her requisite magnet and spoon. Back down to Waimea and then to Spouting Horn and Poipu for a look before heading back to the ship.

Friday morning up early, for me. Jack Harter was picking me up at 7:45 for my 8:30 heli tour. DW wanted no part of this one. The van came right on time and picked up three of us from the ship. Mike was the driver and also gave the FAA required safety briefing at their office. Before long we were off to the airport. We had met up with some other passengers at the office. Four of us were doing the no doors flight. I got the right rear seat. This was my first helicopter flight and it was thrilling. It was a full 60 minute tour of the island. We flew into the canyon and several of the valleys along the Napali Coast.

Saw Hanalei and several beautiful beaches. I was over too soon. I think I took around 300 pictures during the flight. I got back to the ship around around 10-10:30 and we took a ride into Lihue. We stopped at the Post Office to mail some post cards. We also mailed some of the souvenirs we had gotten thus far back to ourselves. Anything you can fit into the Priority Mail box for $14.50. This saved us having to carry them ourselves and worked out very nicely. We sailed at 2:00 and headed to the Na Pali Coast line. We ordered some drinks and sat out on the balcony watching the beautiful coast line slide by.

4689890418_4746a51113.jpg

4689939386_f4a6677a31.jpg

4689315211_7c609bd7ce.jpg

4689308771_d6b628f582.jpg

Your pictures don't look real, they are so beautiful!!

Yes, do tell, what are the refreshing looking beverages? ;)

We are doing powered hang gliding on day 1--90 minutes--do you think we should still try to fit Waimea Canyon by car into our days? Did you go to the luau? I'm debating skipping that as my husband isn't fond of crowds and doing a quiet dinner on the ship or on Poipu Beach.

THANKS!

What beautiful photos!! What kind of drinks are those on the balcony? They look yummy.

Your pictures don't look real, they are so beautiful!!

Yes, do tell, what are the refreshing looking beverages? ;)

THANKS!

The one on the left is my Lava Flow. DW had a Kiri Loco (Dark Rum, Pineapple & Coconut Cream served in a fresh pineapple.)

Definitely try to go to Waimea Canyon. We were lucky and had clear weather even at mid-day when we drove there. We met some people that drove up to the canyon on day 2. You have to be sure to get an early start then. I think they left around 7 AM. If you do, be sure to also go to the very last look. It's about mile 19 on Waimea Canyon Drive.

Where are you doing the hang gliding?

We went to the Paradise Cove luau before the cruise so we skipped NCL's.

Ed,

Great pics and review! That was such a great cruise. Hopefuly in a few years we'll go on another cruise. Next year we're doing a road trip with the dog.

Hi Cindy,

It was an amazing trip. We're planning on going back in 3 years for our 40th Anniversary. We'd like to try to go to Europe in between. Got to start saving up.

We are going hang gliding on the 1st morning in Kauai--at 11 am so I guess we wouldn't want to drive to the Canyon that morning. Maybe we'll drive up North after our flights and then drive to Waimea on the 2nd morning and do Poipu that day??? I really think we are going to skip the luau but the other couple we are going with aren't going to be happy...but, oh well, they are taking her parents with them and they are going to the luau! We are going to Feast at Lele pre-cruise (since dh doesn't like crowds).

I think our next cruise is going to the Mediterranean. Maybe for our 30th?? I guess if we wait five years though, we might have to throw in a Western Caribbean first ;). I LOVE snorkeling in Roatan!!

So...how did you like your drinks? tasty?

I think our next cruise is going to the Mediterranean. Maybe for our 30th?? I guess if we wait five years though, we might have to throw in a Western Caribbean first ;). I LOVE snorkeling in Roatan!!

The Mediterranean is amazing! I went in November! Definitely add it to your to do list!!

Thanks all for the kind words. Here is the next installment.

Kauai

We arrived in Nawiliwili right on schedule. We rented a car from Avis and picked up the shuttle at the pier around 9. After getting the car we drove back to the Anchor Cove Mall and bought a parking pass for the night. $20 at the scooter store. Then off to Waimea Canyon. We drove up to the town of Waimea and used Waimea Canyon Dr. to ascend. Nice views along this road. Stopped at the Canyon Lookout and what a view. Pictures don’t do it justice. From here we continued on up to the Pu’u o Kila lookout. This is the end of the road. Your view is of the Kalalau Valley to the sea. There are hiking trails if you are so inclined. On the way back down we stopped at the Koke’e Museum and Lodge for lunch. There is also a gift shop so we bought a couple of t-shirts and DW got her requisite magnet and spoon. Back down to Waimea and then to Spouting Horn and Poipu for a look before heading back to the ship.

Friday morning up early, for me. Jack Harter was picking me up at 7:45 for my 8:30 heli tour. DW wanted no part of this one. The van came right on time and picked up three of us from the ship. Mike was the driver and also gave the FAA required safety briefing at their office. Before long we were off to the airport. We had met up with some other passengers at the office. Four of us were doing the no doors flight. I got the right rear seat. This was my first helicopter flight and it was thrilling. It was a full 60 minute tour of the island. We flew into the canyon and several of the valleys along the Napali Coast.

