British v. American Markets

Classiccruiser777

I'm an American that has taken several cruises on the QE2, QM2 and recently tried Holland America. While reading other posts I have read opinions that the different cruise lines seem to be for different markets. For example, a person said that Fred Olsen and P&O are very British while Royal Caribbean and Princess are very much for the American Market.

I must admit that having now taken a cruise on Holland America (from a US port and most of the passengers were American) I prefer Cunard (most of the passengers on all the cruises were from the UK).

I would like opinions on what cruise line attributes are those that are considered to be "British" and those that are "American?" What makes Fred Olsen and P&O British and Royal Caribbean and Princess American?

I'm an American that has taken several cruises on the QE2, QM2 and recently tried Holland America. While reading other posts I have read opinions that the different cruise lines seem to be for different markets. For example, a person said that Fred Olsen and P&O are very British while Royal Caribbean and Princess are very much for the American Market.

I must admit that having now taken a cruise on Holland America (from a US port and most of the passengers were American) I prefer Cunard (most of the passengers on all the cruises were from the UK).

I would like opinions on what cruise line attributes are those that are considered to be "British" and those that are "American?" What makes Fred Olsen and P&O British and Royal Caribbean and Princess American?

No rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks and movies under the stars on the "British" ships. Close as possible to a proper afternoon tea and no buckets of beer nor hairy leg contests on the "British ships" A higher level of thought taken when putting together elegant casual evening attire and of course more than a passing glance at formal nights on the "British" ships.

Need more be said?

I find that I am left to my own devices to choose what I want to do on British ships - it may just be perception, but I always get a feeling that I'm expected to be doing something or talking to someone on US ships. Never really thought about it, so it is quite hard to define, but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

I find that I am left to my own devices to choose what I want to do on British ships - it may just be perception, but I always get a feeling that I'm expected to be doing something or talking to someone on US ships. Never really thought about it, so it is quite hard to define, but that is the first thing that comes to mind.

If I might expand on that thought - British Ships cater to adults of all ages from 1- 100 offering them a lot of things to do but leaving it up to the passenger to decide. American ships cater to children of all ages from 1- 100 who seem to require lots of entertainment but also need to be lead into doing. Hence the need for constant announcements and a cruise director with a triple A personality.

No rock climbing walls, ice skating rinks and movies under the stars on the "British" ships. Close as possible to a proper afternoon tea and no buckets of beer nor hairy leg contests on the "British ships" A higher level of thought taken when putting together elegant casual evening attire and of course more than a passing glance at formal nights on the "British" ships.

Need more be said?

Right on the money, I'd say.

Archived