Sitka weather / how rough has the water been?

realent

We are thinking of going out with Esther G on a trip out to St Lazarias (sp) to see the Puffins... We will be there next week and although the weather will be totally different by then I just wondered if anyone could report on how it has been?

We were out about 2wks ago with Capt. Davey, what a great guy! The tour was a lot of fun, but we did experience some pretty rough water. My GF felt a little iffy a few times, but never got sick. Davey was very careful to plan his route according to the water conditions for the smoothest possible ride. I would book it, it was very worth while!

We were out about 2wks ago with Capt. Davey, what a great guy! The tour was a lot of fun, but we did experience some pretty rough water. My GF felt a little iffy a few times, but never got sick. Davey was very careful to plan his route according to the water conditions for the smoothest possible ride. I would book it, it was very worth while!

hmmm, I am debating between going with Capt Davey or doing the ship otter thing in the morning and photo tour in the afternoon....

Any thoughts? Did you get to see lots of otters and puffins? I am really wanting to get some good photos. I have a nice camera and am an armature photographer.. I just like to take pictures !!!..

We are doing whale watching in Juneau with Capt Larry so i don't know if I want to do another boat trip...

Where you on the Rotterdam? Did you have a good time?

hmmm, I am debating between going with Capt Davey or doing the ship otter thing in the morning and photo tour in the afternoon....

Any thoughts? Did you get to see lots of otters and puffins? I am really wanting to get some good photos. I have a nice camera and am an armature photographer.. I just like to take pictures !!!..

We are doing whale watching in Juneau with Capt Larry so i don't know if I want to do another boat trip...

IF you go with the ship tour- they do not always go to St Lazaria, so no puffins.

These boat tours are COMPLETELY different. :)

Yes we were on the Rotterdam. We saw many puffins and otters with Davey. As I said it was a great tour and well worth it. The weather is unpredictable and Davey will not go out if it is unsafe. He has all of the precautions on the boat (sea sick meds, and bags), you will be fine. We got some great pictures, had 3 bodies with a combo of 70-200, 300, and 400mm lenses. I posted a Rotterdam review on the CC board if you are interested in Rotterdam reports.

Thank you all so much for posting. Yes, I did read your review Trophy! Thanks so much. It was very good...

I think we will go with Capt Davey, We don't have anyone at all on our roll call that wants to chat and am having trouble putting a group together but maybe we can onboard the ship. We will have a few days to find a couple of people who are game..

We are packing tonight! Can't wait... my first trip to Alaska....

A couple of weeks ago we had a great sea otter search with the ship's excursion on Allen Marine. Their large comfortable boat was very stable and we had very little rough water. At one point when he sped up it did get a little bouncy but only for a few minutes.

Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/alaska2010.html

for some good pictures of the otters and also the boat.

We did see Cap'n Davey's boat go by. He and our captain Greg are good friends. His eight or ten passengers were standing on the open deck wearing life jackets. Frankly that is not for me, but if you prefer the small boat experience it would probably be great.

This is one of the few places that I wished I had a long telephoto lens on my camera. The boats are not allowed to approach closer than 100 yards and the otters are pretty small. A wide angle lens just gets dots on the water.

We did not get any puffins on the ship's excursion.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We did see Cap'n Davey's boat go by. He and our captain Greg are good friends. His eight or ten passengers were standing on the open deck wearing life jackets. Frankly that is not for me, but if you prefer the small boat experience it would probably be great.

Are you sure you saw the Esther G? When we were on it in 2008 it only held six passengers and Captain Davey. We also didn't have to wear life jackets, though in our safety briefing we were told where they were stored. So maybe whatever boat it was, the passengers may have wanted to wear them or the Captain felt it was necessary due to how choppy the water was????

Are you sure you saw the Esther G? When we were on it in 2008 it only held six passengers and Captain Davey. We also didn't have to wear life jackets, though in our safety briefing we were told where they were stored. So maybe whatever boat it was, the passengers may have wanted to wear them or the Captain felt it was necessary due to how choppy the water was????

Same for us, no lifejackets had to be worn, but we were given the safety briefing. Plent of space for 6pax on his boat. His daughter even baked some cookies for the group. I dont think you need to even find a group to go, when we booked it was only us 2 for a long while, then we met another couple on the ship that joined us, the 3rd couple were doing a land tour of Alaska and we all got along great. I think he'll take you out even if its only two of you.

