John Smith Bay-Opinions Please

MarieF4861

Looking for opinions on John Smith Bay from anyone who has been. I would like to go somewhere other than Horseshoe Bay since I have been there twice. Amenities (e.g., decent restrooms) are important. Also, how far is it from the dockyard? Thanks.

Looking for opinions on John Smith Bay from anyone who has been. I would like to go somewhere other than Horseshoe Bay since I have been there twice. Amenities (e.g., decent restrooms) are important. Also, how far is it from the dockyard? Thanks.

From what I recall (have not been there in a couple of years) there are no amenities at John Smith Bay except a port-o-potty type restroom. That's about it. You would have to take the ferry from King's Wharf to Hamilton and then take the #1 bus to John's Smith's Bay. It's usually not crowded due to lack of amenities. Many of the visitors arrive by scooter. Besides all this it's a beautiful beach with very pink sand.

John Smith's is a nice beach. It's smaller than Horseshoe but nice enough nonetheless. They just have port-a-potties as far as facilities are concerned. There are lifeguards on duty there during the summer. Sometimes there is a lunch wagon parked in the upper parking lot that sells things like burgers and fries. If the lunch wagon isn't there or you'd rather not eat greasy food and you don't mind taking a 5 minute walk, there is a small convenience store just up the hill from John Smiths Bay where you could buy snacks, drinks, etc.

shhhhhhhhhhhh please do not talk about this small but perfect beach! I liked that only about ten of us were there last week while there were 3 ships on the island!

Portapotty and lifeguard. Bus stop right in front, along with parking if you have a scooter. GORGEOUS spot on the island w/o the crowds of Horseshoe.

There were jellyfish in the water at all beaches last week.

We took the ferry to St. George's then the #7 bus I think.

shhhhhhhhhhhh please do not talk about this small but perfect beach! I liked that only about ten of us were there last week while there were 3 ships on the island!

Portapotty and lifeguard. Bus stop right in front, along with parking if you have a scooter. GORGEOUS spot on the island w/o the crowds of Horseshoe.

There were jellyfish in the water at all beaches last week.

We took the ferry to St. George's then the #7 bus I think.

#7 bus doesn't run on that part of the island. Had to be the #1. That beach will never be crowded because it has no facilities. People want facilities. Also it's a hassle to get to from the dockyards.

#7 bus doesn't run on that part of the island. Had to be the #1. That beach will never be crowded because it has no facilities. People want facilities. Also it's a hassle to get to from the dockyards.

So - what is the best way to get there from the dockyards on a weekend? How long would you estimate it will take? Based on responses, I am trying not to let the porta-potty situation discourage me. I would like a peaceful beach. I read somewhere that the reason there is a lifeguard is because the waters are rough. Any feedback on that from those who have been there. I don't venture out very far anyway.

So - what is the best way to get there from the dockyards on a weekend? How long would you estimate it will take? Based on responses, I am trying not to let the porta-potty situation discourage me. I would like a peaceful beach. I read somewhere that the reason there is a lifeguard is because the waters are rough. Any feedback on that from those who have been there. I don't venture out very far anyway.

I like it a lot but I would not go there from the Dockyard with all the closer South Shore beaches. John Smiths is the farthest public south shore pink sand beach from the Dockyard. If I were going from the Dockyard I would take a taxi. You could take the ferry to Hamilton and the the number 1 bus but you are going to take a lot of time since there is no direct route on the bus and ferry system.

Also, the no. 1 bus will stop running around 6pm but the sun won't go down until 8:30ish. Plus, I don't think it runs as frequently on Saturdays as it does during the week. If you have a group, it would probably be better to get a cab and arrange a time to have a cab pick you up. Definitely would be faster!

Horseshoe Bay is just one part of South Shore Park. If you walk towards the left after you arrive at Horseshoe you will find many more quieter beaches and coves with many private areas where virtually no one wanders.

While Warwick Long Bay wouldn't be our first choice for a beach day there are rarely more than a handful of people who frequent that beach. Of course on the weekend all the beaches will have more people than usual.

Horseshoe Bay is just one part of South Shore Park. If you walk towards the left after you arrive at Horseshoe you will find many more quieter beaches and coves with many private areas where virtually no one wanders.

And those coves are beautiful. I was there last week again. The whole left side facing the water before getting to the coves is usually fairly empty too. Most people congregate around the facilities leaving a lot of empty space on the other side.

And those coves are beautiful. I was there last week again. The whole left side facing the water before getting to the coves is usually fairly empty too. Most people congregate around the facilities leaving a lot of empty space on the other side.

In May, we were amazed at all the quiet spots we found all along South Shore Park. As you stated, 90% (or more) of the people were congregated at Horseshoe Bay. We didn't mind at all. :)

Archived