Lanyards, or Not?

tammi67

Hi,

We went to the dollar store and got lanyards with clips on the end. We go to the purser's desk when we first get onboard the ship and have them punch a hole in the cruise card - then we hang the card on the lanyard. The cards are plastic, so they can go in the pool.

I've seen some lanyards which have a clip near the bottom of the cord to clip off the bottom card part, and they also have a "breakaway" top at the back of the neck. I can see the advantages to those, but we just get the regular cords with the metal clip at the bottom.

They also sell some on the ships, if you want a souvenier. Some kids' clubs hand them out as prizes too, but you can't depend on that because its often the last day, and it varies by ship and itinerary.

From about age 11 on, my older DD refused to wear a lanyard because she views them as dorky. My younger DD (now age 9) will wear one, but don't underestimate a kid's ability to lose it nonetheless. Last summer we waited in line for our turn to tender when I suddenly noticed that DD#2 didn't have her lanyard/seapass. She had stopped to use the bathroom several decks up, taken it off for some unknown reason, and left it there. This caused us to have to race back to find it and then try to talk our way (successfully) back to the front of the tender line.

What do your tweens use to carry their Sea Pass cards around in? A lanyard with a plastic sleeve, or one of those waterproof plastic neck cases, or something completely different?

Lanyard clipped directly to the card. Cards can fall out of the ones with plastic sleeves.

Lanyard clipped directly to the card. Cards can fall out of the ones with plastic sleeves.

We have sleeves that are like ziplocs and are both waterproof (we put a small amount of cash in them for when we're in port and shopping and wear it under our shirts) and secure (we also slide a credit card in it and totally eliminate the need for a purse or wallet).

I bought DD one from ebay with dolphin and blue beads on it. DS has a Detroit Pistons one that I got from a local store. I have one from ebay with black and gold beads that I received a lot of compliments on our last cruise. I take a cheap hand held hole punch and punch the card while we are waiting to board. We find the lanyards to be very convenient, however DH sticks to using his wallet.

So if you ask when you check in they will punch a hole in the card for your kids? We will be on the Caribbean Princess in a few days. I don't have a hole puncher at home and don't want to bring one either.

Yes, they will. Go to the purser's desk and they will gladly do it. I've gotten mine done on every cruise. We love the CB--have fun!:)

Thank so much for the info. Hope you enjoy her in July too.:)

Thanks for all the info. So I guess for the kids it will be best just to punch a hole in it and attach the lanyard. For adults, the plastic sleeve works better, so one can put either cash or credit cards in as well.

I agree that the lanyard can look 'dorky' but I use one as well and put in inside my shirt most of the time. This way, even I as an adult, don't lose it or have it stolen. It also means that when I am off of the ship, I have it on my person and not in my bag. My husband favors a bottom pocket on cargo pants. He can button it in and it is not a pocket a pick-pocket could reach.

From about age 11 on, my older DD refused to wear a lanyard because she views them as dorky. My younger DD (now age 9) will wear one, but don't underestimate a kid's ability to lose it nonetheless. Last summer we waited in line for our turn to tender when I suddenly noticed that DD#2 didn't have her lanyard/seapass. She had stopped to use the bathroom several decks up, taken it off for some unknown reason, and left it there. This caused us to have to race back to find it and then try to talk our way (successfully) back to the front of the tender line.

I've seen many of the students in my daughter's middle school wear their student ID in a lanyard. I guess it depends on your child's crowd.

Archived