Oceania to the Amazon?

Cinder Again

I just started looking at an Amazon cruise for November, 2010 on the Regatta... has anyone done that cruise, and have advice for me, regarding the ports? Did anyone hire private vendors for tours, etc? If anyone has someone they can recommend, you can send it to: kathim3147ataol.com Thanks in advance.

Hi,

My husband and I are booked on the Nov. 27th sailing but are just now getting together a list of possible private tour options for each port. My husband is a birdwatcher and is hoping to find at least a few port tours aimed in that direction. Oceania says they post their own shore ex 150 days before sailing so we should see ideas from them as well, but personally I prefer private tours if I can find something realiable and good.

I'll write to you and post on our roll call page as soon as I have more details.

We are in the process of putting together private tours in the Amazon but not for birding. For us they are focused to get behind the scenes of the locals to try and appreciate local customs and often different cultures from one village to the next. We will end up spending two or three times what the cruise excursions cost but come away with memories that are lasting rather than pictures of shrines, churches, etc. We are not soliciting many additional cruisers to join us more than maybe 3-4 but the cost will likely be $300+/person in Santarem and Mabaus for a 5.5-6 hour expeditionin santarem and a 7-8 hr, excursion in Manaus leaving enough time not to miss the Regatta leaving the port.Since we are avid snorkels we have chartered boats in Tobago, Dominica, T&C and a great sail we have done before on a 42ft. sailboat that takes a max of 10 in the Barbados for a snorkel and sail instead of a hoard of people on an excursion party boat type of outing.

We did post on "Port of Call" Thank You.:)

Also post in the Roll Call ....that is where you will meet your fellow passengers to share info & tours with

Just click on the link in the above message;)

Enjoy the cruise

lyn

We did it in 2006, great cruise. In most of the Caribbean ports, we simply walked ashore and explored on our own. The one exception was St.Lucia, where we took a 7 hour ship's tour that covered the entire island, stopped in a native fishing village, included a fantastic botanical garden, provided lunch in an old sugar mill, and took us to the hear of a still-smoking volcano.

On the Amazon, we took a ship's tour in Santarem which was not great. We loved the Indian village at Boca del Valeria -- take some useful gifts for the kids, such as school supplies -- we made up sewing kits from the Dollar Store supplies, and they were very popular. Have plenty of $1 bills for the kids who will guide you and those who pose in authentic costume. You won't mind slipping them the cash, unless your are Scrooge...

In Manaus, we walked to the Opera House and immersed ourselves in the city on day 1. On day 2, we signed up for the ship's tour called Meeting of the Waters, but the real highlight was small motorized canoes to the backwaters of the Rio Negro and the giant lily pads.

Heading back down the Amazon, don't miss the Boi Bumba show in Parintins. You can walk to the show, but you might want to take one of the ubiquitous pedicabs.

The best stop was Devil's Island, where you explore on your own.

We did it in 2006, great cruise. In most of the Caribbean ports, we simply walked ashore and explored on our own. The one exception was St.Lucia, where we took a 7 hour ship's tour that covered the entire island, stopped in a native fishing village, included a fantastic botanical garden, provided lunch in an old sugar mill, and took us to the hear of a still-smoking volcano.

On the Amazon, we took a ship's tour in Santarem which was not great. We loved the Indian village at Boca del Valeria -- take some useful gifts for the kids, such as school supplies -- we made up sewing kits from the Dollar Store supplies, and they were very popular. Have plenty of $1 bills for the kids who will guide you and those who pose in authentic costume. You won't mind slipping them the cash, unless your are Scrooge...

In Manaus, we walked to the Opera House and immersed ourselves in the city on day 1. On day 2, we signed up for the ship's tour called Meeting of the Waters, but the real highlight was small motorized canoes to the backwaters of the Rio Negro and the giant lily pads.

Heading back down the Amazon, don't miss the Boi Bumba show in Parintins. You can walk to the show, but you might want to take one of the ubiquitous pedicabs.

The best stop was Devil's Island, where you explore on your own.

Don,

That pretty much sums it up. We did this on a Princess and did just about all the same things (except St. Lucia)

Dons advice about bringing gifts was the best thing we did..the kids (and parents) loved them. the 99Cent store was perfect we spent about $50 and bought things that kids love..

Thanks again Don!!

Jancruz1

Remember, as Jan says, useful things -- not candy or junk food -- the sort of things you would buy if your grandchildren were ideal -- nothing extravagant -- colored pencils, notebooks, glue sticks, simple school supplies -- the sorts of things you won't find in a riverbank community hundreds of miles from anywhere. I guarantee you will have at least one cute kid take your hand to be your "guide", but if you have stuff you haven;t gotten rid of any other way, leave them in the one-room school.

I just started looking at an Amazon cruise for November, 2010 on the Regatta... has anyone done that cruise, and have advice for me, regarding the ports? Did anyone hire private vendors for tours, etc? If anyone has someone they can recommend, you can send it to: kathim3147ataol.com Thanks in advance.

