Regatta - Port of Flam, Norway

jershel

My husband and I will be going on The Route of the Vikings cruise on August 5th with 2 other couples. In Flam, we are going to take the Flam train up the mountain independent of Oceania. The cost is about $53 round trip, which is about 1/3 the cost of Oceania's excursion. Since Oceania has reserved much of the train, there are a limited number of seats available. (I e-mailed the operations manager of the train.) They will take an advance reservation for 10 people. Is anyone interested in joining us?

I also posted this on the Roll Call board for the cruise.

My husband and I will be going on The Route of the Vikings cruise on August 5th with 2 other couples. In Flam, we are going to take the Flam train up the mountain independent of Oceania. The cost is about $53 round trip, which is about 1/3 the cost of Oceania's excursion. Since Oceania has reserved much of the train, there are a limited number of seats available. (I e-mailed the operations manager of the train.) They will take an advance reservation for 10 people. Is anyone interested in joining us?

I also posted this on the Roll Call board for the cruise.

We're not on your cruise but we did an independent trip in Norway and my recollection is that the train runs often. Sometimes you can do best by trying to get on the one before or after a very large tour group. My recollection is also that some cars were "reserved" for groups and other cars were open to individuals. Not sure what your time frame is but some of the ferry boats have half price for spouses and are easy buy on the spot hop on-hop off grab the next one. Check the Rick Steves book for Norway in a Nutshell tours to get ideas.The packages are way more expensive that just buying a ticket for what you want. In Norway the trains, buses, trams run with amazing precision.

Another thing to consider is... make sure you are back in time before the ship moves to the next port

Unless you are also taking the trip to the next port of call.

It only stops in Flam for a few hours then will move to pick up the tour passengers in Gudvangen

Lyn

Thank you for the comments about the train. I have already checked with the operations manager at the railroad who told me the times Oceania has booked their tour, which returns to Flam before the ship leaves for Gudvangen. We will make sure to book a return either before or the same time as the Oceania tour.

Archived