What gear(rain and fleece jackets, backpacks, etc) to buy for alaska trip?

aznfayeth

I will be going on a 1 week cruise and 1 week land tour in july. I know everybody is saying to bring a rain jacket and fleece jackets for layering instead of a down coat. Is there any specific brands that you recommend? I'm thinking columbia or north face. Is it better to get a 3in1 jacket?

I'm also thinking of buying a backpack instead of bringing my fancier handbags for carryon and excursions. Are the north face backpacks good?

last year was my 4th visit; we rented an RV for 2 weeks and drove around. On cold wet days I was very comfortable wearing a tshirt, fleece pullover and a TOTES rain poncho. I stayed warm and dry. I liked the poncho because it rolled up nicely into a little package so it didn't take up a lot of room. I carried a small back pack so that everything was in one place and I didn't have to worry about leaving something behind; wallet, camera, binoculars, gloves, keys. I attached the poncho to the outside so that it was always there in case I needed it.

We just returned and took hats, mittens, rain ponchos, umbrellas and columbia 3 in 1 coats and never used any of them except for the fleese liners from the coats! Definately underpack rather than overpack as you can easily and inexpensively pick up the fleese vests and jackets in all ports for under $10! You can also get the waterproof jackets with the fleese linings for under $20 in port!

I haven't gone yet but we are bringing Columbia 3-in-1 jackets. We know we may not use the liner but at least we'll have it and we plan to use the outer shell as our main jacket for rain and wind.

As for handbags, my husband will carry our Kipling Hiker Backpack. We always travel with this backpack and it's DH's personal item on the plane. It even has padding for a laptop/netbook if you plan to bring one on the cruise. I'm using the Baggallini Sling Bag as my purse. The fabric is really light-weight, it is the size of a purse, and it has a pouch for a bottle of water. You sling it across your back or chest so it keeps your hand free too. We sprayed both with waterproofing spray so they won't get soaked if it rains.

I am not going until September and I expect we will see rain, maybe a lot of rain, so one thing I really wanted was a rain "suit". I found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00363Z3JQ/ref=oss_product and for $10.00 it was a really good deal. It folds up into a very small package and weighs very little. I bought a large size so I can wear it on top of my clothes.

I would suggest you check nearby thrift and charity stores to see what you can obtain there. It isn't like you are going on foot, overland in a blizzard :) and need the absolutely BEST stuff available, IMHO.

Yes, The North Face makes really good durable stuff. My DH has a backpack of theirs that he's used almost daily for 4 years. It is still in pretty darn good condition. And again MHO, The North Face makes more durable items across the board than Columbia does.

Bought a nylon jacket at the Goodwill for 25 cents (a close-out sale) and sprayed it with waterproofing spray. Bought a fleece jacket that fit under it at the same Goodwill for a buck. Brought a couple of turtlenecks and a set of thermal underwear. Wore it all when cruising glaciers and was glad to have it. Wore only the turtleneck and nylon jacket in the three ports, and ended up taking off the jacket.

Brought a laptop backpack as my personal item on the plane, but didn't feel like carrying it all the time, so brought one of those plastic bags with the shoulder strap cords that they give you when you buy something at the Apple Store. It folded flat into the suitcase, but on shore excursions I carried my wallet, the jacket when I wasn't wearing it, my little camera, and my binoculars in it. Plus, it was waterproof.

I bought a back pack to carry my camera which also has room for my wallet, rain poncho and a jacket in case I don't need to wear one. I like it because it is a sling style. Traditional back packs are not comfortable for me. It has multiple removable inserts for additional lenses, which I will not need. My camera looks like the one in the picture without the extra lenses as it is a fancy P&S, not a DSLR. Here is the back pack:

http://www.canogacamera.com/detail.aspx?ID=11834

I got mine at Costco a while ago for $60. I saw it today at Best Buy for $80. I will not be taking a camera bag as this pack has a padded camera section on top and room for all my accessories, too.

