Celebrity asking to prepay gratuities

Frankie Sue

If you remove the auto-tip (added daily) your waiter and room attendant will be advised. We always choose Select Dining and pay the gratuities upfront, one less thing on the shipboard account. I am not syaing that this should be compulsory or that it is the best way to do it for everyone, but it suits us.

I'm seeking clarification that the upfront gratuities are considered refundable in the event of a late cancellation. Does anyone know???

All the talk here has been about pre paying tips with select dining, but we have selected traditional dining and were encouraged to pay our tips up front, which we have done. So I think it is now an option for anyone who wishes to do this.

As long as service levels are good......

I'm GLAD there's mandatory prepayment, and even auto-tip.

People who are doing well enough to go on a cruise, and DON'T think enough to give a few bucks to people doing hardwork on the ship......need to be policed.

Knowing that it annoys them, well, i'll admit.....makes me HAPPY. :)

The prepaid charge is returned/taken off your charge card if you cancel. It isn't part of your insurance reimbursing, just as your prepaid tours - this is from another poster, never done it myself.

As to discouraging using Select Dining - maybe those that want to stiff the waitstaff/stweards and now they can't. I know, a generalization. there are those who love to bring all that cash on board, put it in envelopes and give it to the staff....but the other 99% accept the auto or prepaid approach as a much better approach. by the way, you can still use envelopes by giving them additinal tips.

To anticpate the inevitable....no, few if any have reported a reduction in service because gratuities are auto/prepaid; if you have an issue, the best way to take care of it is to talk to the management/front desk, not take gratuities away from the entire team.

Denny

My DW and I have taken a couple of cruises where we used traditional dining and sat with people who boldly stiffed the wait staff on the last night. They just got up at the last minute and rushed past the staff then out the door. We were shocked that we had sat with them for 26 nights and didn't expect such cheap behaivor. WoW! :mad: BTW, we usually gave an envelope with cash weekly to those who are special, even though we were on auto pay.

RuffinReady

My DW and I have taken a couple of cruises where we used traditional dining and sat with people who boldly stiffed the wait staff on the last night. They just got up at the last minute and rushed past the staff then out the door. We were shocked that we had sat with them for 26 nights and didn't expect such cheap behaivor. WoW! :mad: BTW, we usually gave an envelope with cash weekly to those who are special, even though we were on auto pay.

RuffinReady

Then there are those who simply do not come to dinner on the last evening:eek:. And, no, it's not because they are busy packing in order to put their luggage out in time!

Have others noticed how many tables are empty at the last dinner?

I personally have never had a significant issue with service levels on a Celebrity Ship. We elected for Select Dining on our March Cruise on the Equinox and it worked just fine. It's just that much less cask that I have to carry onto the ship. If I choose to add something for someone on the last day ( I did), that's very easy also.

I think that if the service that you receive displeases you to the extent that you would pull or reduce the gratuity at the end of the cruise, then I will suggest that you probably should have addressed the issue when it happened and not waited until the last moment, and given someone in authority a chance to solve the problem right then. Given Celebrity's well deserved reputation for Superior Service, I think that it isn't really fair not to give the Ship a chance to address the problem and make it right.

It also may be that the person (s) that you are "penalizing" are not really the people who own the problem and that isn't totally fair either.

The bottom line is as Denny 01 stated it, it basically is Company Policy, they are very much up front about it, if you don't want to do it, then don't select the Select Dining Option and don't pre-pay it.

Just my $0.02

I wanted to be able to eat early or late depending on excursions and such. My choice was early dinner or select. Well, early dinner was full so we were forced to take the late dinner seating or pre-pay gratuities and have select dining. I really don't mind pre paying, but I would like to decide for myslf who deserves more when they put more effort into servicing me. At least with the prepay system, those working on the ship are assured some extra payment, I don't think they get that much from the cruise line. I think I will still keep a few dollars at hand for any person I see doing an extra effort. Some of the staff are more outgoing and are more experienced and are more noticeable, others are quietly doing their jobs in the background. Running dishes and servicing the buffet or around the pool is just as hard a job as the over the top personal waiter. If I see someone really working hard and actually working (ie.) Cleaning tables for others to be seated or replenishing foods etc. They need a little notice and a tip as well because they are trully working hard. But, that's my feeling. I think some workers LOOK for what needs to be done and others always need to be told. I think the prior should be tipped for their effort.

Yes, it added to my final payment, but its taken care of and I believe that is part of the cruise ........ and a big part. If the staff is happy, we'll be happy. The guy at the bottom doing the work should be rewarded.

In order to receive the waiver for preexisting medical conditions you must insure all nonrefundable costs. Not that anyone is worried about $10 per day but it gives the insurance company a reason for refusinig your claim.

Exactly....that's why I'm trying to also nail down if this is a refundable expense. Would like to know exactly how much to insure.

Celebrity and other lines need to include tips in the fare and allow us to tip extra for great service

I agree. "Recommended gratuities" should be added on and included as mandatory in the package price, just like at most all-inclusive resorts. That way people will tip extra for good service without feeling compelled to do so twice.

I wouldn't worry that the cruise companies will loose their edge in advertising dirt-cheap rates - these rates are really deceiving anyways, attracting many people on tight budget who have no choice but "stiffing" the staff using 1001 excuses, because cruise line makes that possible.

