Conquest out of Galveston, why more western than eastern itineraries?

Jimbo

What is Carnival take on this? Is it just port schedules conflicts? Most cruiselines just do western, eastern every other week?

Also does anyone have that free site that shows which ships are in port at the same time?

Thanks

Jimbo:)

What is Carnival take on this? Is it just port schedules conflicts? Most cruiselines just do western, eastern every other week?

Also does anyone have that free site that shows which ships are in port at the same time?

Thanks

Because the "Eastern" itinerary out of Galveston isn't a real "Eastern" itinerary. It's a joke.

Thanks

The answer is simple... the Eastern (actually a Bahamas cruise) itinerary isn't nearly as popular as the Western.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Bahamas and LOVE Key West but there's little to offer there for shore excursions and variety.

Most folks love Cozumel regardless of how many times they've been there. The same holds true for Grand Cayman and, to a lesser extent, Montego Bay although it's my favorite port...

:)

The answer is simple... the Eastern (actually a Bahamas cruise) itinerary isn't nearly as popular as the Western.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Bahamas and LOVE Key West but there's little to offer there for shore excursions and variety.

Most folks love Cozumel regardless of how many times they've been there. The same holds true for Grand Cayman and, to a lesser extent, Montego Bay although it's my favorite port...

Like you said been there more times then I can count, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, been to Montego Bay once, never got much farther then the dudes holding machine guns, what did we miss that you like there?

Montego Bay although it's my favorite port...

Please elaborate. The majority of comments/reviews are negative.

Many recommend cruise ship sponsored tours only.

What is your usual day at Montego Bay?

I took the Eastern cruise. Was just not impressed. Like Mach said, there just was not much offered to do. I would love to go back to Key West, but that was the only port I really would return to.

I have been on the Western cruise twice, and I would do it again in a minute. There are still things I would love to do.

I can see why Western is more popular.

J:)Y

I agree with Mach. I love Montego bay. Jamaica is such a beautiful country if you can stop being afraid for 5 minutes to go actually explore it. We took a carnival sponsored tour and still had a great time. There were only about 10 or 12 of us on the tour. We had a blast! I feel bad for all the people who stay on the ship or go to Margaritaville (or equivalent). Just my 2 cents.

Like you said been there more times then I can count, Cozumel, Grand Caymen, been to Montego Bay once, never got much farther then the dudes holding machine guns, what did we miss that you like there?

Did you miss the dudes in Cozumel with the machine guns or the armed patrol boats at Punta Langosta?

Many Caribbean island have an armed military or police presence so that doesn't bother me in the least.

As for Jamaica, I've been visiting that island since the early 80's and flat love it. The people are dirt poor but very proud and occasionally a bit over aggressive in their effort to earn a few tourist dollars.

The island is gorgeous with tons to offer and some of the best tour guide in the Caribbean.

Does the island have problems? Sure it does but what place doesn't? The violence is pretty well isolated to the Kingston area, as it always has been.

If you're concerned about violence and such I'd suggest avoiding Arizona before Jamaica. Nothing against Arizona at all... it's a BEAUTIFUL state and magnificent vacation destination but we all know that there are issues there. Would the problems keep me out of Phoenix? Nope... not hardly.

Please elaborate. The majority of comments/reviews are negative.

Many recommend cruise ship sponsored tours only.

What is your usual day at Montego Bay?

Normally, I get off the ship and grab a taxi (only cars with red JUTA plates are licensed cabs...) and do a bit of shopping. I really enjoy going to Doctor's Cave Bay to hang out on the beach for a while and then lunch at Margaritaville, about 1000 feet west of the beach.

After some fun there it's back to the ship at around 4 PM for a nap and prepare for sail away.

There are many excellent tour guides available with impeccable reputations who will gladly customize a tour for your likes and schedule and the prices are amazingly reasonable.

If you just want to hang out at an AI for the day Sunset Beach Resort is a very short cab ride away.

Jamaica is rife with history and culture. Give it a try.

Oh, don't forget the Blue Mountain Coffee, Appleton Rum and Red Stripe beer!!!

Did you miss the dudes in Cozumel with the machine guns or the armed patrol boats at Punta Langosta?

Many Caribbean island have an armed military or police presence so that doesn't bother me in the least.

As for Jamaica, I've been visiting that island since the early 80's and flat love it. The people are dirt poor but very proud and occasionally a bit over aggressive in their effort to earn a few tourist dollars.

The island is gorgeous with tons to offer and some of the best tour guide in the Caribbean.

Does the island have problems? Sure it does but what place doesn't? The violence is pretty well isolated to the Kingston area, as it always has been.

If you're concerned about violence and such I'd suggest avoiding Arizona before Jamaica. Nothing against Arizona at all... it's a BEAUTIFUL state and magnificent vacation destination but we all know that there are issues there. Would the problems keep me out of Phoenix? Nope... not hardly.

