Charleston Hotel Suggestions

klfrodo

I'll admit right off that I'm spoiled.

I'll also admit that when I travel, historic and rustic, are not adjectives that conjure up images of cute and romantic. It usually means (in my experience) a 200 year old building that while having been renovated, still means no or weak AC, very few electrical outlets, small rooms which would make an iside cabin feel like a suite, very small bathrooms, etc,etc.

Travel Lodge, Super 8, and B&B's are out.

Four Seasons is out.

Prefer a hotel that has been built within the past 10 years. Not renovated but built.

Want to tour the historic distric and such but don't need to be in the middle of it.

Won't have a car.

Anyone have suggestions?

We stay at Hampton Inn - Historic District in Charleston. The GM Kevin is super-nice and a friend of ours. Not sure when the hotel was built but definitely not old and rustic. And it is very much within walking distance of some nice restaurants and bars - well, the historic district for that matter.

http://www.hamptoninn.com/en/hp/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=CHSHDHX

Jennifer & Jason

I'll also admit that when I travel, historic and rustic, are not adjectives that conjure up images of cute and romantic. It usually means (in my experience) a 200 year old building that while having been renovated, still means no or weak AC, very few electrical outlets, small rooms which would make an iside cabin feel like a suite, very small bathrooms, etc,etc.

Four Seasons is out.

Prefer a hotel that has been built within the past 10 years. Not renovated but built.

Want to tour the historic distric and such but don't need to be in the middle of it.

Won't have a car.

Anyone have suggestions?

We pretty much stay at historic inns in Charleston but here are a few suggestions:

Charleston Place---maybe 20 years old or so--large convention type hotel that gets very good reviews.

French Quarter Inn 5 years old or so in the middle of the Market.

Market Pavillion 5 years old or so on East Bay and Market deluxe boutique hotel with a great rooftop pool.

All 3 of these properties are in the Market area near the cruise terminal and in the heart of historic Charleston.Better bring your bank book as I doubt you will touch any of these for less than $250 per night.

Hope this helps and enjoy Charleston.

Four Seasons is out.

Won't have a car.

Anyone have suggestions?

You want The Market Pavillion, Planters Inn, or Charleston Place. The CP is the only 'new' building that is downtown. The MP has been gutted and redone as is the PI. Both have soundproof walls that are about a foot thick and you will not hear any street noise or your next door neighbors.

All three are luxury hotels without the 300 year old "charms" of most B&Bs.

Charleston Place it is... Thanks Blue

Make sure you head to the rooftop of the Market Common for cocktails. It is catty corner from your hotel.

Have dinner at The Penninsula in the Planters Inn. Best food in town and coconut cake to die for.

Archived