Just back from the Mariner

Our cruise on the Mariner was great! That said, there were several things that bothered me. I wish there was a way RCCL would enforce their rules - i.e., pool, theater seat savers. We were 40 minutes early for the ice show and could not find seats for our party of four even though there were empty seats. They were all being saved. I am not a snob, but come on - there were teenage boys in jeans and baseball hats in the dining room. :( I called guest services to ask if my husband could wear shorts in the dining room one evening and was told absolutely not. He obliged and wore long pants only to see several men in shorts.:confused: Seems it's best not to ask.

Anyone on this cruise that knows the dish on the 2 ladies that went missing? We have never had that happen before.

Thanks for the report. I will be on the Mariner in October. Chair hogs in the pool area, theater and skating rink are legend on CC. I am afraid there isn't any solution as long as RCI and other lines refuse to enforce their rules.

I have seen shorts on men in the MDR at dinner myself on other cruises. I have seen ball caps on young boys/men. Jeans are allowed on all nights except formal night. Again RCI and other lines do not enforce their rules in the MDR all that well. They rely mostly on everyone behaving themselves. BTW I have also seen tshirts at dinner in the MDR. I am waiting to see someone come in wearing swim suits.

Seat Savers are easy to deal with.. if you see empty seats, just sit down. When the other person tells you the seats are being saved, simply remind them of RCCL's policy and if they have a problem with it.. let them go complain to someone.

Thanks for the report. I will be on the Mariner in October. Chair hogs in the pool area, theater and skating rink are legend on CC. I am afraid there isn't any solution as long as RCI and other lines refuse to enforce their rules.

I have seen shorts on men in the MDR at dinner myself on other cruises. I have seen ball caps on young boys/men. Jeans are allowed on all nights except formal night. Again RCI and other lines do not enforce their rules in the MDR all that well. They rely mostly on everyone behaving themselves. BTW I have also seen tshirts at dinner in the MDR. I am waiting to see someone come in wearing swim suits.

I was just looking back over a few pictures from the MDR, and have noticed that recently, on formal night, some men do not even wear a tie, or have a shirt that would accomodate a tie. I have even experienced one gentleman that came to the table without a coat.

It's far removed from the days of old...actually not that old, where everyone would wear tux's, especially when invited to the captains table, on formal night.

Rick

It is my understanding that one of the "missing" passengers was a teenager that was in another cabin with other kids. I got the sense that they just all lost track of the time. I have no idea what the details for the 34 year old are. The good news is that both are safe and sound.

I had a PR room a couple of weeks ago on Mariner. It was great, no noise. We were not in the cabin during any events, though. It was fun to be on the promenade for parades, disco party etc.

We usually came back to our cabin after 1 AM and slept well.;)

I was just looking back over a few pictures from the MDR, and have noticed that recently, on formal night, some men do not even wear a tie, or have a shirt that would accomodate a tie. I have even experienced one gentleman that came to the table without a coat.

It's far removed from the days of old...actually not that old, where everyone would wear tux's, especially when invited to the captains table, on formal night.

Rick

Maybe thats because the Captain rarely even attends! :)

Seat Savers are easy to deal with.. if you see empty seats, just sit down. When the other person tells you the seats are being saved, simply remind them of RCCL's policy and if they have a problem with it.. let them go complain to someone.

Why didn't I think of that? LOL. I like your style. Next time cruising I will take your advice.

By any chance you booked the PR room? If you did, how was it?

What did you do in PV?

Nope, never booked a Promenade Room. Actually while walking through, didn't notice too many curtains opened. To answer your question re: PV my family did the zipline adventure tour and it was my 22 year old granddaughter's favorite part of the cruise. Much more strenuous than they had anticipated. Being 68 years young, I stayed on the ship. But my 72 year old husband ziplined and loved it!

Nope, never booked a Promenade Room. Actually while walking through, didn't notice too many curtains opened. To answer your question re: PV my family did the zipline adventure tour and it was my 22 year old granddaughter's favorite part of the cruise. Much more strenuous than they had anticipated. Being 68 years young, I stayed on the ship. But my 72 year old husband ziplined and loved it!

We did the zipline also (booked through the ship but I know there are others that are well thought of). We did the same tour a few years ago and it was about twice as long as before. It was certainly one of the highlights of our trip. I highly recommend it!!

When we sailed on Voyager last year, we had to get a ticket to go in. Thus there was no seat saving. Worked out fine.

I like that one. I wonder if my husband can show his police badge at that point.:D

Thanks for the report!

we sail in 10 days on Mariner.

i remember on explorer we went an hour and a half early to the ice show because there was several of us! we had gotten the heads up from someone who had been to it before.

I have never been on a cruise where they enforced the rules.

i was really surprised on Conquest last month when one of the staff sent a line jumper on the excursion we were going on to the back of the line as we disembarked!

as for the dining room, we used to go all out as far as dressing, but we are much more casual (however still dressed nicely), than we used to be. My husband hates wearing a tie, and frankly I know longer insist he that he do.

Sailed on the Mariner last Sept and found most folks wiling to folow the rules. But the basic rules are easy to enforce.

Saving seats--nope, just sit on down.

Pool chair hog--nope, just pick the stuff on the chair up and walk to the nearest railing and toss it overboard. If the owner shows up and complains, grab said hog by the scruff of the neck and repeat your earlier procedure.

MDR- haven't seen it but women in thong bathing suits should be allowed in at all times:p Attn RCL-I'd cruise more if you encourged this type of dress at dinner.

Sailed on the Mariner last Sept and found most folks wiling to folow the rules. But the basic rules are easy to enforce.

Saving seats--nope, just sit on down.

Pool chair hog--nope, just pick the stuff on the chair up and walk to the nearest railing and toss it overboard. If the owner shows up and complains, grab said hog by the scruff of the neck and repeat your earlier procedure.

MDR- haven't seen it but women in thong bathing suits should be allowed in at all times:p Attn RCL-I'd cruise more if you encourged this type of dress at dinner.

You are funny...but remember not all women are built the same...it might be a dinner spoiler. LOL.

In regard to saving seat, what happen if your friend need to use the restroom? Can you still save the seat?

I was on the Mariner 2 months ago. Regarding the ice show, we went on the first night about 15 minutes before and like you, we were dissapointed to see a full house. Absolutely no seats.

The next night that it was available we showed up 30 minutes early and were actually one of the first in the place. We were shocked when only half the ice theater filled up. Yes, there were several seats open even if you got in 5 minutes beforehand.

So my tip is to skip the first day ice show and go for the ice show on the following days.

As for the dress code in the MDR, who cares what other people are wearing?

I was on the Mariner 2 months ago. Regarding the ice show, we went on the first night about 15 minutes before and like you, we were dissapointed to see a full house. Absolutely no seats.

The next night that it was available we showed up 30 minutes early and were actually one of the first in the place. We were shocked when only half the ice theater filled up. Yes, there were several seats open even if you got in 5 minutes beforehand.

So my tip is to skip the first day ice show and go for the ice show on the following days.

As for the dress code in the MDR, who cares what other people are wearing?

I guess this was what happened on our 6/6 cruise! We didn't try to go to the first show but did go to the second. The theater was about half full. We couldn't figure out why. This explains it. I really am surprised that so many people opted not to go since it is one of those event that most classify as a "don't miss".

We had late seating and I didn't notice anyone in baseball caps - it is a pet peeve of mine. I don't think teenagers realize that it isn't appropriate to wear a cap in the dining room. I really wish they would be asked to remove their hats when they enter.

Archived