I agree. "Recommended gratuities" should be added on and included as mandatory in the package price, just like at most all-inclusive resorts. That way people will tip extra for good service without feeling compelled to do so twice.

I wouldn't worry that the cruise companies will loose their edge in advertising dirt-cheap rates - these rates are really deceiving anyways, attracting many people on tight budget who have no choice but "stiffing" the staff using 1001 excuses, because cruise line makes that possible.

Absolutely agree here.

On another post on CC a couple of people pointed out how ignorant I was for not knowing how little the staff get paid (around $50 a month apparently). What shocked me was that they were more indignant that I didn't know this than the fact that they were sponsoring activities that kept the staff below the poverty line.

I'm happy to prepay gratuities as it's closest to my ideal - paying people fair pay for fair work. I'll tip when I see someone going beyond my service expectations.

I would love to see the main cruise lines competing not on cost but on quality of their hard and soft product.

• 2 years later...
The prepaid charge is returned/taken off your charge card if you cancel. It isn't part of your insurance reimbursing, just as your prepaid tours - this is from another poster, never done it myself.

As to discouraging using Select Dining - maybe those that want to stiff the waitstaff/stweards and now they can't. I know, a generalization. there are those who love to bring all that cash on board, put it in envelopes and give it to the staff....but the other 99% accept the auto or prepaid approach as a much better approach. by the way, you can still use envelopes by giving them additinal tips.

To anticpate the inevitable....no, few if any have reported a reduction in service because gratuities are auto/prepaid; if you have an issue, the best way to take care of it is to talk to the management/front desk, not take gratuities away from the entire team.

Denny

You have convinced me to cancel my upcoming cruise with celebrity and rebook a similar cruise on Princess. I was going to try X for the first time in 20 cruises, but current rules have changed me back. To prepay for tours is ridiculous and to prepay tips if select/anytime dining is chosen is even more ridiculous. Princess and others have worked out a system so daily gratuities are the same no matter where you eat and charged to shipboard account daily. They also provide envelopes so we can leave even more to a favorite worker(s) on the ship.

That seems a bit drastic :eek:

We never have select dining, but always pre-pay our gratuities, we just find it easier all round.

With regards to paying for trips before you go, even P&O have adopted that policy now, so I'd be surprised if Princess don't follow before too long.

Just my opinion, but don't really see what all the fuss is about tips - or am I missing something?

Lou

You have convinced me to cancel my upcoming cruise with celebrity and rebook a similar cruise on Princess. I was going to try X for the first time in 20 cruises, but current rules have changed me back. To prepay for tours is ridiculous and to prepay tips if select/anytime dining is chosen is even more ridiculous. Princess and others have worked out a system so daily gratuities are the same no matter where you eat and charged to shipboard account daily. They also provide envelopes so we can leave even more to a favorite worker(s) on the ship.

You cancelled your cruise based on a three year old thread about gratuities :eek: bye then!

Little bit off topic but my family and I are about to embark on our first cruise, we were required to pre pay our gratuities and felt quite happy that this was one thing we didn't have to worry about. I have since heard much talk about handing out envelopes towards the end of the cruise, are we expected to give additional tips? It's all a bit confusing. :confused:

Karen

Little bit off topic but my family and I are about to embark on our first cruise, we were required to pre pay our gratuities and felt quite happy that this was one thing we didn't have to worry about. I have since heard much talk about handing out envelopes towards the end of the cruise, are we expected to give additional tips? It's all a bit confusing. :confused:

Karen

Karen, please don't worry - there is nothing worse than people getting whipped up into a frenzy about tipping, especially when it's their first cruise.

When you have pre-paid, the staff know you have, and in our experience, we have never felt they have been 'looking' for anything extra. Go with your feelings - if someone has made your trip really special, or looked after you 'above and beyond' if you'd like to give them a thank you, then go ahead. Please don't feel pressured into thinking you've paid all that money, and then have to dig deep to pay 'again' :)

Go and have a wonderful time, I know you will :)

Lou

Did anyone notice that the same poster brought back two different two or three year old threads about tipping to essentially bad mouth Celebrity and push Princess cruises. What's up with that.

With all the recent tipping threads why bring up two from a few years ago which have references to Princess. Agenda????

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1421713

Well, I don't know about anyone else, but they can try and bad mouth Celebrity all they want - I won't be listening :)

After 30+ cruises with P&O (and Cunard twice) who come from the same 'stable' as Princess, I look my first Celebrity cruise in 2011 and have never looked back. Have no desire to go back - it's my own personal decision - I'm not about to be persuaded by anything but my own experiences.

Lou (oh, and just for the record, I have VERY high standards,lol)

Just back from X cruise on Sat. Prepaid gratuities and we both actually commented on the difference! We found with RCCL there was the awkward moment when they were expecting tips (which we usually paid anyhow). Not once on X did we find this or have anyone hanging around looking for a tip.

Another thing that I noticed was in Celebrity Today there was a notice saying that gratuities would be deducted automatically on a daily basis (with the option to remove this) if you hadn't prepaid.

We left our remaining currency for our stateroom attendants as they were really super. We had brought on board out two bottles of wine, he saw them sitting and brought us a filled ice bucket without even asking.

Hope the person who cancelled enjoys their Princess Cruise- More room on board for us fans!!

Archived