We were on with Davey two weeks ago on the HAL Amsterdam 14 day itinerary. The Esther G only holds six passengers plus Davey. When we arrived at the dock, it was blustery, windy and the water was rough. He asked our group what we wanted to do, and recommended against St. Laz because of the sea conditions. But he said if we wanted to go, he was game, just that he thought it would be a rough ride. After some discussion, our group (hey Sue, Rhodi, Mary and Kim!) decided to skip St. Laz and search for whales. Good choice! We saw our first gray whale, which was really cool! And some humpbacks as well, sea otters, sea lions, loads of birds, a flock of eagles in a little cove showing their youngster how to fish, and some pretty spectacular scenery. We did not wear life jackets, but all knew where they were and what to do in an emergency. The boat was comfortable, warm and dry. Those who chose to sit outside (that would be you LVSue!) did, and those that chose to go in and out at will did. It was a great excursion and despite the rough seas, I think I can safely say for us all that we had a blast!! You just never know in Alaska! Sometimes the seas are smooth as glass, sometimes not. I wish you smooth sailing to one of the most beautiful southeast Alaska ports - Sitka!

OK -- six passengers. I didn't make an exact count, just saw them standing on deck in the orange jackets. Seems to me the name on the boat was the Esther G II? Does he have two boats?

Anyhow, they looked as if they were enjoying the trip their way! I was enjoying the trip my way, sitting on a comfortable seat in a big warm cabin with a snack bar and flush toilet. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

• 2 weeks later...

It was rocky whenever we slowed down or stopped.Half way through I took another Bonine after we stopped and I could smell the diesel. Not my thing!It was windy and somewhat cold out on deck I brought my gloves and was glad I did. DH being his macho self didn't and his fingers got numb.Another passenger (a 13 year old girl) was freezing and spent most of her time inside the cabin curled up.Was it worth it H''' Yes, Spectacular! We saw so many birds and especially loved the gray whale,the sea lion playing with his fish throwing it up in the air and then catching it.We also saw a Black Tailed Deer,but Best of all was when we came up upon a mama otter and her baby.I guess we scared her and she took off leaving the baby crying.DH got it all on video and it was very heart warming when we pulled further away and she came back to her baby.We all sang Reunited.Captain Davey said she must have been very young and that he had never seen that before.I will attempt to send the video clip to him to post on his web site.Worth every penny and then some.You Rock Captain Davey!

I just got back from Sitka and was out on the water while there with Capt. Paul Davis and Gallant Adventures. This was the second time we've been out with him. The first time, it was sunny and glassy even smack dab in the middle of the ocean. Not a wave or hint of wind anywhere to be seen. It was awesome and we went to st lazaria island among other o

places. It was as good as a trip could be. The weather this time wasn't as nice. It was rainy with low clouds and windy. We met Paul at the dock in the morning and he updated us on the conditions and gave us options. St Lazaria was out, but there are still amazing things to be seen! It isn't about what you check off your list, it's about what you make out of the experience. Paul is enthusiastic, excited to be alive and this is contagious as we all had an absolute blast, despite not seeing puffins and having bad weather. While everyone else on the ship were looking at trinkets, we were looking at an avalanche chute and hearing a story about when Paul and a buddy were swept off their feet in an avalanche somewhere near Mt St Elias, only to both stand up, shake the snow out from underneath their collar and pants and laugh. I doubt anyone hears personalized stories like this on a HAL excursion! Point is, if you go with a local like Paul Davis or from what I read on here, Esther g, you can't go wrong! But make it be known, Big Bob (that's me) endorses my Alaskan friend, Paul Davis and Gallant Adventures! You will not be disappointed and he will show you the best if what's out there for that given day and you can't ask for more than that!

Mauifan,When we arrived in Sitka last wk , it was cloudy but very calm. After our tender we booked a wildlife otter/puffin excursion w/Tale of the Whale. We were pleased with the personalized service. We saw otters, a whale that surfaced next to the boat, otters and a variety of birds.

Demand for this excursion is down, as we were the only ones at St Lazaria island. It seemed most boat charters were fisherman, and the Salmon were biting this particular morning.

Archived