"Working the System" for 125% solo fare

ANEEL

There is sure to be a flaw in my logic here which is why I am posting the question, but what is stopping a solo cruiser from booking themself and some other person in a room with the royal caribbean cruise protection plan, then cancelling the 2nd person right before the cruise and recieving a 75% credit, effectively reducing the 200% cruise fare markup to 125%? I looked through the policy to see if there was anything that prevented this and didn't notice anything, but it also doesn't state that they won't just raise the rate for the "other" person now rooming alone. Does anyone know if they would permit this?

Of course, my wife and I would never need to do this, but I was wondering if this was possible for the solo cruisers out there, or even those "3rd wheels" that get stuck paying double.

As I understand it both parties have to pay for the insurance plans, same company. Double check policies; I hear they vary greatly. Never had insurance but was told to stay away from the cruise lime policy.

A couple of problems I see here.

1. I believe if you were successful at this it would constitute insurance fraud, which is a crime if I'm not mistaken.

2. I don't think it's as easy as cancelling the trip to get insurance to pay off. I was recently reading through my insurance documents for my June 27 cruise on the Freedom, and it's pretty specific about circumstances under which it pays out. Things like accidents on the way to the port (with accompanying police report as documentation) or independently verifiable natural disasters are covered. Someone just deciding not to go I don't believe would qualify for a refund, even at 75%.

There is sure to be a flaw in my logic here which is why I am posting the question, but what is stopping a solo cruiser from booking themself and some other person in a room with the royal caribbean cruise protection plan, then cancelling the 2nd person right before the cruise and recieving a 75% credit, effectively reducing the 200% cruise fare markup to 125%? I looked through the policy to see if there was anything that prevented this and didn't notice anything, but it also doesn't state that they won't just raise the rate for the "other" person now rooming alone. Does anyone know if they would permit this?

Of course, my wife and I would never need to do this, but I was wondering if this was possible for the solo cruisers out there, or even those "3rd wheels" that get stuck paying double.

The flaw I see (among others, including insurance fraud), is that you'd still be out 200% of the fare. The "other person" would simply get a 75% future cruise credit. You would not be able to use it, since it would be in the "other person's" name.

Can't be done. Insurance fraud is the main problem, and unless you can get the cancel at any time policy, you'd have to come up with documents as to why you canceled. Just can't call and cancel and expect the insurance to pay up. And finally, you wouldn't necessarily get the money back from the cruise line, but maybe a future cruise credit. If you'd cancel before final payment kicks in, the person still cruising with get stuck with the single supplement no matter what. Your plan would never work.

I was going on the assumption parties were working within the legal perameters of insurance contract. Say one had a medical emergency which provided a legal means to cancel the cruise. Second party still wished to go. If they had a policy permitting it, 2nd party could cruise on the original double rate as opposed to single rate. Saw this awhile ago, maybe on HAL form, maybe here.

Personally I do not feel that this would be entirely legal. I am not a lawyer and don't even pretend to be one on internet forums so I certainly do not know for sure, just a feeling. OP: If you decide to test out the theory don't forget to let us know how it turns out for you. But as you say you are not a solo cruiser so the point is mute.

Here is a quote from NCL's policy:

"Pre-paid non-refundable cancellation charges imposed by NCL and/or airfare cancellation charges for flight joining or departing Your Sea/Land Arrangements, provided such flights were booked through NCL; or the additional costs You may incur as a result of a change in the per-person occupancy rate of prepaid travel arrangements if a person booked to share accommodations with You cancels his/her NCL Vacation for a covered reason and You do not cancel."

This definitely sounds like the remaining passenger would be reimbursed for any additional costs incurred if he is reclassified from PPDO to SINGLE status. But it's not immediately clear to me whether this would be paid in cash or in the form of a credit. And, naturally, this assumes the canceling party does so under an allowed provision. I'm guessing for this purpose, canceling under NCL's "cancel for any reason" provision does NOT constitute a "covered" reason.

To repeat, this is NCL's policy. Other may vary...

Archived