Walking sticks/seat canes

montu6

I've read how wonderful walking sticks and seat canes can be for tours on river cruises. Because of some medical issues this sounds like a sollution to my problem. I can sit instead of standing during the guide explanations. We are going on AMA and I plan on signing up for their easy tours.

I do have some questions for people who have used them:

(1) The tripod ones look more secure for a Klutz like me. Are they too bulky to handle while walking?

(2) Any problems taking on airplanes? Do they count as your personal item? Any problems going through security?

(3) Any problems taking them on the buses?

(4) Are the wood or metal better? Why?

(5) Advantages, problems, advice?

(6) Do you have to check them in museums?

Thanks for the advice. We are going on the Paris to Amsterdam Amalegro in Nov. It will be my DH first river cruise. I went on the Viking Holland cruise a number of years back. I can't wait!

Hi, am one of the avid fans of the cane seat. Here are my thoughts and answers

1. no. 2 no problem they fit in a 31 in suitcase and go as checked luggage. Have taken them on board--not a personal item. 3 no.

4. metal weigh less. 5. we find them very useful even while wlaking on cobblestones. 6. no.

We bought ours at Dick's sporting goods in the camping gear section. My husband cut off about an inch to make them fit in our checked baggage. This trip tomorrow to Greece, I'll take mine on board, because we're using smaller bags, don't expect any problems. Neither of us stand for long periods of time anymore, so they are wonderful to have along. Pat

... I do have some questions for people who have used them:

(1) The tripod ones look more secure for a Klutz like me. Are they too bulky to handle while walking?

(2) Any problems taking on airplanes? Do they count as your personal item? Any problems going through security?

(3) Any problems taking them on the buses?

(4) Are the wood or metal better? Why?

(5) Advantages, problems, advice?

(6) Do you have to check them in museums?

We took a river cruise last September/October (09) and DH took a collapsible cane with him on our excursions. (His cane seat had a nice vacation too - remaining in the cabin the entire trip!) So, here's my feedback:

1) not bulky to handle but they are HARD after a few minutes (if you don't have any extra padding... if you know what I mean). The other problem I see with them is that canes should be customized by adjusting the legs depending on your height. We have the Magellan's cane and haven't figured out a way to do that.

2) no problems taking them on the plane. They fit in the overhead just fine and Delta does not count canes a personal item against your allowance. Put them through the scanner at the airport security check and they come out the other side; if you need help getting through the doorway without the cane, let the TSA rep know ahead of time.

3) No problem taking them on the buses either.

4) Metal will scratch and wood will nick/scratch. Personal preference - if you can find wood with a seat I'd be surprised. I assume wood would be heavier if getting the kind with a seat.

5) Seems like there was always a wall to lean against or a step to sit on when we stopped and seems like we never stopped for any long period of time - well except for the Abbey in Melk. (We leaned against the wall.) At any time we could "sit out" the rest of our walk; another couple did that when we went to Prague Castle - they just waited for us to do the rounds and we all walked back to the bus together. On our tours, we were often - but not always - allowed to stay on the bus... depending on where the bus was going once it dropped us off.

Additional advice, I strongly urge you to go to a local medical supply store and check out the seat canes before buying one online as it's possible the cane height could be too short or too long for your height. If they don't measure you for the cane, ask them to (or walk out and find another business that will).

6) We have not had to check our cane anywhere.

Although DH used the collapsible cane, we never did collapse it. Realized after we returned that this cane was too small for DH - not enough grip area for his big hand so he now has a much better-fitting cane. In fact, being one that didn't want a cane and fighting its necessity the whole time, when he got one that was the proper "fit" he commented, "I'm so happy with my new cane!" (I just about passed out!) :rolleyes:

If you want, PM me with your location; if feasible and the timing works out, you can use our seat cane rather than purchase one for this trip as it's just collecting dust anyway!

Hope this helps!

Thanks USAVVY2 for all of the info and advice. I was able to find a wood cane seat. The weight is 2 pounds as opposed to 28 ounces for metal. I really hadn't thought about sizing a cane or the shape of the handle. There is a wealth of information on the web about proper fit. It is a lot more involved than I thought.

It was very kind of you to offer to lend me your seat. I think I will purchase one. Most people seem to really like them and there are a number of places I can use it. You answered my questions about the logistics of travelling with the cane on planes, buses and museums. You can always count on people from CC to give great advice. Have a great day and happy travels!

Carol

• 1 month later...

Just read your question about canes and cane seats. We just came back from a Viking Danube cruise and I bought and used my first rolling walker with the attached seat. The airlines either let me take it onboard and put in their closet or gate checked it and it was there when we deplaned. I didn't need to use it while on the cruise ship but used it every day while touring. It only weighs about 10lbs so it was easy to fold us and store under the tour buses. What a relief to have something to sit on while the tour guides gave their talks. I bounced over some cobblestones but it was the best thing I've ever bought as I didn't miss a thing.

Hope this helps and you really enjoy your holiday.:)

We have traveled extensively with a Travel chair. The one we got was from eBay and you want the one with the three settings of length. The legs come apart and will fit in a carry on. The chair is canvass and is very comfortable. We added a carrying strap, and I just carry it over my shoulder. It is very light and is not a bulky as those cane chairs.

We have only been questioned once by some TSA person feeling their oats, but all you have to say is ADA. American Disability Act.

Archived