CCL Triumph v NCL Spirit NOLA Western Carib.

igo2travel

I'm trying to plan a western carribbean trip out of New Orleans around Jazz Fest next year. Sounds fun, doesn't it? The Triumph is a Saturday cruise and the Spirit is a Sunday cruise. Both will allow for a couple Jazz Fest days before or after the cruise. Would anyone who has sailed on both share any suggestions/comments/concerns to help me in this decision. Thank you.

I haven't sailed on both but I have sailed the Spirit out of NOLA and we absolutely loved that ship! The decor is so different from the other NCL ships; it was peaceful but not "dead" and we would go on her again in a heartbeat. The staff, the food, nothing at all to complain about except we were stuck in Costa Maya till 4 am due to weather we were told.

One other selling point to the Spirit versus the Triumph is that the Spirit goes to Costa Maya, so it's one more port than Triumph. I've already been to Cozumel, but it'll be fun to have another new port to see.

I have been on both and my vote definately is for the spirit. But then again, my time on carnival triumph was not good and on ncl spirit, I was very happy. Others on the ship were not so it really is a personal choice. Food is better IMHO on carnival, but the service sucks (again IMHO) I believe they are similar in age and size, but i think spirit is in much better shape. cabins are smaller though.

We sailed on the Spirit in 08 and 09 out of New Orleans and loved it! Last March 2010 we tried the Triumph out of New Orleans because we wanted to go to Key West. Not a bad trip, but overall we were disappointed. When we were in Nassau a Norwegian ship was docked beside us and we both knew we were on the wrong ship for us.

I'm really not knocking Triumph and I know it is a favorite for many. But come 2011 we will be back on the Spirit.

Enjoy your cruise!

Like the previous poster, we've been on the Spirit twice and the Triumph once.

I liked both but I liked the Spirit more. The Spirit is a 'one of a kind' and a really beautiful ship.

Good luck.

I like both cruise lines. Both have their good and not so good points. If you've never sailed NCL before, it is a totally different style. We prefer the traditional style that Carnival offers however we totally enjoyed our cruise on the Spirit.

I would vote for the Spirit 1. Gives you all of Saturday to enjoy New Orleans. 2.) The ports on NCL include Costa Maya

We took advantage of the Freestyle cruising on the Spirit. We didn't rush to get ready for meals, we didn't get super dressed up and we were totally relaxed at the end of our trip.

You most likely will enjoy either ship but I'd think twice about giving up a Saturday night in New Orleans....

One other selling point to the Spirit versus the Triumph is that the Spirit goes to Costa Maya, so it's one more port than Triumph. I've already been to Cozumel, but it'll be fun to have another new port to see.

And Costa Maya is an outstanding port in my opinion. It's my favorite in the Caribbean. $3 per person will get you to the beach in Mahahual where you can get an hour massage for $20, food, drink, waiter service all right on the beach.

NCLJewell04-04-10172.jpg

So I've made up my mind. Thanks for all the input, everyone. I'm going to go with the Spirit for the following reasons:

1) Difference in cost is nominal

2) Spirit offers an extra port over Triumph

3) I'll be able to do two days of Jazz Fest pre-cruise and one day post-cruise.

4) We're cruising Carnival this December and will be able to do our own comparison for future sailings.

Oh what fun it is to plan!

It will be May 1st, 2011. I haven't booked yet. Just doing the research. I'll book soon, though. Have fun on your Valentine's cruise. We're doing a Christmas cruise this year, which will be fun and weird, I'm sure, at the same time.

Thanks for the good wishes. I hope your May cruise is fantastic. Our cruise buddies, who are accompanying us on the February cruise on the Spirit, have sailed her at least twice. The Spirit is their favorite ship, and they are very excited that the itinerary includes Costa Maya and Roatan. It sounds like you have settled on the Spirit. I think you'll have fun.

You will love the Spirit. Will be making my second trip on her this November. The boat has a wonderful promenade that allows you to walk around the whole deck, this is great for exercise and to burn off those extra calories. A friend at work will be going on the NCL Epic in Oct. They wanted me to go but I don't want the long drive from Alabama to Miami. Also the Epic is too big for my liking. Kind of prefer to have a smaller boat so that you feel more at home and not fighting too many crowds.

I am like you and prefer the extra ports. That is one of my reasons for picking NCL. Also like to visit Belize for the snorkeling.

You will have fun.

Archived