Little confused about the Arizona comment. My family (parents, sister and her family) live in the Phoenix area- East Valley (Gilbert) and LOVE it (after living their entire lives in San Francisco). They are more afraid of San Francisco than Arizona. Now, if you're talking about the U.S. / Mexican border part of Arizona- definitely, but the U.S./Mexico border anywhere is dangerous. I used to work out there, before things got really bad, I wouldn't go back for any amount of money. The cartels are out of control and nobody is able to stop them (I have seen pictures of what they are capable of).

Yes, I am aware that there are a lot of people boycotting AZ. because of the anti-illegal immigration law, but my family has not seen anything bad going on. I was out there last month, and I LOVE it out there. Friendliest people that I've been around in a really long time.

Little confused about the Arizona comment. My family (parents, sister and her family) live in the Phoenix area- East Valley (Gilbert) and LOVE it (after living their entire lives in San Francisco). They are more afraid of San Francisco than Arizona. Now, if you're talking about the U.S. / Mexican border part of Arizona- definitely, but the U.S./Mexico border anywhere is dangerous. I used to work out there, before things got really bad, I wouldn't go back for any amount of money. The cartels are out of control and nobody is able to stop them (I have seen pictures of what they are capable of).

Yes, I am aware that there are a lot of people boycotting AZ. because of the anti-illegal immigration law, but my family has not seen anything bad going on. I was out there last month, and I LOVE it out there. Friendliest people that I've been around in a really long time.

I think that you missed the jist of that last paragraph. My intent was to point out that many other parts of the world experience violence, including here in the US, but that wouldn't stop me from traveling there.

Would I head down to the border unarmed? No way. Would I go to Phoenix and hang out at some of my old watering holes? You bet I would.

Where ever I travel I take what I consider to be reasonable precautions to remain safe. I think everyone would be well advised to do the same.

By the way, the ONLY place where I've even come close to having in problem was in Cozumel on the main drag in San Miguel. A little kid tried to pick my pocket.

;)

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. People can really blow things out of proportion, especially with Jamaica. I never felt in danger and we went off and explored on our own. Sure, the aggressive nature of some of the vendors and hair braiders can get annoying, but you just need to stand your ground and be assertive when dealing with them. Numerous families go to Washington D.C. on vacation, and don't seem scared, yet, you mention Jamaica and people freak out. Many cities in the United States have high crime rates, yet people aren't so concerned. In actuality when you see armed military or police overseas, you're probably safer, they want to ensure to protect the revenue that cruise ships bring in.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. People can really blow things out of proportion, especially with Jamaica. I never felt in danger and we went off and explored on our own. Sure, the aggressive nature of some of the vendors and hair braiders can get annoying, but you just need to stand your ground and be assertive when dealing with them. Numerous families go to Washington D.C. on vacation, and don't seem scared, yet, you mention Jamaica and people freak out. Many cities in the United States have high crime rates, yet people aren't so concerned. In actuality when you see armed military or police overseas, you're probably safer, they want to ensure to protect the revenue that cruise ships bring in.

Yep... you're spot on.

Take a cab with the red plates to Doctor's Cave Beach, rent a beach umbrella, have a few Red Stripes...

...walk past Margaritaville and stop for lunch at the Pork Pit for some amazing jerk pork or chicken. You'll see more locals than tourists there, but it's right on the main street. I can go to a Margaritaville virtually anywhere, but you won't find an experience like the Pork Pit anyplace else. (see the write-up in 1000 places to see before you die for more info)

...stroll along, maybe shop a little bit, head back to the beach, or head back to port depending upon time.

As long as you decline the offers for "smoke" you'll be back on the ship, safe & sound. The police with machine guns are there for your benefit, not to keep you on the ship.

I did use the Mini-Bus vouchers that Carnival offered that dropped you at several points in Montego Bay (last stop, Doctor's Cave) and had the first driver of the morning pull a fast one. "Do you want to go to the beach?" Yes. Well, instead of taking us to Doctor's Cave, he took us to this tiny strip of sand by the side of the road (it really was pathetic) and collected a payoff from the owner of the "resort." We were much happier when we got to Doctor's Cave on another bus.

No issues here in Arizona Mach

I live in the West Valley.

Phoenix native here, my family is still there. Quit talking out of your behind about the border. The crime rate along the border is actually down:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/05/02/20100502arizona-border-violence-mexico.html

As with the fear that some have with Jamaica, it's whipped up by a lazy media by those with an agenda.

I think that you missed the jist of that last paragraph. My intent was to point out that many other parts of the world experience violence, including here in the US, but that wouldn't stop me from traveling there.

Would I head down to the border unarmed? No way. Would I go to Phoenix and hang out at some of my old watering holes? You bet I would.

Where ever I travel I take what I consider to be reasonable precautions to remain safe. I think everyone would be well advised to do the same.

By the way, the ONLY place where I've even come close to having in problem was in Cozumel on the main drag in San Miguel. A little kid tried to pick my pocket.

;)

What are some of your watering holes Mach?

Phoenix native here, my family is still there. Quit talking out of your behind about the border. The crime rate along the border is actually down:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/05/02/20100502arizona-border-violence-mexico.html

As with the fear that some have with Jamaica, it's whipped up by a lazy media by those with an agenda.

I have a cousin that lives in Missouri City

Archived