For a rain coat I finally settled on a Anorak jacket with a zip-out fleece lining. As a plus size woman I was having a lot of trouble finding an appropriate jacket that did not cost a fortune. I just do not need a rain coat here in AZ, but this one looks to be versatile enough that I may wear it quite a bit. Here it is:

http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Anorak-plus-size-jacket-by-Weather-Solutions.aspx?PfId=17086&DeptId=11577&ProductTypeId=1#CustomersReviews

I found a rip-stop nylon poncho in the sporting goods department at Wal-Mart for $3.88. All together, I think I am good! I will also bring a fleece zippered sweatshirt or two. I have long sleeve, 3/4 length sleeve and short sleeve shirts and jeans will be my basics.

It is really hard not to overpack when you have no idea what the weather will be like....then there are evenings on the ship and elegant nights, too!:eek:

It is really hard not to overpack when you have no idea what the weather will be like....then there are evenings on the ship and elegant nights, too!:eek:

I absolutely agree. This trip has been by far the hardest to pack for and the most costly for buying new clothes!

I'd also rather overpack and have options during the trip than freeze! I'll pay the $15 for check-in luggage any day than freeze my butt off. :D

Please remember that if you are wearing rain gear during any physical activity, you're going to sweat ... and then you'll feel clammy and uncomfortable. Ideally rain gear would be GoreTex but that's pricey ... so if you're going to participating in any hiking or other physical activity in wet weather, look for something with ventilation (like pit-zips). Some gear stores have their own version of GoreTex for their store brands.

Look at places like Campmor or Sierra Trading Post for last year's models, you can usually get the item a bit cheaper.

We wear Marmot PreCip rain jackets ... very light and roll/fold up into a very small bundle. They also have rain pants (we have other brands that we purchased on sale elsewhere). I have heard good things about Frogg Togs.

I am not very impressed with Columbia's rain gear ... from personal experience.

If you're not going to be really active in wet weather, then ponchos or something similar are going to be fine. And when you spray your coat with waterproofing, you're closing the pores in the fabric so not only will you keep the rain/water out, you'll keep the water you're expiring in. :D

Please remember that if you are wearing rain gear during any physical activity, you're going to sweat ... and then you'll feel clammy and uncomfortable. Ideally rain gear would be GoreTex but that's pricey ... so if you're going to participating in any hiking or other physical activity in wet weather, look for something with ventilation (like pit-zips). Some gear stores have their own version of GoreTex for their store brands.

Look at places like Campmor or Sierra Trading Post for last year's models, you can usually get the item a bit cheaper.

We wear Marmot PreCip rain jackets ... very light and roll/fold up into a very small bundle. They also have rain pants (we have other brands that we purchased on sale elsewhere). I have heard good things about Frogg Togs.

I am not very impressed with Columbia's rain gear ... from personal experience.

If you're not going to be really active in wet weather, then ponchos or something similar are going to be fine. And when you spray your coat with waterproofing, you're closing the pores in the fabric so not only will you keep the rain/water out, you'll keep the water you're expiring in. :D

The most active I will be is on a less than a mile walk (not a real hike) at Mendenhall on the photo Safari, so I think I will be fine.;) I can see how people who are more serious outdoor types would benefit from the more expensive rain gear.

I will be going on a 1 week cruise and 1 week land tour in july. I know everybody is saying to bring a rain jacket and fleece jackets for layering instead of a down coat. Is there any specific brands that you recommend? I'm thinking columbia or north face. Is it better to get a 3in1 jacket?

I'm also thinking of buying a backpack instead of bringing my fancier handbags for carryon and excursions. Are the north face backpacks good?

I am not sure that brand names are that important but something that is Gore-tex or a knockoff (Gore-tex is no longer protected by patent) is a good idea. What I would advise is not to buy a jacket that has a sewn in lining ..nothing is worse than trying to dry a lined jacket in a small cruise ship bathroom. Remember also that you are sailing into one of the better times of the year from a weather point of view, you may have some rain but it is not going to be cold.

I am not going until September and I expect we will see rain, maybe a lot of rain, so one thing I really wanted was a rain "suit". I found this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00363Z3JQ/ref=oss_product and for $10.00 it was a really good deal. It folds up into a very small package and weighs very little. I bought a large size so I can wear it on top of my clothes.

If it is like when we were there the 2nd week of September 2007, take some warm clothes, mittens and hat, it was very cold and with the wind chill, it was that much colder, especially in Skagway.

Archived