Visa to Russia?

Kellie Poodle

WOW, so nice to be able to get valuable info from others who have experienced cruise stuff!!!!

We have a trip thru Russia in the plans for 2012 or 2013. I had read that the Russian visa process is a PITB (Pain In The Booty).

***Any hints on how to file some of these threads, for future reference?

Wishing all wonderful and safe travels!

Thanks,

Carol

To file for future reference, you can either cut and paste into a word document or just storre the URL's for those of interest.

Just a suggestion, we went with Grand Circle and did the prre-trip to Kiev, flew to Moscow and sailed to St. Petersburg. I think this is the best way to do it. This way you are going the same direction as the history goes. The capital started in Kiev, moved to Moscow then St. Petersburg and back to Moscow about 100 years ago.

To file for future reference, you can either cut and paste into a word document or just storre the URL's for those of interest.

Just a suggestion, we went with Grand Circle and did the prre-trip to Kiev, flew to Moscow and sailed to St. Petersburg. I think this is the best way to do it. This way you are going the same direction as the history goes. The capital started in Kiev, moved to Moscow then St. Petersburg and back to Moscow about 100 years ago.

That sounds like a great plan. Unfortunately we didn't have the option of a pre-trip from AMA. We thought about traveling on our own, but the inability to read or speak Russian and the scary visa process was a bit much for me. We're flying in for the cruise and using the cruise line for transfers. Same thing with going home.

I think if there is someplace we'd want to spend more time at it would be St. Petersburg and we have thoughts of a Scandinavian cruise in the future with a possible stop there.

• 5 weeks later...

Uniworld uses ZVS also and I just downloaded the instructions and forms to have them ready to fill out. It is so confusing. I think I will either call ZVS and/or go to my T/A for help. I certainly don't want to screw this up.

Kelli Poodle, I have seen your post and we have very similar questions and thoughts about russian travel. It is almost scary, partly because of the language and signs but I am determined to trust in the guides and have a great time. I will be looking for your posts. We sail on the Victoria 6/13 thru 6/25. I'll wave at you from our ship somewhere on the lake!

Uniworld uses ZVS also and I just downloaded the instructions and forms to have them ready to fill out. It is so confusing. I think I will either call ZVS and/or go to my T/A for help. I certainly don't want to screw this up.

Kelli Poodle, I have seen your post and we have very similar questions and thoughts about russian travel. It is almost scary, partly because of the language and signs but I am determined to trust in the guides and have a great time. I will be looking for your posts. We sail on the Victoria 6/13 thru 6/25. I'll wave at you from our ship somewhere on the lake!

I f I would have waited a little longer until Uniworld announced their ship, we could have been sailing with you! We are past cruisers with Uniworld and loved the line. We here AMA is just as good, and has a plus in that it uses the canal boats back to the boat from Moscow so it saves a bus trip.

Are you leaving from Moscow or St. Petersburg?

I successfully completed the Russian visa application this past summer. If I can help with any of the question, let me know & I will try.

Paul,

Thank you for your offer. can you please provide me with your email address. Mine is kelliepoodle at yahoo dot com

• 3 weeks later...

Even tho your not booked on uniworld you can still go to their site click on "before you go" then "Visas" then ZVS web site pops up. It will give you about 7 pages of info some help with questions like work history/retired and what they are looking for. Hope this helps and have fun.

3 months ago, I had considered learning a bit of Russian in preparation for the river cruise. My sister made me a copy of a "Conversational Russian" audio CD that she borrowed from her library and I perused several books. Suffice it to say that I gave up on that thought.

It's difficult enough trying to learn a different language but when you have to factor in an entirely different alphabet, it's way too much of a challenge...

Archived