Questions about Norwegian Gem

Hi there,

We are looking into booking another family cruise for next year. We were all on our first ever one July 2009, Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas. It was fantastic and none of us could fault a thing. We hope for the same with our next cruise.

What we are looking at is NCL Norwegian Gem - Venice & the Aegean Sea - 7th Aug 2011.

I have a few questions about this ship:

1. does it suit various age groups? (60, 56, 45, 34, 45, 31, 28, 26 and 3)

2. what type of bed would be given to my 3 year old Nephew as he would be unable to sleep in a bunk bed.

3. is smoking permitted on private balconies?

4. Are there any formal nights?

5. Would you recommend the evening entertainment?

6. is the food quality good?

That’s all I think of for now but any info is appreciated! :cool:

Hi there,

We are looking into booking another family cruise for next year. We were all on our first ever one July 2009, Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas. It was fantastic and none of us could fault a thing. We hope for the same with our next cruise.

What we are looking at is NCL Norwegian Gem - Venice & the Aegean Sea- 7th Aug 2011.

I have a few questions about this ship:

1. does it suit various age groups? (60, 56, 45, 34, 45, 31, 28, 26 and 3) YES

2. what type of bed would be given to my 3 year old Nephew as he would be unable to sleep in a bunk bed.Depends on the cabin , but some have sofa beds or he would share with another or they could set up a foam pad with blanks on the floor. That will be up to his parents.

3. is smoking permitted on private balconies? YES

4. Are there any formal nights? 2 but they are not mandatory and resort casual is common.

5. Would you recommend the evening entertainment? Depends on your taste , but I find some it to be enjoyable.

6. is the food quality good? The food is good and even better in some of the specialty eaterys , theres always some where and something to satisfy.

That’s all I think of for now but any info is appreciated! :cool:

Have fun ;)

Hi Sunshine!

Myself (20) and my parents (53 and 58) were on the Gem last september and it was excellent! i would definately say that it is suitable for all ages. there is decent nightlife in the bliss lounge and there is a themed party each night for the younger members of your party and also activities during the day and the entertainment at night is varied for older and younger alike. we went to a show on one of the nights which was like a combination of music eras which was quite good... good costumes and singing and dancing was faultless. they also do entertainment shows in the lounges at night like audience participation, we went along to the Mr and Mrs night, which was actually very funny!

We had a mini suite at the aft and it was perfect for all three of us. we could have got another person in the room with ease, as we only used it for sleeping and changing, etc.

just depending on the room type that you book, i would say your nephew would probably have a sofa bed/pullout, unless he was booked into an inside cabin or oceanview, which has the 2 lower 2 upper bed arrangement for more than 2 guests.

there is no mandatory formal night on NCL cruises. any night you want to dress up... feel free! but you can spend the entire cruise in your flip flops if you want to :-)

last and by no means least, the food is excellent. there is something for everyone and i kid you not. the blue lagoon has a set menu which they make fresh for you and is open 24 hours... then there is the great outdoors/the garden cafe has buffet style food all day which changes from breakfast to lunch to dinner. it is always god for a quick nibble any time of day and they do themed cuisine aswell... then theres the speciality places, which have excellent food but at an additional cost. if you want to try just one of them, id advise cagneys... steak is to die for!

hope that helped a little bit... if you want to know anything else, give me a shout! :-)

Sarah.

Archived