Royal Caribbean vs Celebrity?

My husband and I are planning a Med cruise for Sept. 2011. We have been on 8 cruises, mostly on Holland. We had decided on Brilliance of the Seas and then read several negative reviews about food and beds. We are also considering Celebrity Solstice. It costs $450 more but may be worth the extra. This is a big expense. Any advice?

Had no complaints at all with Brilliance but that was a couple years ago when they moved it to Europe, just before the dry dock. Bed was wonderful and no complaints at all with the food. Very nice ship. We like Radiance class so much we picked Serenade for the next cruise. Things like the Centrum and glass elevator views, Seaview Cafe, the covered Solarium and the availability of Chops and Portofino really impressed us. Brilliance also has some really nice lounge areas with views.

As far as X vs. RCCL... most if what I have read seems to point to two main differendces. X has more restrictive smoking policies (in case that matters either way) and is more geared to adults than features for kids. I think it might be a touch closer to HAL in that regard. But we've had no issues at all with anything on RCCL as compared to HAL so if Holland is your standard then I don't think you would be disappointed with RCCL. Definitely worth giving a try and saving that much difference. And if you don't like it and switch to Celebrity later your cruise credits will transfer for the lyalty program.

The biggest difference is that X is a much more laid back ship with far fewer kids and outdoor activities. I think the food is excellent on both lines with a slight edge to X. The limited smoking is a big plus for us. Don't think you'll be disappointed in either one. Although we love the Solstice, I'd probably take the less expensive option.

It sounds like you folks would enjoy Celebrity since you frequent Holland.

I love X. Like jd1966 said, they are laid back, classy, a little quieter, but by no means boring! Much emphasis is placed on attention to your needs, and the food is delicious.

We always cruise RCI and have sailed on BOS. She is my favorite ship in the fleet and her pubic areas are really beautiful.

I like the sound of Celebrity very much, but everytime I do a price comparision it is a lot more expensive then RCI and it's hard to justify it as the money can be used instead of excursions, spa trearments, wines/cocktails, extra night before/after cruise in port etc...

The Solstice is a fantastic ship, have sailed her twice and never been disappointed. We love the Aqua class. We are a couple in our mid-fourties and we did not bring our children with us on either time..They might have been a bit bored. We however loved it.

We'll be sailing LOS as our first Royal cruise with the kids this summer and we have booked Oasis for January.

I would say, you have to investigate each ship on it's own, unrelated to cruise line. We sailed the Century in Feb and thought it was awful, so go figure.

Was on Brilliance in Dubai in february. Ship was excellent, service very poor, food just as bad. Went on Celeb Century last november and 100 times better. Food and service outstanding.

Looking at late august east coast USA cruise now.

I have sailed on Century and thought it was not really a big deal. Service was ok, not outstanding. Food was ok but not great. Definitely an older crowd and fewer children. Most of our sea days were spent laying by the pool, there was really not much of an option. There may have been some activities, none that sounded much more fun than laying by the pool. I haven't been on RC yet, but $450 seems like a bit of a difference. Judging from comments, I wouldn't expect RC to be worse than celebrity.

I have been on both Solstice and Brilliance (twice). I sailed Brilliance in January and she's really starting to show her age.

I would pay the extra and sail Solstice!

Alan

We have sailed on the Brilliance and the Millie in Europe. Both cruises were fantastic.

The Brilliance's design offered more views outside, so the visuals as we sailed in and out of different ports was better.

I agree with the above comments about differences between the two lines.

Remember, in Europe you will get fewer children and more adults on any line, so don't let that sway you toward Celebrity: there won't be that many children on either. Families usually cannot afford the cost of European cruises, so it reduces the number of children.

Personally, I would go with the Brilliance and use the extra money for touring to see more on land!!

We just returned from a RCCI cruise of the Baltic - not on the ship you are considering, but the same company.

It was very disappointing. The food was B-A-D (and I liked dorm food in college!). It was served cold to lukewarm;rolls were consistently stale, presentation was pathetic (my prime rib looked like mystery meat); they were unable to honor a simple request for a plate of plain pasta with butter for someone who was having trouble finding something to their liking; room service was unable to produce a bagel for breakfast.

There was also a constant array of activities blatantly designed to get you to spend money on the ship. Yes folks, this is capitalism, but it was downright in your face and tacky.

My friend took a Celebrity cruise the same time as we did. They loved it and did not experience any of the negatives we did.

Had no complaints at all with Brilliance but that was a couple years ago when they moved it to Europe, just before the dry dock. Bed was wonderful and no complaints at all with the food. Very nice ship. We like Radiance class so much we picked Serenade for the next cruise. Things like the Centrum and glass elevator views, Seaview Cafe, the covered Solarium and the availability of Chops and Portofino really impressed us. Brilliance also has some really nice lounge areas with views.

As far as X vs. RCCL... most if what I have read seems to point to two main differendces. X has more restrictive smoking policies (in case that matters either way) and is more geared to adults than features for kids. I think it might be a touch closer to HAL in that regard. But we've had no issues at all with anything on RCCL as compared to HAL so if Holland is your standard then I don't think you would be disappointed with RCCL. Definitely worth giving a try and saving that much difference. And if you don't like it and switch to Celebrity later your cruise credits will transfer for the lyalty program.