Kathim I tried to contact you about my plans in the Amazon but the email address did not go through.

kathim3147@aol.com

Harrttravels

ester e; My guide for the Santarem excursion tells me on the boat portion of our trip in the flood plain particularly there are quite a number of bird species. Though we are not going hunting for them and we now are 4 of a tour with 8 maximun if you are interested let me know. It will be 6 hours and will probably end up costing $300/person but we will see a number of native animals, dolphins, water buffulos, caymans and stop at 2-3 riveer villagez to interact with the locals. srkase@optonline.net

My itinerary is 50+% complete (I have been to the city for 3 days in 1881 so the trip I am planning is more adventurous and different) for a similar but somewhat different outing the first day in Manuas. The city is worthy of a taxi tour of 2.5 hous-4 hrs, max,, IMO , The 2 stops between Santarem and Manaus are basically just so they do not have to list them as cruise days. Though the Folk Show at Paritins is well done they list it at 1 anf 3/4 hrs. other travelers say it runs nearly 3 hours and if the heat and humidity are high the ship may be ther best place for entertainment.

ester e; My guide for the Santarem excursion tells me on the boat portion of our trip in the flood plain particularly there are quite a number of bird species. Though we are not going hunting for them and we now are 4 of a tour with 8 maximun if you are interested let me know. It will be 6 hours and will probably end up costing $300/person but we will see a number of native animals, dolphins, water buffulos, caymans and stop at 2-3 riveer villagez to interact with the locals. srkase@optonline.net

My itinerary is 50+% complete (I have been to the city for 3 days in 1881 so the trip I am planning is more adventurous and different) for a similar but somewhat different outing the first day in Manuas. The city is worthy of a taxi tour of 2.5 hous-4 hrs, max,, IMO , The 2 stops between Santarem and Manaus are basically just so they do not have to list them as cruise days. Though the Folk Show at Paritins is well done they list it at 1 anf 3/4 hrs. other travelers say it runs nearly 3 hours and if the heat and humidity are high the ship may be ther best place for entertainment.

eester; Obviously i meant I was in Manaus in 1991, actually at age 68, it might have been 1992, but I just wanted to correct myself so you did not think I was in outer space.. It may be "older-space". I now have the finalized itinerary and 2 other couples that are committed and thew maximum for the excursion to be done the way my wife and I want is 8

Stan.

... IMO , The 2 stops between Santarem and Manaus are basically just so they do not have to list them as cruise days. Though the Folk Show at Paritins is well done they list it at 1 anf 3/4 hrs. other travelers say it runs nearly 3 hours and if the heat and humidity are high the ship may be ther best place for entertainment.

The stop at Boca del Valaria, the Indian village, is a highlight of the river portion of the cruise for many. Obviously, not every stop fits everyone's cup of tea.

The show at Parintins is in a 2 story roofed amphitheater; you are not out in the sun. It is not airconditioned, but it is well vented and well shaded and most folks will not be uncomfortable. Again, it is a "don't miss" for most passengers. We walked, and got there later, and were relegated to the balcony. That has its advantages, but I think most would be happier to get there early and get a front row seat on the first floor. The "tour" is for the tickets to the show itself; it does not include transportation to get there (about 8 to 10 blocks from the pier). the fastest and most convenient way to get there is by pedicab, about $2 if I remember correctly. Being stubborn and miserly, I insisted on walking to the stadium, but I learned my lesson and we cabbed back.

From the Parintins show:

paintins1.jpg.a25fd5e1d777622876f46879d38494e0.jpg

parintins2.jpg.8c8453268b9b4683805cfb1a2cfae368.jpg

If you are looking for a day tour in Manaus that is out of the ordinary - we did one with a private guide that made our whole trip!! He took us about 2 hours upriver to swim with the pink dolphins -actually got to feed them!. Then we went to a beautiful white sand beach for a dip in the river. Next up was lunch at a family "farm". They cooked up piranha and chicken along with rice and "manioc" spaghetti,a piranha soup ,corn, and fresh watermelons. They even opened up Brazil nuts from their own tree! After the noon time shower, we stopped at an ecological reserve for a traditional dance by the local inhabitants. It was a great day!! If you want the email address for the tour guide, just drop me an email at wallis_cathiathotmail.com.

Remember, as Jan says, useful things -- not candy or junk food -- the sort of things you would buy if your grandchildren were ideal -- nothing extravagant -- colored pencils, notebooks, glue sticks, simple school supplies -- the sorts of things you won't find in a riverbank community hundreds of miles from anywhere. I guarantee you will have at least one cute kid take your hand to be your "guide", but if you have stuff you haven;t gotten rid of any other way, leave them in the one-room school.

During my trip there last November, I brought lipsticks and eye shadows I get from department store promotions and other make up as there are teenagers who also don costumes for the ships arrival like the youngsters. I also brought hair ties, etc. They were excited to receive them.

During my trip there last November, I brought lipsticks and eye shadows I get from department store promotions and other make up as there are teenagers who also don costumes for the ships arrival like the youngsters.
Ah ... a woman of my own heart. :):)

I always pack make-up extras from GWP promos if we're traveling to developing countries. Lipstick can be a powerful negotiating tool in the markets, where many a seller is a young woman eager for the spoils or a young man hoping to impress the ladies with them! I've successfully bartered with lipstick, skin care samples & perfume for items such as Nepalese hand-make paper, Indian spices, African baskets & other treasures. It's fun & profitable for all involved!

Was the day you attended the folk show abnormally cool. Others have said it was unpleasantly hot and humid after a 1/2 hour and the enjoyment quickly faded. Was it just that they were overly sensitive to the heat?

It was very hot and humid.

Archived