Excursions....

We are heading on the PG 7 day, in October.

I would like to know about good shore excursions. Does anyone have info on excursions that are not from the PG?

On other cruises we have saved loads of money by using tour companies other than from the ship.

Of course, I would like to hear about PG excursions, also.

Thanks! carol

This may have changed, but it used to be that the ship's excursions were good value compared to private operators, so we've never done a private excursion. But folks on the Princess ship had their favourites on Raiatea and Bora Bora.

If you like water, make sure to do the Bora Bora Stingray ballet--it includes some snorkeling as well, but doesn't require much skill, and the stingray components is fine for non-swimmers as well. The Bora Bora 4x4 trip is also great, wonderful scenic views, history of WWII explained. Afternoons, you can tender over to the ship's private beach--take your camera and enjoy.

On Moorea, there's Dr. Poole's dolphin watch. He's a real marine biologist with an almost fanatical attachment to sea mammals, and will give you a good day, even if you don't spot any dolphins (wild animals, not captive.) We did a great catamaran trip with snorkel last time, expensive, but really lovely, with only about 12 people on board. On land, there's also usually a 4x4 trip, try to make sure to get up to the top of the Belvedere lookout, the scenery is truly sublime.

The snorkeling was still good on Raiatea last time I was there, so if they offer some kind of motu trip, that might be good. The land and sea adventure, with a boat trip up the river, and a 4x4 trip around the island is also great, with a stop at an important archaeological site.

And then there's the motu day at Taha'a, of course. No charge, just relax, or snorkel, swim, kayak, play volleyball to your heart's content. Just don't drink too much, those coconuts filled with rum are pretty strong!

Here are the two independent excursions we did back in 2008, both were great:

http://www.tahaa.net/?p=-1

http://www.maohinui.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=31&lang=en

We also did the Dr Poole excursion through ship excursion desk and enjoyed it although we were unlucky and had no sightings on our trip.

I joined CC a while back, but finally have time to really look into our PG 7 days cruise 10/23/10. Thanks so much for all the excursions ideas! Due to work circumstances, we're not able to do pre or post cruise option at all. :| But i'm sure it will be just as fun and enjoyable. The only excursion we booked when we made the small deposit was the Bora Bora OWB one night

I joined CC a while back, but finally have time to really look into our PG 7 days cruise 10/23/10. Thanks so much for all the excursions ideas! Due to work circumstances, we're not able to do pre or post cruise option at all. :| But i'm sure it will be just as fun and enjoyable. The only excursion we booked when we made the small deposit was the Bora Bora OWB one night

dande, don't feel left out. We don't do pre or post either. We did meet a couple last year who spent one of their nights in an OWB at the Bora Bora Pearl Resort. We rented a car with them the next day to tour around BB and they raved about the experience. You're in for a real treat!.

OP, PG excursions are terrific! I'm excited to take part in a Patrick tour this year, but last year we did most all our tours through the ship and they were excellent. We were fortunate to have been invited by the mayor of Moorea on a tour of the island. Of course, for those of you who have been to Moorea before, we were hanging with Albert and his bro, Beautiful William , which then turned into a visit to the pearl store, the grocery store and renting a car for the next day. :D

Since we're staying overnite at the IC Thalasso during the Bora Bora stop, should we try to squeeze in another excursion that morning? or would it be too rush? The OWB excursion check in time is 1p and check out time is 11a the next day. I read on the forum (dreamcruiser1) rented bikes and just ride around the island in 3 hrs. That sounds fun to me also.

If you are WONDERING if you should squeeze in one more excursion, the answer is probably NO. We all tend to do too much. Sometimes just chilling out for a while is what the doctor ordered.

Trust me, once you get the FP flu, you will be back again!:rolleyes:

we are also cruising on PG on the 14th August and I am also unsure to book excursions on PG or before we leave. So any valuable advice would greatly be appreciated and details of websites.

Hope you joined the roll call

I booked Dr. Poole (just to make sure we got it) and one other.

I am also booked with Patrick and Bruno. If you'd like to join us let me know. Another couple on the cruise just joined our 3/4 day trip with Patrick (he emailed me today).

Hi Laraine,

I have just received an email in regard to excursions with Patrick. He said there was one couple interested in doing the 3/4 day trip. It must be you! Yay. Chris and I would be interested if there were 3 couples as it would be a saving of $50 each.

Did you book the Dr Poole excursion through PG or independantly?

Being first time cruisers I am totally ignorant in regard to the roll call. Could you please explain to me?

Patrice.

Hi Laraine,

I have just received an email in regard to excursions with Patrick. He said there was one couple interested in doing the 3/4 day trip. It must be you! Yay. Chris and I would be interested if there were 3 couples as it would be a saving of $50 each.

Did you book the Dr Poole excursion through PG or independantly?

Being first time cruisers I am totally ignorant in regard to the roll call. Could you please explain to me?

Patrice.

We booked the dolphin excursion for Moorea and the waverunner tour in Bora Bora so far. I was thinking it would be great to go to one of the lagoonariums. Is it necessary to book some kind of excursion to do this or are they excessible by tender or can we take the kayaks over? I am a bit confused about the ray/shark thing and the lagoons. Are they different names for the same thing or entirely seperate venues.

Those of you who were looking for additional people in your group for Patrick/Bruno, could you tell me which island(s) you are taking your excursion from? Husband and I might be interested if I could figure out what it is we were signing up for.:confused:

I think I saw links posted somewhere before, but am having difficulty locating the link right now.

Thanks a bunch!

Hi Mustangmonie,

Have been in contact with Patrick's and we are prepared to do his excursion at Bora Bora if there were at least 3 couples. If you are interested that would make a goup of three couples as Laraine has also booked. His email address is:patrick@maohinui.net and his website is;http://www.maohinui.net. The excursion is the 3/4 day. It would be great if you were to consider this one.

We booked Dr Poole's precruise as it worked out to be approx $80 cheaper per couple.

Hi Mustangmonie,

Have been in contact with Patrick's and we are prepared to do his excursion at Bora Bora if there were at least 3 couples. If you are interested that would make a goup of three couples as Laraine has also booked. His email address is:patrick@maohinui.net and his website is;http://www.maohinui.net. The excursion is the 3/4 day. It would be great if you were to consider this one.

We booked Dr Poole's precruise as it worked out to be approx $80 cheaper per couple.

Thanks for the link. Patrick says he stops somewhere for the rays, somewhere for the sharks and another spot for general snorkeling. Do you know if these are his own sought out spots or are they are the same area as the lagoonarium, or stingray ballet? I am interested but I don't know what day they plan on sending us on our waverunner excursion nor what time it is at so I don't know if there would be a conflict or not. What would the rate be for Patrick's tour with three couples?

I must apologise, we are not on the same cruise. You are going this week but I got confused and thought you were on our August cruise.

Well, that settles that doesn't it. It is easy to get confused about whom is going when as there are so many kind people out there sharing what they know. Especially, when there is no face to put to the name. Thanks anyway.

Archived