McKinley Dome Car from Anchorage to Fairbanks

ganny3

We are taking the train from Anchorage to Fairbanks to start our cruise tour. We have come across a special that allows you to stop at Talkeetna to overnight at the Princess Wilderness Lodge, and then continue on to Fairbanks the next day at very little more than a regular ticket. Does anyone know about the shuttle from the Princess Lodge into Talkeetna. It appears that the town is quite some distance from the Lodge so I have some concerns about whether or not we could go into town. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Barbara

The lodge is an hour away. The shuttles run about once/hour. I would definately stop off there or Denali Park, the 12 hour train ride is grueling, in my opinion and scenery is only a couple hours of the trip. Rest is trees and more trees- not the scenic portion of the Alaska RR.

I suggest you figure out what you want to do with your stop over time??? Out of Talkeetna, flightseeing is a top choice to consider.

I suggest you figure out what you want to do with your stop over time??? Out of Talkeetna, flightseeing is a top choice to consider.

We don't want to do any big excursions on this train trip as we will do those later during the cruisetour with our friends we are meeting in Fairbanks and doing the tour and cruise with. We do want to break up the 12 hour train ride, and were hoping that the Princess Lodge was close to something. We like taking pictures and viewing the scenery but are not big shoppers. Will there be anything close to the Lodge or by taking the shuttle to take up that half day on the day we arrive? Is there a shuttle schedule posted somewhere? The special we found doesn't give the option of Denali Park, only Talkeetna at the Princess Lodge.

Thanks

Barbara

We don't want to do any big excursions on this train trip as we will do those later during the cruisetour with our friends we are meeting in Fairbanks and doing the tour and cruise with. We do want to break up the 12 hour train ride, and were hoping that the Princess Lodge was close to something. We like taking pictures and viewing the scenery but are not big shoppers. Will there be anything close to the Lodge or by taking the shuttle to take up that half day on the day we arrive? Is there a shuttle schedule posted somewhere? The special we found doesn't give the option of Denali Park, only Talkeetna at the Princess Lodge.

Thanks

Barbara

Nope, there is nothing at the Lodge, a short hiking trail, about it. IF McKinley is viewable, that is reason to be there, rare.

Call the lodge direct, for the shuttle bus schedules.

Talkeetna is a VERY small "town". You can walk it in 5 minutes. There is some "shopping", a small museum. The Park Service has exhibits at their building on the side street.

Nope, there is nothing at the Lodge, a short hiking trail, about it. IF McKinley is viewable, that is reason to be there, rare.

Call the lodge direct, for the shuttle bus schedules.

Talkeetna is a VERY small "town". You can walk it in 5 minutes. There is some "shopping", a small museum. The Park Service has exhibits at their building on the side street.

Can you tell me how far Talkeetna is from the Mckinley Princess Wilderness Lodge?

Thanks

Barbara

Archived