Running/Jogging in port

jhowdy

Any runners with experience getting their daily workouts in while in port? I would really like to get some miles in at each port as opposed to treadmills or the mini track on board. Any suggested trails or routes that you have done? We are on HAL and will be stopping in Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway.

Thank you for any suggestions.

There’s a nice run in Ketchikan that I’ve done twice while on cruises that stopped there. You basically just head south out of town past the Coast Guard Base towards Saxman, along the road. There’s a nice sidewalk/path. It’s a beautiful run as it parallels the water. Be bear aware and think twice about running on trails through the woods.

Just need to be faster than the BEARS :eek: :D

There’s a nice run in Ketchikan that I’ve done twice while on cruises that stopped there. You basically just head south out of town past the Coast Guard Base towards Saxman, along the road. There’s a nice sidewalk/path. It’s a beautiful run as it parallels the water. Be bear aware and think twice about running on trails through the woods.

Be aware when you run in Alaskan ports that if you go off the beaten path or even down a side street you could see all kinds of animals you might not want to see at the moment and viceversa lol. Just be aware, carry a cell phone, in Alaska its 911 and just be aware you are not in an average town/city/naighborhood.

Adri :)

Downtown Juneau by the docks is the only flat bit but it's way too crowded and not long enough for 'miles' of running. The easiest thing to do is go right as you stand with your back to the water/your ship and run out Thane Road. It's got minimal traffic, a slightly rolling topography and great views. Once you pass Taku Smokery, all the tourist buildings are gone and you can run pretty unobstructed.

Great advice on the trails and bears everyone, I'll leave the trail shoes at home. :)

Chilkoot - That does look like the way to go in Ketchikan, thanks.

tee_harbor - Thane Road looks perfect and it appears I can get a good bit of distance in if I go all the way to the point on the nice out and back, great.

Archived