Saw Hanalei and several beautiful beaches. I was over too soon. I think I took around 300 pictures during the flight. I got back to the ship around around 10-10:30 and we took a ride into Lihue. We stopped at the Post Office to mail some post cards. We also mailed some of the souvenirs we had gotten thus far back to ourselves. Anything you can fit into the Priority Mail box for $14.50. This saved us having to carry them ourselves and worked out very nicely. We sailed at 2:00 and headed to the Na Pali Coast line. We ordered some drinks and sat out on the balcony watching the beautiful coast line slide by.

Amazing photos!!! Thanks again for sharing!

Europe is my dream vacation. I'd have to be retired in order to take the two weeks to a month I'd need to visit all the countries I'd want to see or win the lottery to have the money we'd need. I'm happy whatever vacation I go on. Most people I know hardly take a vacation. I've visited a lot of great cities in the US and 2 in Canada and there is a lot left to see. I feel so lucky.

Debarkation and Post-Cruise

We were in no hurry so we took the colored tags for the last debarking time. I think it was 9:15. They want you off by 9:30. One last dinner in the Liberty and then spent some time just sitting out on the balcony. Packed up our large suitcases and put them out in the passageway. Woke up early and watched our arrival back in Honolulu. Breakfast in Skyline and back to the cabin to wait our turn. We headed out to the atrium around 8:45 since and found a place to sit until they called our color. When our turn came we were off the ship in no time and easily found our luggage. We got a porter who loaded up our bags. We had a transfer to the HHV with Charley’s Cab Co. and the porter knew exactly where to go. Into the cab and on our way. We had arranged for early check-in at the hotel so they were ready for us. Our plan for the afternoon was a simple one. Nothing but beach. Changed into our bathing suits. Grabbed our books and ipods and a couple of bottles of water and there we were. Rented an umbrella and a couple of chairs and relaxed. Something we didn’t do enough of and if we ever get back we’ll do more of.

Sunday morning we slept in, surprise, and ate a leisurely breakfast at the Rainbow Cafe. They’re only open for breakfast and we opted for the buffet. Pricey but it was our last day and the budget was already pretty well blown anyway. Packed up and checked out around Noon. We had another rent car, no convertible this time. It was a Camry and all our bags fit in the trunk. We took one last drive down Kalakua Ave. and headed over to Diamond Head. We actually found a parking spot in the shade. DW was not up to the climb so she waited with her book while I made the trek. It’s not that bad. The worst was the uneven path and the stairs. It took about 30 minutes to reach the top. The views were incredible. Hung out at the top for 15 minutes or so and started back down. Be sure to take water when you go. When I got back we both had a shave ice from the truck that is parked there. Not as good as Matsumoto’s but very refreshing after the climb. Then it was over to Bailey’s to check out their Aloha shirt collection. Another WOW!!!! Thousands of shirts of every type, design, color, material. Prices were from under $10 to the most expensive one which Montgomery Clift supposedly wore in From Here to Eternity. $4,500 for that one. I picked up two, priced in between the extremes and then one last sight to see. We headed over to the Tantalus/Round Top drive. If you have the chance to take this drive please do it. We were treated to amazing views of Honolulu and Waikiki from Barbers Point to past Diamond Head. The view to the ocean was clear but it had started to rain up in the valley so we were even treated to a rainbow. It was a perfect ending to our vacation.

4698117695_b54f0c33b9.jpg

4698118803_2f39bf66db.jpg

4698120727_b6332b4fff.jpg

4698756618_e8deaae4a0.jpg

Thank you for posting such awe inspiring photos. We are returning to the islands after 30 years and are very excited! We are staying at HHV and wondered about the mentioned early check-in. How early was early? Did that cost you extra? Julie

Thank you for posting such awe inspiring photos. We are returning to the islands after 30 years and are very excited! We are staying at HHV and wondered about the mentioned early check-in. How early was early? Did that cost you extra? Julie

Your welcome. We arranged the early check in when we checked out pre-cruise. There was no extra charge. They said if the room was ready we could go right up and if it wasn't they would just hold our bags for us. We got there around 11 I think and the room was ready. Have a great trip.

Ed

Your welcome. We arranged the early check in when we checked out pre-cruise. There was no extra charge. They said if the room was ready we could go right up and if it wasn't they would just hold our bags for us. We got there around 11 I think and the room was ready. Have a great trip.

Ed

What towers did you stay at in HHV? Did you like the location of the towers within the resort?

What towers did you stay at in HHV? Did you like the location of the towers within the resort?

We stayed in the Rainbow Tower both times. Both times overlooking the marina and lagoon. We liked it because it was the closest to the beach. They do have a very nice wide beach and the lagoon is very nice but there were lots of kids. I'm not sure how to put it but the best thing about the resort might also be the biggest drawback. It's location at the far end of Waikiki takes you away from the hustle and bustle. I think next time we might try something more centrally located like the Outrigger on the Beach.

Archived