Disabled Person/is a special room really required?

I am going on a cruise in Sept, and we are taking our 14 year old daughter that has Spina Bifida with us. She uses a wheelchair to get around, but is not bound to it. Her wheelchair is also very small, child size, not adult.

She is very mobile climbing and crawling outside of the chair, in the comfort of her own cabin for example.

We currently have an accessible room booked, at the very front of the ship. and a second cabin about 10 cabins down the hall. To get all 5 of us on the ship.

I am looking around and see that I could get a possible balcony room mid-ship and a regular inside cabin accrossed the hall from the balcony cabin.

My question is,

Does Carnival require her to be in the accessible room?

They do not require it but many find it easier because a regular cabin will have a 2 inch or so ledge in the doorways so she won't be able to wheel into the washroom for example. The shower also has a fold down seat making bathing easier for some.

My friend just cruised with her 17 year old daughter with spina bifida. She was glad to have the accessible room so that her daughter could return to the cabin alone without someone to move her chair around after she was out of it.

I also doubt that Carnival would require you to take a "special needs" cabin, but like the above poster, I'd bet that she'd find it much more comfortable than a regular cabin. If for no other reason, the bathroom is about double the size of a regular cabin's bathroom, with no ledge into the shower, and the shower seat built into the wall, which folds down. (Don't have to use it if you don't need it.) Also there is extra inches where it's needed for easy maneuverability of the chair.

Only you know what your child needs, and would be comfortable with, but to reiterate, the handicapped rooms are very comfortable for those who need them.

"SKY"

Here are some pictures from a handicap cabin on the Legend; the Miracle will be identical. My sister is a stroke survivor and just the seat in the shower was a help to her. The balcony is huge! My mom and I stayed next door and my other sister and nieces next to us....made for a great balcony with the dividers opened!

2636517320064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

2528868740064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

These I took on the Spirit....again, it is the same as the Miracle. Click on the picture below and it will take you to the album. Hope this helps you make a decision. I think a cabin midship is more covenient as they are right by the elevators and stairs.

2087992530064948802S600x600Q85.jpg

Im of a mind it is best to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

What happens if you find you daughter has issues with the new room as opposed to the specially designed room? You might not be able to change midcruise.

My thought on this is to actually book the room you are going to book now. That way YOU and your daughter get the lay of the land. Since you two know what is best for her you can make an educated decision for next trip.

I am a person with a disability. No one with a disability is required to book a handicap-accessible room! They are there for those of us who could not cruise without one, because we cannot get a regular-sized wheelchair through the cabin door, or into the bathroom (people talked about the 1-2 inch "lip" between cabin interior and the bathroom), or use the bathroom without being able to roll into the shower, or have the raised toilet seat, or space under the sink for our legs and wheelchair.

If your daughter doesn't need any of that, you can book any cabin you please! Given that you're talking about a child, and presumably you'll assist with toileting needs, book whatever you think you can manage!

We ALWAYS book an accessible room for Mom when we travel. But she's in a power chair and we need the space for turning radius, both in the cabin and in the bath. Plus, she can take herself potty with the flat entry to the toilet and shower. It's too big a step up to get in or out and turn into in a "regular" cabin!

We had 1002 on the CONQUEST and LOVED the additional space and the great view out the front window!!!

But if your DD can get around the cabin... she may be fine in a different cabin. Does her chair fold for storage? That is the other thing to think about. Space to store her chair and/or walker... There is space in the accessible cabins.

I have a partially obstructed balcony acessible room booked on the Miracle. Cabin 5238. It has a super long balcony if you are looking to move mid-ship. Maybe there are some available? They aren't much more then the front rooms with obstructed views you have....

My son has cystic fibrosis and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. He use a scooter for endurance and flareups and when he is having shortness of breath due to disease. I have had knee surgury and need a total knee replacement.

We book the acessible cabin as they are easy to get around. The bench in the bathrroom is great and extra space ot move around both with scooter and feet is great. No lip on the bathroom floor is a bonus too....

My son's scooter is extra small and can't get through a regular size door. A child's wheelchair wouldn't either and it is pain folding and taking them apart. We have done this and hate it !

