Not informed I had to request baby food

pinotjolie

21st century babies deserve the benefit of 21st century knowledge.

I was driven home from the hospital after a five-week NICU stay without a carseat; in fact, I was placed between my parents on the bench seat as they drove. I survived, but that doesn't mean today's safer alternatives are pointless. I have a master's and a doctorate, but not because of that ride home.

I can understand you'd be sensitive to today's recommendations, because it implies the way you did things was "wrong", when really you were just doing what "normal" was at the time. "Normal" has changed. Parents today would not be allowed to take a newborn home without a carseat, and parents today are given very different feeding recommendations - based on quality, systematic study - than what was de rigeur just a generation ago.

Geez!! "De riguer" a generation ago made YOU "normal". So were my kids one generation ago. I was raised on cows' milk and mashed table food two generations ago. It was "de riguer" at the time. I have a bunch of degrees, too, but always attributed them to initiative and years of hard work. Happily retired.

Yes, too bad what is reported as fact "based on quality, systematic study" often turns out to be quite the opposite. The first one that comes to mind is the now discredited 1998 study by Dr. Andrew Wakefield that incorrectly linked the MMR vaccine to autism.

I think people are not sensitive to how others want to feed their children, but rather to being talked down to in a condescending manner.

Why is it when somebody posts about new recommendations that someone always has to get all defensive and act offended? Nobody ever said that how you raised your children was wrong. It is just not what the current recommendations are. I like to look at it this way. Would you prefer to ride around in a car without airbags? Or, do you want to be in one with air bags? Probably, the second option, right? Well, for years you rode in a car without air bags, but now that air bags are standard it sounds like a better option. Well, now that further research has been done why not feed our children breastmilk or formula for an extended amount of time? What does it hurt? Nothing, and it may just be helpful, so why not?

Why is it when somebody posts about new recommendations that someone always has to get all defensive and act offended? Nobody ever said that how you raised your children was wrong. It is just not what the current recommendations are. I like to look at it this way. Would you prefer to ride around in a car without airbags? Or, do you want to be in one with air bags? Probably, the second option, right? Well, for years you rode in a car without air bags, but now that air bags are standard it sounds like a better option. Well, now that further research has been done why not feed our children breastmilk or formula for an extended amount of time? What does it hurt? Nothing, and it may just be helpful, so why not?

Maybe because based on our personal experiences we survived without all the recommendations of the current experts! I never wore a helmet while on a bike, my mom fed me whole milk before I was a year old. I never had knee pads; I played with my friends without parental supervision. I rode my bike around the neighborhood. And guess what? I survived!!!!!! Pedophiles are not a recent phenomenon! They were there when I was a child. Bad things happened for generations before I was born. But, because of the 24/7 news cycle we are now more aware of all the bad people out there.

I mourn for the kids of today who do not (are not allowed to) spread their wings and think with their minds! What has happened to using your imagination to pass the time?????????????????

I was raised on fresh milk, fresh vegitables, home grown meat and very little junk food. I think im remarkably well adjusted lol. Ok Ok so I live in the frozen north now on purpose and choose to freeze braincells on purpose but other then that. Im fine perfectly normal lol :).

Adri

P.s oh and I dident wear a helmet as a kid when I rode bikes and dont listen to my family when they proclaim "That explains a lot" lolol :)

Yes, too bad what is reported as fact "based on quality, systematic study" often turns out to be quite the opposite. The first one that comes to mind is the now discredited 1998 study by Dr. Andrew Wakefield that incorrectly linked the MMR vaccine to autism.

Given that the Wakefield study involved just 12 children, it has been called many things, but "quality" has NEVER been one of them.

I think people are not sensitive to how others want to feed their children, but rather to being talked down to in a condescending manner

I was thinking the same thing. Here a cruiser sought help and advice and maybe a little venting about her situation obtaining purees, and instead of offering insight, she was instead told she shouldn't be feeding her child purees anyway.

Seems very out of place and condescending for the focus of the thread to go from helping the OP to critiquing her parenting. That should not have occurred in the first place. It's not as if she is harming or endangering her child, in fact, she's actually feeding in concert with American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines. No need to criticize her.

Seems very out of place and condescending for the focus of the thread to go from helping the OP to critiquing her parenting. That should not have occurred in the first place. It's not as if she is harming or endangering her child, in fact, she's actually feeding in concert with American Academy of Pediatrics guidelines. No need to criticize her.

I think people were pointing out that an older baby CAN eat tablefood. My oldest was probably eating babyfood the longest, and with each child, I relaxed a bit, and started tablefood earlier and earlier. Vacationing is much easier without having to mess with babyfood.

Archived