Rome - day trip by train, complicated?

Jo and Rob

I have been looking at the idea of taking the train to Rome for the four of us (as a recommended limotour was going to be 500 euros!!!) There seem to be lots of different sort of trains what do you recommend?

Can we turn up at the station and buy a ticket there?

What time do trains leave in the morning?

How frequent do trains return?

The railways are unreliable in the UK and we wouldn't want to miss the boat, are the trains in Italy better?

When we get to Rome what should we do? Can you go on the buses as part of the train ticket and if so does it cost extra and would we use it?

What should we visit when we get there?

What are the must see places and what has queues so long it is not worth bothering about?

Anything that appeals to children (age 9 and 6)?

Advice much appreciated.

There seem to be lots of different sort of trains what do you recommend?
The Regional trains run most frequently, take approx. 60-70 minutes and are 9 euros each return (for a BIRG ticket.)

Can we turn up at the station and buy a ticket there?
yes

What time do trains leave in the morning?

How frequent do trains return?

the trains run every 30-45 minutes; you can see the schedule here.When you enter the station destination, use "Roma Termini", and for the time, just use 7, or 8, not 0700, 0800.

The railways are unreliable in the UK and we wouldn't want to miss the boat, are the trains in Italy better?
They have occasional strikes, but often they are called off before they happen. A site that provides strike info.

When we get to Rome what should we do? .... What should we visit when we get there?
If you just have a port day, a few options to choose from: Colosseum, Forum, Vatican/Sistine Chapel/St. Peter's Basilica, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, Piazza Navona, Spanish Steps. Highly recommend picking up a guidebook such as this one or this one.

Can you go on the buses as part of the train ticket and if so does it cost extra and would we use it?
City buses and the metro (subway) are included in your 9 euro BIRG ticket.

What are the must see places and what has queues so long it is not worth bothering about?
I've mentioned some 'must see' places above ... if you go to the Vatican Museums, you can avoid the lines by ordering tickets in advance. The Colosseum often has long lines if you purchase your ticket there, but you can purchase it at the Forum and bypass the ticket line at the Colosseum. (Still need to go through security, which is the faster moving of the two lines (I think the one on the left if I remember correctly.)

Anything that appeals to children (age 9 and 6)?
If you are walking, have a contest to see who can spot the drinking fountains. They are everywhere, very interesting (ancient), each one is different, and the water tastes delicious (bring water bottles). Eating Gelato will also be a highlight, and if you can find somewhere to sit at the Trevi Fountain or Piazza Navona to enjoy your Gelato, even better. Here's a website with some other ideas (I see that she agrees with my suggestion re the fountains.:))

Good luck with your plans.

Thank you so much Susan M for taking the time to answer my questions.

If you are going to do the train into Rome, remember to validate your tickets at the little machine on the station concourse:)

I have to say that Susan-M gave the best response to questions that I have read on CC:)

Archived