Good luck in your choice

Charleyann

I am going on a cruise in Sept, and we are taking our 14 year old daughter that has Spina Bifida with us. She uses a wheelchair to get around, but is not bound to it. Her wheelchair is also very small, child size, not adult.

She is very mobile climbing and crawling outside of the chair, in the comfort of her own cabin for example.

We currently have an accessible room booked, at the very front of the ship. and a second cabin about 10 cabins down the hall. To get all 5 of us on the ship.

I am looking around and see that I could get a possible balcony room mid-ship and a regular inside cabin accrossed the hall from the balcony cabin.

My question is,

Does Carnival require her to be in the accessible room?

If you want the correct answer you should contact Carnival. No one here will be able to answer your questions correctly or with much authority.

AFA Carnival policies, it is possible they may require you & your daughter to stay in such a room due to insurance, maritime regulations (think evacuation) and other issues that are beyond even their control.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

If you want the correct answer you should contact Carnival. No one here will be able to answer your questions correctly or with much authority..

I think when people type this its because they dont know the answer?

I would absolutely trust the answer of someone like uppiditycats who I know as a long time HC poster herself, not just on these boards, but also on the HC boards on CC.

I would absolutely trust the answer of someone like uppiditycats who I know as a long time HC poster herself, not just on these boards, but also on the HC boards on CC.

Not only that, but even short experience with Carnival has revealed their customer service reps to be less than stellar.

We have been cruising with our daughter for years and she is in a wheelchair, she also has "other" disabilities besides physical limitations. We have never booked an accessible cabin for many reasons most being that we like a balcony and on the ships that we have sailed on there are no accessible triple cabins.

My daughters wheel chair is small enough to "just" make it through the cabin door so we have no issues there. The bathroom works although a little tight, I have to help her with all of her needs but we make it work. You can request a "shower stool" from Guess access and there is no charge. For dinning we request a table closest the doors so we do not have to navigate our way through the dinning room with her in her chair. All special requests like this you make thru Guest Access and they are VERY helpful :D

The bathroom in the cabin is the most difficult but we make it work. Other than that I would say you are good to go!

You can request a "shower stool" from Guess access and there is no charge. !

We have gotten this shower chair on Triumph and Ecstasy. The one on Triumph was fine, but on Fantasy class ships its was very very short, barely a stool a foot and a half tall maybe?? Better on newer ships.

We have been cruising with our daughter for years and she is in a wheelchair, she also has "other" disabilities besides physical limitations. We have never booked an accessible cabin for many reasons most being that we like a balcony and on the ships that we have sailed on there are no accessible triple cabins.

My daughters wheel chair is small enough to "just" make it through the cabin door so we have no issues there. The bathroom works although a little tight, I have to help her with all of her needs but we make it work. You can request a "shower stool" from Guess access and there is no charge. For dinning we request a table closest the doors so we do not have to navigate our way through the dinning room with her in her chair. All special requests like this you make thru Guest Access and they are VERY helpful :D

The bathroom in the cabin is the most difficult but we make it work. Other than that I would say you are good to go!

Not singling you out just using yours as an example.

Had your child had issues (regardless if they were real issues or insecurities/issues with the room layout etc) would you had continued to book as such or got a room equipped to make her stay more comfortable?

Seems like a compromise that needs to be decided on however that can only be decided by those making the decision.

Nothing worse then getting stuck in a position you cant get out of for 7 days and ruining the experience.

Not a knock or anything I would just think they should take the modified room then say "you know next time I can do with out this this and that.

Opposed to going and thinking based on others experience (which is not wrong) it will be fine for them and being turned off completely.

Am I babbling or does that make sense.... ? :D

Not singling you out just using yours as an example.

Had your child had issues (regardless if they were real issues or insecurities/issues with the room layout etc) would you had continued to book as such or got a room equipped to make her stay more comfortable?

Seems like a compromise that needs to be decided on however that can only be decided by those making the decision.

Nothing worse then getting stuck in a position you cant get out of for 7 days and ruining the experience.

Not a knock or anything I would just think they should take the modified room then say "you know next time I can do with out this this and that.

Opposed to going and thinking based on others experience (which is not wrong) it will be fine for them and being turned off completely.