My understanding is, you will get all the benefits of, say, diamond status on RCL and Celebrity but cruise credits will not transfer from one company to the other, even though RCL owns both. :confused: My DS is currently on Celebrity and receives diamond status but credits don't count toward his RCL account:(

We just returned from a RCCI cruise of the Baltic - not on the ship you are considering, but the same company.

It was very disappointing. The food was B-A-D (and I liked dorm food in college!). It was served cold to lukewarm;rolls were consistently stale, presentation was pathetic (my prime rib looked like mystery meat); they were unable to honor a simple request for a plate of plain pasta with butter for someone who was having trouble finding something to their liking; room service was unable to produce a bagel for breakfast.

There was also a constant array of activities blatantly designed to get you to spend money on the ship. Yes folks, this is capitalism, but it was downright in your face and tacky.

What RCCL ship were you on? I have never experienced anything this severe on any ship of theirs. I'm not trying to be a cheerleader, but I'd be interested to know which one. I've sailed on RCCL twice to Europe and never had these problems.

My understanding is, you will get all the benefits of, say, diamond status on RCL and Celebrity but cruise credits will not transfer from one company to the other, even though RCL owns both. :confused: My DS is currently on Celebrity and receives diamond status but credits don't count toward his RCL account:(

The LEVEL you are in for either C&A or Captain's Club transfers over, but the additional CRUISE CREDITS you acquire on either line do not add to the credits on the other. So, if you were to achieve Elite status on Celebrity, you would achieve Diamond on RCCL. The credits you acquired on Celebrity to get to Elite would not be additional credits over in the C&A program. That's double-dipping. They recognized each other's levels, not credits.

My experience with Celebrity was disappointing. I recognize we were on a short cruise on Celebrity's oldest ship [Mercury], but the service in the MDR was absolutely pathetic. With the possible exception that there may have been more options, the food was very similar to every other cruise we have been on. The first night we were seated for 30 minutes or so before the waiter even came by. He was woefully slow the whole cruise. He was also singularly unpleasant. I don't recall seeing him smile. The buffet was organized in a way that created long lines and the food was, again, unremarkable. Unlike Royal, on Celebrity you have to ask for the item you want and the person behind the line hands it to you. Unfortunately, when I asked for an item that was posted on the sign, the attendant had no clue what it was. The ship's design [which hopefully will be better on the new ships] created several bottlenecks. The public spaces were closed in compared to the openness of every Royal Caribbean ship I have been on. Even on a smaller ship, it seemed extremely crowded. The activities were similar to Rayal, but not as well done.

Again I recognize I was on an old ship -- but we have been on old Royal ships as well [Monarch, and Splendour (DW has been on Majesty)]. I never felt like the older Royal ships were treated as second class parts of the fleet. I CLEARLY felt that way on Mercury.

I don't want to overstate this -- we had a good time, loved our first visit to the Pacific Northwest, and had a great time with great friends. But I did not see all of the great service and amenities I had been led to expect from Celebrity. It was not as good in those respects as ANY Royal cruise we have taken. I would not pay extra for a similar itinerary on Celebrity.

We have had 28 cruises and they were all just great.

We are now Diamond members on RCCL, however, we prefer Celebrity and the Solstice is now our favorite ship.

We will be on the Constellation in Sept. for a Med cruise....we will be back on the Solstice next month for a Western Carb

Can't wait to cruise.

In my experience (over a dozen on both) if the price is about the same I go for Celebrity for all of the small little touches they still offer....such as the champagne when you board...sorbet by the pool on the Carib cruises...cool cloths and water when returning from ashore...etc.

But I suspect you will enjoy either ship. Only consistent complaint I have heard about the new jumbo ships are the crowds tring to get on and off the ship at the same time. Would be very significant I think if you have to tender anywhere.

Enjoy!!

When doing the Med, the most important thing is the itinerary. If price is an issue, that Carnival new build is a good way to go. We chose Ruby Princess for this July because their Grand Med itinerary (Venice, Athens, Kusadasi, Istanbul, Florence, Rome, Naples, Monte Carlo, Barcelona) was the best I could find and it's a great new ship.

I don't think you will be dissappointed. I have sailed many times on RCCL and only once on Celebrity, but I prefer the latter. We were told by the Hotel Manager that the company intends to turn Celebrity into the more upscale line over RCCL. Unfortunately, I became very ill on the Celebrity cruise and the doctors and medical staff moved heaven and earth to get me the treatment I needed on Antigua. They called my cabin steward to serve me in the medical center and even brought my pillows and duvet while I was required to stay in the medical center. They even provided me with movies while I was taking IV therapy and took me back to my cabin by wheelchair when I was well enough. The doctor said that it was not the cruise I expected, but they would make me as comfortable as possible. They really salvaged my trip.

I'm looking at a T/A and it seems RC has no option to order an in-cabin bar setup or even wines (other than room service or carrying something from a bar), or even a minibar in our choice of cabin.

=X= has all sorts of packages as well as allowing adults to bring a couple of bottles of wine aboard (per cabin that is, mustn't get too daring).

Why don't any of them allow *adults* to buy duty free for consumption on board ? I do not believe it has anything at all to do with safety, it's purely a $$ game.

Pretty pathetic IMHO.

Archived