Underwater Cameras?

JasmineC

They do a pretty decent job, and certainly spare your regular camera the hazards of sand, water and theft! I have used both Kodak and Fuji, and they both take decent pictures. I have had problems more than once though with the plastic lens on the Fuji camera fogging (permanently) when it comes in contact with sunscreen. You can imagine how often that would happen at the beach! So, I stick to Kodak now.

• 4 weeks later...

or check for them on ebay. I got a stack (of like 15) for $1/off Fuji disposables (underwater included), and since I bought 7 or 8 cameras, that's $7 or $8 I saved. I know they sometimes have $2/off coupons as well. :)

I've used Fuji underwaters in the past (not only exposed to the salt water, but actually while swimming IN it) and didn't have the difficulties the previous poster had...for what it's worth. :confused:

We've had the best luck with the Fuji disposables. They are only $7.88 at our local Wal Mart. We haven't had any fogging or hazy pictures from them, and we've use two on each cruise, both in fresh water and salt.

:) Thanks for asking the question JasmineC, now I know what to add to my list of things to get at WalMart. AND, thank you to all of you that answered the question, it was something I was wondering about too..... I need to get ready for my cruise next month!!

Suesan:):):)

If you are diving beware of going to deep. 30 ft is the maz depth and they mean it!!! Did a 2nd shallow dive on Coz DM says max depth is about 30 ft so I grab the camera. Having fun taking pics of wife, coral, etc. then put it away. A bit later I take it out and nothing, won't wind up, or shoot. After dive look at my dive computer and the max dive depth was 33 ft. I guess those extra 3 feet mattered!

• 2 weeks later...

On our trip to Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora, we used 2 disposable cameras & they were okay, but for the price of the camera and developing, I decided to buy an underwater 'case' for our digital (zoom) camera for our upcoming cruise. I got it on Ebay fairly cheap (less than the cost of 4 disposable cameras) and it holds my digital camera quite well, with absolutely no leaking. In no time, it will have paid for itself & after that, all the photos I take will be free (except for a small cost for printing those I want to). Also, if you're going from an air-conditioned room to a hot, humid climate, a regular camera can fog up (and that's not good for it). With this 'case' (it's more like a clear bag), I can take the camera off the ship and remove it once it's warmed up...and all the condensation will be on the outside of the case/bag.

I have a Canon Elph S500 digital camera that I just love and it's only a year old at this point. The underwater houseing that fits it specificly costs $160. So this is a lot more that just a few disposable cameras. I haven't been super thrilled with the quality of photos in the past, but they are often acceptable. I wonder if I would really get better pics with my digital or not, as it seems to be water quality that is usually the problem, along with inability to zoom which I think I could do with this special housing. I am so on the fence because I am scared about the camera getting ruined, but I would love to have better pictures. I recently saw video someone took too, but I don't know if the housing will allow me to access this feature, or it may be worth the risk of trying it. Help!

On our trip to Tahiti/Moorea/Bora Bora, we used 2 disposable cameras & they were okay, but for the price of the camera and developing, I decided to buy an underwater 'case' for our digital (zoom) camera for our upcoming cruise. I got it on Ebay fairly cheap (less than the cost of 4 disposable cameras) and it holds my digital camera quite well, with absolutely no leaking. In no time, it will have paid for itself & after that, all the photos I take will be free (except for a small cost for printing those I want to). Also, if you're going from an air-conditioned room to a hot, humid climate, a regular camera can fog up (and that's not good for it). With this 'case' (it's more like a clear bag), I can take the camera off the ship and remove it once it's warmed up...and all the condensation will be on the outside of the case/bag.

Which case did you get?

Have you guys looked into getting underwater bags like this?

http://www.camerahacker.com/ewa-marine/D-CP2.html

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2553361

Target has a pixtreme underwater digital camera for $150. Its a 3.1 MP camera. Did a search on the net, and so far everyone else seems to be selling it from $250 - $300. Thinking about buying this, instead of a bunch of disposables. Anyone else have this camera?

Love the Kodak disposable underwater cameras. Even if you're not taking them in the water, they are nice to take to the beach - but I really do miss my digital on those excursions. I do get the photos put on disk, but still...

Be careful with your digital at the beach or on a boat - even if you have no plans to go in the water. My digital camera is still "unhappy" with the sand or salt that got caught in the lens mechanism. I can still hear a slight grinding when the camera is opened and closed. However, now that the camera is over two years old, we are getting more "free" with it - taking it on "dirtier" excursions. When I buy a new camera, I will continue to take my old digital on vacation, so I can use it at the beach.

And I'll spring for at least one underwater camera because when you're actually in the water - a waterproof camera can't be beat. It's so much fun to be able to take those type of photos.

Archived