Royal Caribbean vs Celebrity?

...>>SNIP<<...The buffet was organized in a way that created long lines and the food was, again, unremarkable. Unlike Royal, on Celebrity you have to ask for the item you want and the person behind the line hands it to you. Unfortunately, when I asked for an item that was posted on the sign, the attendant had no clue what it was.

The buffet on the new Solstice class now follows the RC design of multiple self-service action stations, with just the omelet station being ask-the-guy-at-the-counter type.

The ship's design [which hopefully will be better on the new ships] created several bottlenecks. The public spaces were closed in compared to the openness of every Royal Caribbean ship I have been on. Even on a smaller ship, it seemed extremely crowded.

Again, the basic layout of the Solstice class follows the basic layout of the RC Voyager/ Freedom classes, with the exception of the promenade which is two decks high here ( 4 and 5) and not as wide as the RC promenades .

The activities were similar to Rayal, but not as well done.

Celebrity now has 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's nights as well as a fairly well attended L&M game show. None were as well done as the RC versions, in part due to problems with the layout of the performing venues. Gauzy curtains in the lounge sort of make it hard for those not at the front to see what is going on.:confused:

Again I recognize I was on an old ship -- but we have been on old Royal ships as well [Monarch, and Splendour (DW has been on Majesty)]. I never felt like the older Royal ships were treated as second class parts of the fleet. I CLEARLY felt that way on Mercury.

I don't want to overstate this -- we had a good time, loved our first visit to the Pacific Northwest, and had a great time with great friends. But I did not see all of the great service and amenities I had been led to expect from Celebrity. It was not as good in those respects as ANY Royal cruise we have taken. I would not pay extra for a similar itinerary on Celebrity.

Of course, the Solstice class ships are drop-dead gorgeous with extremely snazzy modern designs.

If you can afford the difference, Celebrity is the way to go. RCCL is skimping on everything they can. Most noticeable, was lunch in the Windjammer. This is the first cruise of many where I did not look forward to lunch. Most of the dishes were of "Indian" descent, with strange unfamiliar names. On most of them, there wasn't even a sign saying what was in the dish! I am a meat and potatoes person, but there wasnt a sign of meat to be found anywhere. I love asian food, but the asian section has little of anything. You felt like you were in a cafeteria in a third world country, and this was on Freedom of the Seas!

We marched off Freedom and boarded Celebrity Century for a back to back cruise. The luchtime food difference was amazing. There were several areas that RCCL is skimping on, that were little differences, but when you add them together...

Where itineraries are the same, and if I can afford the price difference, Celebrity would be my choice. If you read enough comments, alot of people are leaving RCCL. Penny wise and pound foolish!

I loved the Solstice - food exceptional - lots of activities. We also have been recently on Navigator (RCCL) for New Year's eve cruise -- more child/teen activities - about the same for adult activities as Celebrity. But food on RCCL is just good, not great. Service definitely better on Celebrity but fine on RCCL. Just got back from a bargain priced cruise on Celebrity Century -- liked it very much, our 2nd time on the ship. My advice is go for Solstice -- and attitude of crew is different. Ratio of crew to guests is better, too. No pushing of drinks & money-making activities on Celebrity as on RCCL.

My experience with Celebrity was disappointing. I recognize we were on a short cruise on Celebrity's oldest ship [Mercury], but the service in the MDR was absolutely pathetic. Again I recognize I was on an old ship -- but we have been on old Royal ships as well [Monarch, and Splendour (DW has been on Majesty)]. I never felt like the older Royal ships were treated as second class parts of the fleet. I CLEARLY felt that way on Mercury.

Don't let one bad apple spoil the whole bunch. I've been a loyal RCCL cruiser and have tried Celebrity a few times. Century was so-so. I almost didn't go back after my experience on Mercury. It was as you have described, and worse. However, we got a sweet deal to go on Millie and had quite the opposite experience--in fact, she's now my favorite large ship!

As for the OP, if $450 is no big deal for you, then choose Celebrity. If it is, all other things considered, you will have a wonderful time on BOS.

Due to the fact most of your cruises have been on HAL, you would be more comfortable on Celebrity. HAL is upscale as is Celebrity. Service and food quality will more closely match what you have experienced on HAL.

I cruise both lines and have had a great time on both. And can easily reccomend both. Pay the $450 and hope for a price drop

Archived