Kiel Canal

jettman

Hello

We are considering a cruise that includes the Kiel Canal. Can anyone share their experience of a Kiel Canal transit? What is it like, is it interesting and worth doing vs a destination city in the Baltic?

Thanks!

Jettman, I reviewed my notes from a Baltic cruise on the Whisper in 2006. We left Warnemunde, Germany, on route to Amsterdam, and transited the Kiel Canal on 9/14. It was interesting and pleasant, entering the Elbe estuary and then the North Sea. But my notes say "no great shakes." It was pleasant, but not an event, nothing like the Panama Canal, for instance. It is just a pleasant transit between Baltic and North Seas.

Jettman, I reviewed my notes from a Baltic cruise on the Whisper in 2006. We left Warnemunde, Germany, on route to Amsterdam, and transited the Kiel Canal on 9/14. It was interesting and pleasant, entering the Elbe estuary and then the North Sea. But my notes say "no great shakes." It was pleasant, but not an event, nothing like the Panama Canal, for instance. It is just a pleasant transit between Baltic and North Seas.

I have gone through the Kiel Canal twice, and agree completely with this comment. Very nice, but not particularly special. Agree that it is nowhere near as interesting as the Panama Canal. I wouldn't choose it over an interesting port.

I agree with the other posters. Entered from the North Sea to get to Copenhagen on the Wind, almost a day of transit. As you enter there are wind turbines which were interesting but not too much to see. Its history is interesting in that Hitler was instrumental in widening the canal and it was used during WWII by Germany. Other than that I'd consider other options.

If you are looking to experience an engineering marvel, go Panama, if you want to see a ditch dug through the sand, go Suez, but if you want something completely different, with sights every mile of the way, go Kiel. We thought it was absolutely charming, to sail thru' people's backyards and gardens, and to see people walking their dogs or cycling alongside the canal was enthralling.

If you are looking to experience an engineering marvel, go Panama, if you want to see a ditch dug through the sand, go Suez, but if you want something completely different, with sights every mile of the way, go Kiel. We thought it was absolutely charming, to sail thru' people's backyards and gardens, and to see people walking their dogs or cycling alongside the canal was enthralling.

Umtali,

Your description sold us on transiting the Kiel Canal. :) Our favorite activity when visiting a new place is learning how the residents spend their time and go about their lives. The Kiel Canal will give us the perfect opportunity to do so.

Archived