Red Roof Inn, JAX,Apirport, questions.

TnMama

My roomie and I are booked at this econo motel in Jax{airport} in july. We know its not 5 star spot,but the price was right.

Have any of you stayed there? If you have would you again? I read on a website its walking distance to a resturaunt and things like that,but I want honest opinions. We still have 3 weeks before sailing,so if its a heap,I know we can change.

thanks!

I have stayed at many Red Roof Inns (just not that particular one) and have found most to be surprisingly nice. They renovated almost all of them in the last couple of years. Good luck and have a great trip!

On the other side of the interstate from the airport is The River City Marketplace. Lots of shops and restaurants.

http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-dec-river-city-marketplace

Without a car, it might be a bit of a walk to get to RCMP. About a mile away. This is not the best time of the year to be walking in JAX. But there is a cineplex there with first run movies, and the typical big box and national chain stores. Restaurants are mostly the major chains--Chilis,Olive Garden, Red Lobster, et.al.. The Green Papaya is a bit different with Asian fusion cooking. The nearest restaurants to Red Roof are Longhorn Steakhouse and Denny's. Just a bit further down Airport Road before I-95 is Millhouse which is long time local place with better food than any of the chains along that stretch, IMO.

I've stayed at good and bad Red Roof Inns in the past, haven't been to this one, but understand it's been under the same management for a long time, which is often a good sign for a franchise.

We've stayed in the Holiday Inn Express near the cruise port for the cruise and park package in Jacksonville. The Red Roof Inn at the airport is okay. We've known folks who stayed there for a cruise. Call the hotel directly and ask them what restaurants-shops are nearby and safe to walk to.

Guess I should have said, we are renting a car. We're going early the day before to sight see some down in St.Aug,and meet up with a fellow cruiser.

thanks for the info. If anyone has stayed there,do you have pics? Im interested in seeing them. thanks hard 8. We need to hit a grocery store for a few things to take with us, items neither of us want to fly with,so Im glad to know theres Walmart near by...Ive made it a mission of mine to hit as many walmarts as I can in the states,lol.

Guess I should have said, we are renting a car. We're going early the day before to sight see some down in St.Aug,and meet up with a fellow cruiser.

thanks for the info. If anyone has stayed there,do you have pics? Im interested in seeing them. thanks hard 8. We need to hit a grocery store for a few things to take with us, items neither of us want to fly with,so Im glad to know theres Walmart near by...Ive made it a mission of mine to hit as many walmarts as I can in the states,lol.

Well, St Augustine changes everything, food wise...no need to eat by the airport. Ask for directions but Caps on the Water just north of SA on the Coastal highway is an excellent place to eat dinner, especially near sunset time. Try their vanilla grouper. Alternative is Saltwater Cowboys. And when walking around SA, don't pass by the Denoel Pastry shop on Charlotte St. without at least grabbing an eclair. Yum.

I second Salt Water Cowboys if you are looking for some local flavor. It's a bit of a drive south from the "tourist area" in St Augustine. You could always eat in downtown Jacksonville on your way back towards the airport. Ruth's Chris, Chart House, River City Brewery on the Southbank or visit the Landing to see downtown at night.

Hey am I "fellow cruiser" hope so!!!!!! :D

Hey am I "fellow cruiser" hope so!!!!!! :D

YES, but I ment Charlotte. lol. We will meet up with you the night before. Hows that.

Thanks for the info on things to do and places to go. I like Local places to eat. if I can eat it at home,I wont eat it on vacation. resturaunt wise. but this time,i have to make an exception and eat at Sonic for dinner. My roomie has never been there,so Im making her an exception:D

So I wound up cancelling this reservation. I got a lower rate at Jacksonville Plaza and Suites hotel. So far so good on the rate and customer serivce. When I get home,Ill include the hotel in my reivew...18 days!!! wooo hooo!!!

Archived