Things to do in Ocho Rios?

tallnjkris

Just looking mostly for an island tour. I've been to the Dunns River Falls but wondering if the island itself is interesting enough to just take a tour?

We just took the bobsled tour 2 weeks ago and it was a good time.I did a review in the port of calls section.

I have stayed in OR and have done an island tour and it was a tour of how low can poverty go.Away from the city it was just awful. Yes there was some scenery but depending on where you live it might not thrill you.

Steve

Check over on the PORTS board for a recommended independent tour operator if you don't want to go through a Carnival tour.

This isn't a port where I would just walk out and grab a taxi (which we do at most ports).

Last time we were there in Jan 2008, we walked to the The Island Village. Good sidewalks from the ship. You can see it from the port....not a long walk.

Only had a couple of folks ask if we needed a taxi or my hair braided.

This is where Margaritaville is and vendors are not allowed inside .....

Last time we were there in Jan 2008, we walked to the The Island Village. Good sidewalks from the ship. You can see it from the port....not a long walk.

This is where Margaritaville is and vendors are not allowed inside .....

We did this as well... some decent stores to shop in, and we really enjoyed having a drink at Margaritaville. Fun experience!

We went to Ocho Rios June 2009, we did the canopy zip line, I would definitly recommend it, our driver Garfield was great, the zip lines are awesome! and afterward we were even able to get some red stripes (beer) to take on the bus back with us. I did not care to much to walk around, lots of cabs wanting you to get in, people trying to sell you drugs, and cigars and one women wanted to braid my hair and even went as far as trying to grab my hair when I said no.... thats how they get you once they start, you have to pay...

There are tons of jewelry stores there, ther than nick nack type things not much to see other than magaritiaville!

Good luck =)

We also did the Bobsled on Mystic Mountain. There's a lodge at the top with a bar/restaurant, pool, shops that you can enjoy before you get on the bobsled. It's also quiet and peaceful, so you don't have to worry about being harrassed by the locals.

Im not saying that I wouldnt want to go to Jamaica again, but I have to say that I wasnt crazy about Ocho Rios. We did a ship bought tour which was fine. We saw some pretty scenery and nice places and Im glad I did, because if I am ever at Ocho Rios again, I will likely stay aboard the ship and as others have said enjoy a very quiet ship. This was however one of the first and only times I have been to a Caribbean port that I could have done without. I just didnt feel safe there, and even in the shopping area that the ship bought tour dropped us off for 30 mins of shopping, I felt crowded just not comfortable. We docked at a very unattractive pier and there was mayhem while everyone searched, and some just pushed their way forward to look for their tour busses. There is another peir that Carnival docks at but I dont know if there is room for more than one ship, as there was already a Princess ship there and that looked like it might be a better place with lots of shops, restaurants and a small beach area. I might prefer Mo Bay, I dont know, as this was the only time I have been to Jamaica. Sorry but this is JMHO.

We were thinking of doing the zip-lining/river tubing tour. Has anyone done this? I have some issues with messed up discs in my neck. Can I still do the zip-lining or is it really jerky? Also, how is the ride to get there? I hear it is dangerous and scary. Sorry for so many questions :)

We were thinking of doing the zip-lining/river tubing tour. Has anyone done this? I have some issues with messed up discs in my neck. Can I still do the zip-lining or is it really jerky? Also, how is the ride to get there? I hear it is dangerous and scary. Sorry for so many questions :)

The zip lining we did in Ocho Rios was very well done. The "ropes" were metal and the harness seemed very secure - 2 lines attached to the main "rope." There is a bit of a hike to the first platform. It was not jerky or bumpy at all. After the initial adrenalin "shakes" for the first couple of traverses - I did not want to stop :D

I think you have to sign the typical warnings for people with back problems. My husband has had herniated discs and the steroid injections for them. He had no problems. I would check with your doctor to be on the safe side.

The ride to the zip lines was not scary at all, roads are a little tight at times but not like driving on the edge of a cliff or anything :)

LOL! That is the truth! The bus ride up the mountain freaked me out more than the actual zip lining :D

I honestly don't know why people think it's so horrible in Jamaica. We've been there three times and have enjoyed it every time. Just say no to people that want to sell you things and enjoy the island. We did Dunns and the botanical gardens the first time, Margaritaville in Negril the second time with a beach and shopping tour and the beach and Margaritaville in Montego Bay (on our own) the third time. I'm looking forward to going to the 3rd Margaritaville in Ocho Rios. We took our 4 kids the last time and we all had a great time. You have to be smart on any island you go to. Honestly I was more scared in parts of Miami than I was in Jamaica!

There are two zip line tours.

The first has a scary bus ride but the other is brand new.Its located at Mystic mountian about 5 minutes from the ship on OR.

You take a chairlift up and you zipline down about half way where you get back on the chairlift for the ride down.

Steve

There are two zip line tours.

The first has a scary bus ride but the other is brand new.Its located at Mystic mountian about 5 minutes from the ship on OR.

You take a chairlift up and you zipline down about half way where you get back on the chairlift for the ride down.

Steve

Cool, thanks! Do you know if that's the one Carnival offers or if I need to check into it privately? I really want to do the tubing too.

Cool, thanks! Do you know if that's the one Carnival offers or if I need to check into it privately? I really want to do the tubing too.

CCL offers both. I have been to both places.

The one that is 45 minutes away is the scary ride trip up the mountian with a long walk to the zips and a long walk/wait after. I think this is the tubing trip as well.

The trip that is 5 minutes is the sky explorer/bobsled/zipline tour. You can see the chairlift poles from the ship.Its that close.

Steve

Archived