Oceania to the Amazon?

Cinder Again

Ah ... a woman of my own heart. :):)

I always pack make-up extras from GWP promos if we're traveling to developing countries. Lipstick can be a powerful negotiating tool in the markets, where many a seller is a young woman eager for the spoils or a young man hoping to impress the ladies with them! I've successfully bartered with lipstick, skin care samples & perfume for items such as Nepalese hand-make paper, Indian spices, African baskets & other treasures. It's fun & profitable for all involved!

LOL Great minds think alike. The young women really appreciate any goodies from our part of the world. I wish I had brought more so Good idea when I go to Africa next year. I soon realized that the money they get from picture taking goes directly to Mom or Dad. Sad they are somewhat exploited, so it gave me great pleasure to give them something they could have for themselves and a few $$ for the parents. :)

Was the day you attended the folk show abnormally cool. Others have said it was unpleasantly hot and humid after a 1/2 hour and the enjoyment quickly faded. Was it just that they were overly sensitive to the heat?

It's hot and humid anywhere except an air-conditioned space when you are just a couple of degrees off the equator. Perhaps because I live in Florida year-round, and work outside most of the day maintaining our acreage, that I am accustomed to the heat and humidity and dismiss it. Being misers, we keep our house at about 83 degrees in the Summer and keep the paddle fans turning, primarily to reduce the humidity. After almost 40 years in Florida it's just not much of an issue for me.

The point, however, is that on any excursion, anywhere on the Amazon, on any means of conveyance, even an air-conditioned taxi or bus, the moment you step outside you will be hot and humid. The show at Parintins is better than most venues because it has a metal roof that reflects heat, and there is cross ventilation (there are no doors) that helps with humidity. I perspired much more on a bus tour in Santarem than I did in the amphitheater in Parintins.

On our cruise to the Amazon in 2006, cruise director David Peterson collected money from the crew to buy toys and sports equipment for the native villagers in Boca de Valeria and a nearby village, and dressed as Santa Claus to deliver the goodies. If you want to talk about hot and humid, ask him about climbing the hill along the riverbank in full Santa Claus regalia to visit the neighboring village.

We were much hotter on our walk to the theater stadium in Parintins, and were able to cool off during the performance. The more incredible thing was that the band play loudly, quickly and continuously through the entire performance and their infectious enthusiasm never flagged. The energy of the dancers, the giant float-like props, the costumes and the music were all min-boggling. It was likely the best folkloric performance we've ever seen on any excursion.

yellow fever is required by oceania and is totally unnecessary and just an added expense. avoid the expense and get a note from your physician that it is medically contraindicated for you. they did however never look for the either the vaccination certificate nor the exemption note..the cruise itself, as done this past year was wonderful, and other than the thousands of insects on the deck at night which made outside functions difficult it was great. several of the towns dont require tours as there is absolutely nothing worth noting other than the pure simplicity of life there. Manaus is worthwhile and definitely requires a visit to the opera house and to some of the older neighborhoods wtih decaying mansions. easily done on foot from the dock... Enjoy

Archived