More Land Tour ?s/Homer

kdillon1956

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. After reading so many wonderful plans, I'm making some changes to mine. Here is my latest plan. Those of you who have been to Alaska, please let me know if I am allowing enough time to enjoy the scenery and everything offered:

Day 1, 6-10 -- arrive Seward; take Kenai Fjords full-day tour; overnight in Seward.

Day 2 6-11-- Homer Stage Line bus from Seward to Homer (leaves Seward at 3 p.m., arrives Homer at 7p). Overnight in Homer.

Day 3 6-12 -- Bear-viewing trip with Emerald Air; overnight in Homer.

Day 4 6-13 Bus to Seward (depart Homer at 9a, arrive at 1:30 p.m.; sightsee until train departs for Anchorage) overnight in Anchorage

Day 5 6-14 -- pick up rental car in Anc, drive to Talkeetna with stops along the way (Eklutna, Eagle Nature Center, Hatcher Pass, etc). Flightsee in Talkeetna either today or Day 6) & overnight

Day 6 6- 15 -- Possibly flightsee today, Drive to Denali; sightsee; overnight in Healy

Day 7 6-16 -- 6 a.m. shuttle to Eilson; sightsee; overnight in Healy)

Day 8 6-17 -- Leisurely drive to Anchorage; overnight

Day 9 6-18 -- a.m. sightseeing; return rental car; depart Anc in late afternoon for home

The arrival in Seward and the 6/18 departure from Anchorage are fixed. My interests are wildlife, nature & sightseeing. I'm trying to be somewhat cost-conscious so I can afford the expensive excursions! I'm not sure though if saving $$$ by taking bus or train will be worth it because I will lose flexibility if I have a rental car. At one point earlier I was considering Valdez but I think Homer is more appealing. Very interested in bears.

Looking forward to feedback! THanks very much!

I responded on the Fodors board, but Homer is no place to be without a car so no I do not recommend a bus between Seward and Homer, also with your timeframe I would not backtrack a day to Seward, and drive directly to Anchorage from Homer. Rent the costly Hertz Seward- Anchorage car for only as long as you need it. Then rent a cheaper round trip Anchorage car. For clarification- Eielson is closed this year, you'll want the shuttle to Fish Creek. Verify the bear sighting stats and choose carefully in Homer. Some "tours" are extremely basic- meaning you carry EVERYTHING in and out.

Thank you very much BQ for the info/suggestions on this board and on the Fodors site. A question: Hertz is charging $75 a day for a basic rental. I have not yet received a quote for the drop-off in Anchorage. So your suggestion is to pick up Hertz car as late as possible in Seward, drive to Homer and stay for 2 nights, and then drive from Homer to Anchorage, making sure I return car before 7p? I would then turn in expensive Hertz car, and pick up another car for the rest of the trip.

This sounds like a good plan and may end up being more relaxing!

Also thanks for the heads up about Fish Creek in Denali!

What is the distance from Seward to Homer and then Homer to anchorage?

We are also headed for Seward and wasnt sure of the distance between Seward and Homer..

There is a highway to from Homer to Anchorage?

Thanks

Thank you very much BQ for the info/suggestions on this board and on the Fodors site. A question: Hertz is charging $75 a day for a basic rental. I have not yet received a quote for the drop-off in Anchorage. So your suggestion is to pick up Hertz car as late as possible in Seward, drive to Homer and stay for 2 nights, and then drive from Homer to Anchorage, making sure I return car before 7p? I would then turn in expensive Hertz car, and pick up another car for the rest of the trip.

This sounds like a good plan and may end up being more relaxing!

Also thanks for the heads up about Fish Creek in Denali!

Frankly- it IS a good plan. :)

Expect in the range of $200/day for Hertz one way Seward -Anchorage rental. I have been doing that for YEARS- rent the one way for only as long as I need it, based on a 24 hour clock, then I turn it in in Anchorage, pick up the cheap round trip car- can be done in an hour. :)

Thanks Budget Queen -- I've received more quotes & information. Enough to make my head spin! Currently I have a reservation with Hertz to pick up car on June 11th in Seward and return it to Anchorage on the 13th at $107.99/day, includes taxes. Hertz location in Seward closes at 5 p.m. but I believe they will arrange for later pick-up -- have to talk to them about that (if I have to pay for 3 days, might as well get my $$$ worth!)

FYI, I have not yet been able to find cheap car rental in Anchorage probably because I will not have the car in ANC for 5 days but I'm still working on it! Anyone use Priceline for rental cars in ANC?

BQ -- any lodging recommendations in Homer? I'm trying to readjust myself to sharing a bath in order to save $$$...

THanks again!

Kathy D.

Priceline is excellent for Anchorage rental cars. You have plenty of time so start low and work your way up with bids, Last season had rates in the $20+++/day range. Hertz may give you an hour grace??? So verify that? there are many excellent B&B's in Homer, wide range of prices- http://akms.com/ request their visitor guide. If looking for a bargain in Seward- I like Morning Calm- only 2 rooms, again spotless bath.

Check Three Moose Meadow in Homer. They have rooms and cabins. The cabin in the meadow is nice, fairly new, isolated. Sleeps QB and single upstairs and sofa bed downstairs, small kitchen balcony.

Archived