Hotel & Transportation

phoenix1181

We're flying into Miami but cruising from Fort Lauderdale and need help with a precruise hotel & transportation. We'd prefer to not rent a car & want a hotel with a restaurant & lounge.

On previous cruises out of Florida we've booked flights & precruise with RCCL so this is a whole new experience & I don't have a clue where to begin! Price is, of course, a consideration but I'm more concerned with the logistics. I need this to be as easy as possible.

From MIA to FLL area hotels a taxi will cost you $85-100.:eek: Depending upon how many are in your group that may be cheaper than SuperShuttle. A limo company is another option you should explore.

If your flight arives early enough I suggest you stay in the FLL area - hotels are a little cheaper and the beach is wonderful. :D If you are arriving late, then stay near MIA in the Blue Lagoon area (Hampton Inn, Homewood Sutes and others) with free airport shuttle and dining options across the street; then head for your ship in the morning via the modes listed above, or head back to MIA and catch the cruise line transfers.

After your cruise the easiest way to get to MIA is via cruise transfers.

Good luck!:)

You will find booking any hotels/shuttles yourself as opposed to using the cruiseline transfers will save you money and make much better use of your time..and patience (as you wait for buses to load and fill).

Thanks! I really appreciate your help.

At those prices, I may be renting a car after all! Any rental company recommendations? Do any companies have a facility at the port or would I have to return it to the airport?

You may find Supershuttle a better deal. Check it out before renting.

Renting a car will give you enormous flexibility regarding where you stay - you're not tied to hotels close to the port/with shuttle service. We rented from Thrifty, got a great rate with their Orlando Magicard code (004M001010), dropped it off at their office right at the entrance to Port Everglades, and used their shuttle to the ship. Everything with Thrifty worked very well.

Renting a car will give you enormous flexibility regarding where you stay - you're not tied to hotels close to the port/with shuttle service. We rented from Thrifty, got a great rate with their Orlando Magicard code (004M001010), dropped it off at their office right at the entrance to Port Everglades, and used their shuttle to the ship. Everything with Thrifty worked very well.

I don't want to rent a car and I'm not tied to anything unless I choose to be. A rental obviously works for you but that doesn't mean it works for everyone!

http://www.supershuttle.com/ is all I have ever used - check your spam filters to ensure any quotes they are sending to you are not being caught. Good luck!:)

I think this is what I was using and getting a mailer demon failure notice. I'll try it again now that I'm home. Maybe the problem was because I was trying to send it from work.........

Lots of folks on this board use SAS shuttles and give them BIG thumbs up. I believe Super Shuttle only goes one way (either to or from Miami).

My recommendations for hotels in Ft. Lauderdale are stay in the 17th St/Las Olas area, many have shuttles available from the airport and to Port Everglades, but if they don't they are close enough for a very cheap cab ride. The Airport and Port Everglades are right on top of each other.

I like Hyatt Pier 66, they have a water taxi stop for getting around, but there's nothing really within walking distance. They have a deck where you can have cocktails and burgers and watch the boats on the Intracoastal Waterway. They also have restaurants and bars inside the hotel.

If you'd prefer to stay on the beach, then Shearaton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (formerly Yankee Clipper) is a good choice.

Both have restaurants on site.

Many of the 17th St hotels are available on Priceline/Hotwire so if you're comfortable bidding you should be fine.

Have a wonderful vacation!

Lots of folks on this board use SAS shuttles and give them BIG thumbs up. I believe Super Shuttle only goes one way (either to or from Miami).

My recommendations for hotels in Ft. Lauderdale are stay in the 17th St/Las Olas area, many have shuttles available from the airport and to Port Everglades, but if they don't they are close enough for a very cheap cab ride. The Airport and Port Everglades are right on top of each other.

I like Hyatt Pier 66, they have a water taxi stop for getting around, but there's nothing really within walking distance. They have a deck where you can have cocktails and burgers and watch the boats on the Intracoastal Waterway. They also have restaurants and bars inside the hotel.

If you'd prefer to stay on the beach, then Shearaton Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (formerly Yankee Clipper) is a good choice.

Both have restaurants on site.

Many of the 17th St hotels are available on Priceline/Hotwire so if you're comfortable bidding you should be fine.

Have a wonderful vacation!

I'll check out SAS. I haven't been able to get anywhere with the Super Shuttle website.

I appreciate the hotel info. We were looking at the Doubletree Gallery One. It also has a water taxi stop & the location sounds decent. Since we've never stayed in the area I really have no clue.

I've been thinking of trying priceline since it will only be one night, but

I'm a chicken......................... And so is DH!

Archived