Am I babbling or does that make sense.... ? :D

Not sure what you mean by "issues"? My daughter just like the OP's is somewhat mobil so we didn't need the larger room. The balcony is important to us because there are times my daughter needs quiet and the balcony allows her the quiet and yet she can still enjoy the sounds of the ocean along with the views.

IF my daughter was in a wheelchair 100% of the time I would most likely re-think the room because the extra room would be needed to move her wheelchair around the cabin.

I don't think that folks understand just how FEW accessible cabins their are particularly if you are traveling with more than 2 in a cabin. The ships we have sailed.....very few even then suites are NOT handicap accessible.

So in short for me I would not change my preference. I like to leave to handicap accessible cabins to those that truly need it and I will take my balcony and enjoy the view ;)

I stand by my original post (contact Carnival). If I was the OP I would feel a lot better boarding the ship with an printed email reply from Carnival Guest Services rather than a screen shot of this thread (“they” said it would be OK!).

The cruise line just like a hotel can NOT require you to take an accessible cabin. They also can not make you advise them of your disablability in advance and/or deny you boarding if you didn't advise them. There are laws and acts that protect us from that sort of practice.

Is it SMART to call Carnival and let them know YES it is. In the interest of safety the cruise lines want to know where are their guests are the may require assistance in the case of an emergency, and it helps if they have a little understand of the situation prior to boarding to insure there is not false understanding of what the cruise staff can provide to the disabled cruiser.

I stand by my original post (contact Carnival). If I was the OP I would feel a lot better boarding the ship with an printed email reply from Carnival Guest Services rather than a screen shot of this thread (“they” said it would be OK!).

Guest Services is wrong 90 percent of the time. With or without the confirming email, you won't necessarily get the same answer onboard and you'll have to follow the rules onboard, not from a guest services rep from Idaho who has never been on a cruise.

Not sure what you mean by "issues"? My daughter just like the OP's is somewhat mobil so we didn't need the larger room. The balcony is important to us because there are times my daughter needs quiet and the balcony allows her the quiet and yet she can still enjoy the sounds of the ocean along with the views.

IF my daughter was in a wheelchair 100% of the time I would most likely re-think the room because the extra room would be needed to move her wheelchair around the cabin.

I don't think that folks understand just how FEW accessible cabins their are particularly if you are traveling with more than 2 in a cabin. The ships we have sailed.....very few even then suites are NOT handicap accessible.

So in short for me I would not change my preference. I like to leave to handicap accessible cabins to those that truly need it and I will take my balcony and enjoy the view ;)

When I say issues I just mean as a person. Some people dont like certain things period. They may not want the inconvenience of getting a soda card over a pay each time, etc. Im saying issues as her as a "person" not a person with a disability.

Had she thought it was to much of a bother in the bathroom for example, thats all. However you are saying she would chose the balcony over the other slight inconviences.

Someone may find the need for a balcony over the bathroom size something they would not want to give up etc.

Thats why I would say each person needs to expierence it for themself as what one likes/needs/uses/desires/puts up with is not what someone else will.

Especially if (can you?) you cant switch rooms if you find them to your disliking.

I stand by my statement that no one with a disability is required to book a handicap-accessible room. Now, it would be a good idea, once they've boarded, if the original poster went to the customer service desk and told them that there was a person in their cabin in a wheelchair who might need assistance in case of an emergeny, but again,

no one with a disability is required to book a handicap-accessible cabin. If they feel they can make a regular cabin work for them, they're quite free to book whatever they want. There are lots of people cruising all the time who have disabilities, who are in regular cabins, and have not notified the cruise line of anything.

If you need the accessible features of a handicap-accessible cabin, then absolutely you need to notify the cruise line (specifically the special needs department, or whatever similar title they have given it), who may ask you to verify that you are disabled and truly need the cabin, before they'll book it. But otherwise, no notification is necessary, for "liability" or any other reason.

If you need the accessible features of a handicap-accessible cabin, then absolutely you need to notify the cruise line

Yeah but they dont know if they need them that is the issue. Also just because Bill might need them Sam may not.

Can you "swap" after assigned a room? After a few hours of cruising? Maybe that is what they can do... Get there early and check out the situation and make a decision? Let the Ship know they will try it w/o specialy designed room and if it doesnt work swap.

