LAX to Santa Monica to Universal

gbcruise

Arriving LAX in early AM. If I rented a car from the airport & used it to tour Santa Monica then drove to Hilton Universal will I have a place to return the car close to the hotel? which car rental agency? If so we will be in tow with all our luggage for a prestay of 2 days before our 7 day cruise.

We also have about 5-6 hours after we disembark the cruise before we fly out of LAX. Any suggestions on what to do,will have luggage which may be a problem as Southwest is our airline which doesnt have luggage transfer from ship to airport.

Thank you for the previous suggestions, we have planned our other two days with advice from the boards.

Here's the answer for the car rental.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g32655-i61-k3537721-Hilton_Universal_Car_Rental-Los_Angeles_California.html

How are you getting to the port? Why not keep the car and drop it there?

For post cruise, you could take a cab to Long Beach and go to the aquarium--it has a luggage storage area.

The aquarium is a wonderful idea, I will look into that.

So are you saying that the port has a return for car rentals? That would be very convenient. One of the reasons we were just going to rent for one day is that the other two days we really will not be needing a car and I felt the extra two days rental plus the fees for parking would be excessive.

There is an Enterprise office in San Pedro that will take you to the Port. In Long Beach, you can drop off a Hertz or Budget car. Budget offers a shuttle. With Hertz, you may have to take a cab. With Enterprise, you need to call to make arrangements to drop off at a location differrent than pick up.

but--if the car is just going to be parked and you are paying parking for it, I too would just drop it off and take a shuttle from Universal.

• 2 weeks later...

Patricia......I have all plans made for the precruise based upon your info previously, will be renting from Enterprise & dropping off near Universal. Postcruise will I find vans waiting outside the port that can take us to the Aquarium in Longbeach? If so do you know what kind of rates and length of time for transport? We then need a van from the Aquarium to LAX, again wondering about time frame & approximate transport charge? Both times 4 people and luggage. I believe luggage storage is still available at the aquarium??? I am also looking at arriving 3 hours prior to our flight, is that enough? Thank you!

I called the Aquarium but was too late to speak to a real live person to verify that luggage storage is still available. But will do that for you tomorrow (Sunday 7/4)

The website is www.aquariumofthepacific.org

I would take a cab from San Pedro to the Aquarium of Long Beach--I think the cost per person for a shuttle would be quite a bit more than a cab.

I would make a reservation in advance with Supershuttle or PrimeTime shuttle to be picked up at the Aquarium about 3 hours before your flight. It should be no more than 45 minutes to LAX to Terminal 1 for Southwest. You will probably be checked in and ready to go early--but better that than stressing if you are going to make you airplane.

You are so very helpful. I have a couple questions for the Aquarium as well so will give them a call today.

My family will need a van to go to the Aquarium seeing as its 4 adults and 6 pieces of luggage. Will I find vans at the port or will I need 2 cabs?

Sorry--can't help you regarding whether any of the cabs at the port will be minivans--but there might be as the dispatchers know people that cruise take lots of luggage with them (or perhaps not as much as they use to based on the extra fees charged by many airlines.)

The Aquarium of the Pacific said that it does do luggage storage. It is free and can be left at the information desk.

Have a wonderful trip!

PatriciaF

Patricia, you have been wonderful with all the information you provide. Please if you ever get to the Midwest let me know. We have many great places to see & we love to help you in anyway.

Glad to be of help. Our midwest visiting days are probably over with the graduation of our daughter from Notre Dame in 2006! We do love Chicago. My husband has an elderly uncle that still lives there. So--a trip or two to Chicago may be in the future.

Archived