World Cup final weekend: What's Rome likely to be like?

poss

I imagine that if Italia wins the Cup (and even in the days preceeding), the city will be fairly hectic. I tried to google to ascertain whether there'd be certain closings (streets, sites, etc), but I didn't learn much. I'm hoping that people may be able to give me some sense of what ways the city will be different for a tourist during that special weekend (a tourist who hopes to be able to visit the usual and regulars, not just be swept up in the hoopla-- which I know is lots of fun for many).

E.g. I know that there'll be a gigantic screen set up (with many thousands in attendance) somewhere in the Borghese area. And I imagine that would cut out any restful time in those lovely gardens. Would that be on Saturday, too, or just Sunday, I wonder. What are the other main things that will be affected?

Any insight much appreciated, as I try to plan for our three-day stay.

Where did you read about a screen in the Borghese? In my experience, over the last decade, when big screens were set up in Rome it was generally in Circo Massimo. Even when big events, and big protests, have been going on in Rome, I've never had my sightseeing disrupted. Soccer fans aren't hanging around museums, churches, etc.

Parties may get raucous afterwards in some of the main gathering areas, but that will be easy to avoid.

I read the big-screen location on several sites, including, I believe Trip Advisor Rome Forum. If I'm remembering correctly, there are several inquiries about where to watch the Big Game. The screen is in a particular section of the Borghese area, but I don't remember where exactly (especially since I'm totally unfamiliar with the city). It did make me think, though, that it'd be an area one would do best to avoid if one weren't interested in big crowds or in soccer.

I imagine that if Italia wins the Cup (and even in the days preceeding), the city will be fairly hectic. I tried to google to ascertain whether there'd be certain closings (streets, sites, etc), but I didn't learn much. I'm hoping that people may be able to give me some sense of what ways the city will be different for a tourist during that special weekend (a tourist who hopes to be able to visit the usual and regulars, not just be swept up in the hoopla-- which I know is lots of fun for many).

E.g. I know that there'll be a gigantic screen set up (with many thousands in attendance) somewhere in the Borghese area. And I imagine that would cut out any restful time in those lovely gardens. Would that be on Saturday, too, or just Sunday, I wonder. What are the other main things that will be affected?

Any insight much appreciated, as I try to plan for our three-day stay.

You are wrong, Italy is not going to win, Italy will not even be in the final!

Screwcork

I guess I found the same mention you did on Trip Advisor, it's at Piazza Siena. If you make a google map of Piazza Siena, you'll see how much more there is to the Borghese park than just that area.

There are many other parks in Rome, if you want to be sure to avoid the soccer crowd. Villa Borghese is not smack in the middle of things, so it may not be the best park to visit on a short trip anyway.

There's a lovely small park on Via Quirinale, between Sant'Andrea al Quirinale and San Carlo al quattro fontane.

There's another on Via ****onale, at Via Mazzarino.

Or Cielo, near the Colosseum.

Or Giancolo.

Or Doria Pamphilj, if you want a really big park.

Or the botanical gardens.

Archived