Like I said my biggest fear is not taking it and needing it ruining the experience for the daughter. That's all.

Yeah but they dont know if they need them that is the issue. Also just because Bill might need them Sam may not.

Can you "swap" after assigned a room? After a few hours of cruising? Maybe that is what they can do... Get there early and check out the situation and make a decision? Let the Ship know they will try it w/o specialy designed room and if it doesnt work swap.

Like I said my biggest fear is not taking it and needing it ruining the experience for the daughter. That's all.

The original poster's basic question was whether they were required to book a handicap accessible room. That if they showed up with their dauther in a wheelchair and hadn't booked a handicap accessible room, they'd be denied boarding or something. And it isn't REQUIRED.

Yes, they might find that, if they do stay in an accessible room that it is much more convenient for them and their daughter. The accessible features are there for that reason -- to make it more convenient, easier, more...uh..accessible..for the person who needs those features.

No, it's not likely that they'd be able to swap rooms once they board, and decide the non-accessible room doesn't work. They certainly could ask..and perhaps if the accessible room happens not to be booked, or if there is a person in one who truly is not handicapped, it's noted on their reservation that they're not, and it's noted on their reservation that they'd be willing to move ... that they'd move and the family with the daughter in a wheelchair could move. But generally that won't happen. Once they've booked, they've booked.

The original poster's basic question was whether they were required to book a handicap accessible room. That if they showed up with their dauther in a wheelchair and hadn't booked a handicap accessible room, they'd be denied boarding or something. And it isn't REQUIRED.

Yes, they might find that, if they do stay in an accessible room that it is much more convenient for them and their daughter. The accessible features are there for that reason -- to make it more convenient, easier, more...uh..accessible..for the person who needs those features.

No, it's not likely that they'd be able to swap rooms once they board, and decide the non-accessible room doesn't work. They certainly could ask..and perhaps if the accessible room happens not to be booked, or if there is a person in one who truly is not handicapped, it's noted on their reservation that they're not, and it's noted on their reservation that they'd be willing to move ... that they'd move and the family with the daughter in a wheelchair could move. But generally that won't happen. Once they've booked, they've booked.

All agreed and understood. Just didnt want the OP to get the one answer they were looking for without possibly seeing answers to questions she may not have realized would come up.

My wife has multiple sclerosis but can walk for short distances using a walker. We usually get a standard cabin and have no problems. We use a manual (non-motorized) wheelchair because it fold up nicely in the cabin and public areas. The biggest problem is getting over the metal humps in the halls and other public areas with the wheelchair. Some bumps are pretty tall and require backing over or tipping the chair to raise the front wheels. Sometime the utility carts make it difficult if not impossible to get by in the hallway, especially on older ships with narrower halls. On more than one occasion, my wife had to get out and walk while I folded the chair to get around a cart in the hall.

If you use a motorized non-folding wheelchair, you might need the accessible room just for the extra space to store the chair in the cabin. I personally don't like leaving the chair outside in the hall because (1) I'm afraid someone will steal it and (2) It can block the utility carts used by the cabin stewards. A manual chair folds up nicely in the cabin.

Be sure to lock the brakes on the chair. Sometime the ship's listing is really noticeable and can cause an unlocked chair to start rolling.

Most all of the ship should be accessible, but perhaps not all. I know on the Carnival Ecstasy, the top front deck that has the mini-golf course is not accessible. And it was difficult to get to the adult serenity area on the Ecstasy -- My wife had to walk some down a couple of steps. (Carnival really does need to make this area accessible.)

Be prepared to wait 10 minutes or more for an elevator, especially after the evening show lets out.

OP jik u have any questions u can both visit the website:

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/EMB_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

i'd def check out the accessibility of any cabin

Accessible Routes are available thought most areas of the ship and signs are posted to assist you in locating these pathways.

A Diagram of accessible routes and emergency exit routes for your ship, as well as a diagram which indicates the location of accessible seating within your ships restaurants and lounges, and accessible public restrooms are located on the links below, under your respective ships.

specific questions can be addressed here:

specialneeds@carnival.com

1.800.438.6744, ext. 70344

Archived